Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 07, 2020, 09:17:21 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 07, 2020, 09:11:32 PM
I don't care what anyone says, but social media is a big part of today's mental health issues.

Everyone is connected but nobody is actually taking the time to meet and talk properly.

What is worse is that I witnessed people 'making hay' out of this tragedy on social media today!  Let the family grieve without trying to put yourself front and centre. It's actually disgusting.

For the next generation it's all about those likes and retweets. Thoughts and prayers, heart emojis. Repeat.

Gives them validation they aren't getting in their real life because they spend all day on social media. It's a viscous circle.

Rudi

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 08, 2020, 01:08:34 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 08, 2020, 10:58:00 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 08, 2020, 10:02:07 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2020, 10:25:02 PM
Substance abuse, sexuality struggles , sex abuse, economic hardships, loss of religion without a spiritual replacement, legacy strife from troubles. All need dealt with.

Agree with most, but not sure about "loss of religion without spiritual replacement"

Do you think not having a deity to worship or afterlife to strive for causes mental health issues?

It is just my own theory(I am not a Mass goer), but I think a loss of faith can lead to despair. I cant really articulate properly what I am trying to say, but a lot of our old values(religious or spiritual) have been replaced with shallow and materialistic values. As I said just my own thoughts, and it would be lower down the list for me than some of the other things I listed.

I agree. I know alot of people like to throw the boot into the church and of course some of the scandals associated with them are horrific. But we haven't replaced that spiritual connection since the dissasocistion with religion began in the 90s/00s. Any wonder depression and suicude is so rife. What would be the point in life if you didn't have some sort of belief in a higher power?

Well put and would strongly agree.

Rudi

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 08, 2020, 01:15:36 PM
I don't care what anyone says, but social media is a big part of today's mental health issues.

Everyone is connected but nobody is actually taking the time to meet and talk properly.

What is worse is that I witnessed people 'making hay' out of this tragedy on social media today!  Let the family grieve without trying to put yourself front and centre. It's actually disgusting.

For the next generation it's all about those likes and retweets. Thoughts and prayers, heart emojis. Repeat.

Gives them validation they aren't getting in their real life because they spend all day on social media. It's a viscous circle.

Agree again, in the past humans got little or no validation, now a days likes on facebook etc, thankfully I dont or ever will have a facebook account.

Captain Obvious

What would be the point in life if you didn't have some sort of belief in a higher power?

That's like something a priest would write. Plenty get on well in life without the need of religion/faith.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rudi on January 08, 2020, 01:40:43 PM

Agree again, in the past humans got little or no validation, now a days likes on facebook etc, thankfully I dont or ever will have a facebook account.

Never been on it either, and won't be.

I don't see/hear what friends, family, neighbours are up to on a night out/holiday, unless I speak to them in person. I don't really give a shit that your dog can howl 'bohemian rhapsody' or you had lasagne for your dinner. And nobody cares what I had for my dinner either because it's not important.

I'm sure if I was on FB, I'd start to feel like I was inadequate. Do I wish I had a better car? Yes. More money? Yes. A bigger tv? Aye why not. 4 holidays a year? Yeah wouldn't mind. But I'm comfortable in myself, know what I can afford and what is realistic, and know what's really important in life. But I think once you're  on FB, a lot of rational thinking goes out the window and you get immersed in this fantasy land.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on January 08, 2020, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: Rudi on January 08, 2020, 01:40:43 PM

Never been on it either, and won't be.

I don't see/hear what friends, family, neighbours are up to on a night out/holiday, unless I speak to them in person. I don't really give a shit that your dog can howl 'bohemian rhapsody' or you had lasagne for your dinner. And nobody cares what I had for my dinner either because it's not important.

I'm sure if I was on FB, I'd start to feel like I was inadequate. Do I wish I had a better car? Yes. More money? Yes. A bigger tv? Aye why not. 4 holidays a year? Yeah wouldn't mind. But I'm comfortable in myself, know what I can afford and what is realistic, and know what's really important in life. But I think once you're  on FB, a lot of rational thinking goes out the window and you get immersed in this fantasy land.

Facebook is used for various reasons, not all, look at me and what I'm eating, conversing with family abroad or seeing their photos can be good. The younger ones are not on it as much in fairness, My two daughters (19, and 16 ) would use other social media like snapchat Instagram and its all about the followers and checking out the youtubers, facebook falls down in that age group. Whereas my eldest uses his for work promotion purposes.

Anyone that gets hung up on someone going on holiday (a normal thing) or someone having pints out with their mates or someone at Croke Park for instance is a snowflake, and would probably get annoyed at anything. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Substance abuse, sexuality struggles , sex abuse, economic hardships, loss of religion without a spiritual replacement, legacy strife from troubles. All need dealt with.

Agree with most, but not sure about "loss of religion without spiritual replacement"

Do you think not having a deity to worship or afterlife to strive for causes mental health issues?

It is just my own theory(I am not a Mass goer), but I think a loss of faith can lead to despair. I cant really articulate properly what I am trying to say, but a lot of our old values(religious or spiritual) have been replaced with shallow and materialistic values. As I said just my own thoughts, and it would be lower down the list for me than some of the other things I listed.

I agree. I know alot of people like to throw the boot into the church and of course some of the scandals associated with them are horrific. But we haven't replaced that spiritual connection since the dissasocistion with religion began in the 90s/00s. Any wonder depression and suicude is so rife. What would be the point in life if you didn't have some sort of belief in a higher power?

I read Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind a few months back and it touches on this to an extent. It was belief in a greater power / the power of the group which moved Homo Sapien from being just one more animal competing for survival to the dominant species on earth. Having a belief, even if only a belief in the common good does give direction.

RedHand88

Will give that a go thanks.

Orior

Quote from: LeoMc on January 08, 2020, 03:44:41 PM

I read Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind a few months back and it touches on this to an extent. It was belief in a greater power / the power of the group which moved Homo Sapien from being just one more animal competing for survival to the dominant species on earth. Having a belief, even if only a belief in the common good does give direction.

I read it too. Great first half, but I struggled with the rest.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnnycool

Quote from: johnnycool on January 07, 2020, 02:59:43 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2020, 02:43:03 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
You can infer what happened from the way the articles are written. He "died suddenly".

Unfortunately I heard that was the case :(

Sad for all those involved.

If it was suicide is the reason it's not widely published an attempt not to glorify it?

I found this on guidelines on reporting suicide.

https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/June-2018/Why-Suicide-Reporting-Guidelines-Matter

The concern is contagion and I get that to an extent but then that let's the likes of the social media numpties set the tone of the suicide issue if it's not brought out into the open in a controlled and factual manner!

J70

That life is worth living for its own sake?

StephenC

TabClear

Actor Derek Fowlds

Best known for playing Bernard Woolley in Yes Minister, along with Oscar Blaketon in Heartbeat for 18 years.

IMO Yes Minister/Prime Minister is one of the greatest ever comedies, still graet watching almost 40 years on and Fowlds was brilliant in his role.

Dire Ear

Terry Jones Monty Python 77

BennyCake

Quote from: Dire Ear on January 22, 2020, 01:03:26 PM
Terry Jones Monty Python 77

He was not the Messiah, he was a very naughty boy!

RIP

Wasn't he suffering from dementia?