37 years today

Started by T Fearon, October 01, 2016, 05:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

A Pope set foot in Ireland for the first and to date only time.I remember getting the Belfast to Dublin (filled with Scottish Celtic supporters who had come over in the boat that morning) train at Portdown,and a shuttle bus from Connolly to the Phoenix Park.Even though it was a Saturday,Dublin City was at a standstill,the Pope was the only show in town.The day itself in Phoenix Park seemed to go on forever,and I did eventually get a reasonably close up view as Pope John Paul II did the rounds in the Pope Mobile.

Any others have memories.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 05:56:53 PM
A Pope set foot in Ireland for the first and to date only time.I remember getting the Belfast to Dublin (filled with Scottish Celtic supporters who had come over in the boat that morning) train at Portdown,and a shuttle bus from Connolly to the Phoenix Park.Even though it was a Saturday,Dublin City was at a standstill,the Pope was the only show in town.The day itself in Phoenix Park seemed to go on forever,and I did eventually get a reasonably close up view as Pope John Paul II did the rounds in the Pope Mobile.

Any others have memories.
He came to Galway. The Racecourse in a helicopter. Got up very early.
There were hymns that they did at mass for months afterwards

T Fearon

My mum and dad went to Knock to see him later that same Sunday.Memories still very fresh even though it was nearly forty years ago

T Fearon

As usual it was contentious up North and even Paisley felt the need in advance that while he disagrees with everything the Pope says and believes he would nevertheless deplore any attempt on the Pope's life

laoislad

I heard he went to Coppers afterwards and shifted a Nurse from Carlow.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Nigel White

Quote from: laoislad on October 01, 2016, 07:07:00 PM
Did you really need to put that up?

bennydorano

Fearon or PJP?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on October 01, 2016, 08:14:02 PM
Fearon or PJP?
Both. They were sisters from Carlow. Not Sisters hopefully!

Hardy

I found the mass hysteria disturbing.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on October 01, 2016, 11:07:54 PM
I found the mass hysteria disturbing.
I felt the same when Clinton was in Dublin in 1996

T Fearon

Did this pave the way for open air rock concerts at venues like Slane? It showed that big crowds could be accommodated and managed in ample open spaces etc?

seafoid

I think it paved the way for the 1983 abortion referendum
The Pope was a fundi
That vote was the last highlight of Church control in Ireland
You had the Eamon Casey story a few years later and after that the wheels came off

T Fearon

The Youth Mass in Galway was something else.It is a pity,in retrospect,that Casey and Clery played such prominent roles,but then again no one was aware of their misdemeanours.

His plea for an end to violence in the North, on "bended knee" was very emotional and won grudging respect from many unionists

Nigel White

So you were in Dubln and Galway?

T Fearon

No.I was in Dublin,but watched the mass in Galway live on BBC NI.