Time to ditch a United Ireland and Build a Northern Irish Identity

Started by Applesisapples, November 19, 2013, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Mairead Corrigan Maguire in the IN yesterday exhorts us all to accept a United Ireland is not going to happen. Therefore she says we should all join together and forge a Northern Irish identity. Is this a runner? If so what would it look like, how will it square Irish culture and the GAA with so British Culture and marching. How will she persuade Unionists to give up their fleg for a new NI one. Would a majority of nationalists buy into it? Or are we happy with our twin community approach?

DennistheMenace

Rory McElroy would love that. The middle ground is nothing in NI.

Feckitt

I know, why don't we do what the media have been telling us to do for the last 30 years.

1.  Start supporting Norn Iron, Green & White Army, Best supporters in the world.
2.  Send your kids to Integrated school where they can forget this being Irish carry on, and be Northern Irish.
3.  Support the Alliance Party. 
4.  Celebrate our Northern Irish culture, Tayto Crisps, Bout ye, Julian Simmons, Frank Mitchell's Ultimate Ulster.
5.  Use Rory McIlroy as your example.  He may be a Catholic, but he can drape himself in the Ulster Fleg and be Norn Irish.
6.  Start going to Ravenhill.  All the social climbers are there, including 'catholics'.  Come on now, Ullllllster, Ulllllster, Ullllster !!
7.  Practice your affected accent so you can be accepted at your local golf club.
8.  Wear your poppy with pride.  They fought for all our freedoms, Catholic & Protestant alike.
9.  It's Derry/Londonderry, to say anything else makes you a bigot.  The south is now called 'Ireland'.
10.  Irish dancing is part of our heritage, so is Finn McCool.  There told you being Northern Irish is inclusive.
11.  David Healy

If you disagree with any of this, then you really belong in the past, and are most likely an undesirable individual.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Why are people starting to post non-GAA stuff in this section of the board?

Applesisapples

muppet

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Situation + nobody loves us + Sainsburys + Crossmaglen Helicopter landing pad + 15 county titles
+ Ulster fry + Julian + 46% funding from London + political murals + Jackie Fullerton + (Fermanagh = the southwest)
+ Mickey Harte + PSNI =  neither one thing nor the other or maybe both simultaneously   .

A intersection B   

Feckitt

Quote from: seafoid on November 19, 2013, 05:26:13 PM
Situation + nobody loves us + Sainsburys + Crossmaglen Helicopter landing pad + 15 county titles
+ Ulster fry + Julian + 46% funding from London + political murals + Jackie Fullerton + (Fermanagh = the southwest)
+ Mickey Harte + PSNI =  neither one thing nor the other or maybe both simultaneously   .

A intersection B   

Seafoid, you're half right.  If we all adopt this Norn Iron identity then we have to drop Crossmaglen, county titles and Mickey Harte and replace it with Jonny Evans, Joey Dunlop and Dame Mary Peters

The Iceman

Its funny this could happen.
Protestants will deny the past - I have spoken to many "friends" who are completely brainwashed as to what went on during the "struggle" and why/how the occupied 6 exists. So to those boys anyone who thinks different is an ignorant taig.
Then you have these watered down "Irish" men and women who are tired and just want to live in peace and if thats under a Union Jack then ok I guess. They are slowly being affected by the rants of Jamie Bryson on the news and feeling sorry for the "craters" - sympathy leads to empathy and next thing you know they are celebrating the 12th of July again
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Dont Matter

Quote from: The Iceman on November 19, 2013, 05:41:55 PM
Protestants will deny the past - I have spoken to many "friends" who are completely brainwashed as to what went on during the "struggle" and why/how the occupied 6 exists. So to those boys anyone who thinks different is an ignorant taig.
Then you have these watered down "Irish" men and women who are tired and just want to live in peace and if thats under a Union Jack then ok I guess. They are slowly being affected by the rants of Jamie Bryson on the news and feeling sorry for the "craters" - sympathy leads to empathy and next thing you know they are celebrating the 12th of July again

Plenty in the 26 like that too.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

theskull1

Quote from: The Iceman on November 19, 2013, 05:41:55 PM

Yeah  ::) .... enjoy thanksgiving now wont you  :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

Whatever about accepting what Mairead says,you can hardly deny what she says.A united Ireland is further away than ever,so is there any point in hankering after one?

AQMP

Quote from: T Fearon on November 20, 2013, 07:27:04 AM
Whatever about accepting what Mairead says,you can hardly deny what she says.A united Ireland is further away than ever,so is there any point in hankering after one?

While I might agree with her analysis on the likelihood of a United Ireland any time soon, I can't see the link between that fact/opinion and why that means I should change my identity?

Fact/Opinion:  It is unlikely that Antrim will win an All Ireland soon. 

Therefore:  I should stop hankering after that and identify myself as Dub or Kerryman??

Count 10

Quote from: T Fearon on November 20, 2013, 07:27:04 AM

About as far away as Celtic winning Champions league and Armagh winning Sam.......doesn't stop you!! ;)