Whats going on in BBC NI

Started by Applesisapples, July 31, 2012, 05:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

First we had BBC NI emphasising the North Vs South angle on Joanna Mills. Then we had Stephen OWC Watson referring to the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Team, when everyone else on the BBC just calls it GB. We even had Mark Sidebottom sheepishly refer to GB & NI. And loads of references to Irish and Northern Irish athletes who are representing Ireland! Is this balance for showing a couple of GAA games? Or is there a deliberate partisan policy in BBC NI to get in behind the Unionist take on things? To my mind any one who represents Ireland is Irish, north or south or west for that matter, no need to go on like they do. In fairness they also refer to the Northern Ireland (sic) athletes at the games...there is no such team. There is Team GB or Team Ireland period.

AQMP

The official team name is Great Britain & Northern Ireland.  "Team GB" is a brand name or trading name of the team**.  It does rankle with what EG would call the usual suspects, Gregory Campbell has called for it to be changed to "Team UK" and Nelson McCausland has called for an  alternative.  It must cause Stephen Watson a bit of a problem too (I have to be careful calling out Stevo).

BBCNI is populated with a lot of what I term "Little Northern Irelanders" who still think Unionists should be frightened by and/or suspicious of what lies beyond Belleek, Newry and "Londonderry".  The reporting of the weather has improved slightly (though sadly not the weather itself) with the occasional reference to rain in the "south of Ireland" but we are still treated daily to a brief summary of the weather in Norwich and Plymouth but rarely Donegal or Cavan (I suppose we know the weather is going to be shite there anyway).

**Edit:  I think this name belongs to the British Olympic Assoc.

Dougal Maguire

The best one ever was when they announced that the 2013 All Ireland Fleadh Cheoil was coming to Londonderry
Careful now

Eamonnca1

Well at least the weather map no longer shows the waves of the Atlantic lapping on the shores of Aughnacloy

Hoof Hearted

call it team whatever you like at the minute - preferably "Team Shite and Overrated"
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 31, 2012, 05:01:46 PM
First we had BBC NI emphasising the North Vs South angle on Joanna Mills. Then we had Stephen OWC Watson referring to the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Team, when everyone else on the BBC just calls it GB. We even had Mark Sidebottom sheepishly refer to GB & NI. And loads of references to Irish and Northern Irish athletes who are representing Ireland! Is this balance for showing a couple of GAA games? Or is there a deliberate partisan policy in BBC NI to get in behind the Unionist take on things? To my mind any one who represents Ireland is Irish, north or south or west for that matter, no need to go on like they do. In fairness they also refer to the Northern Ireland (sic) athletes at the games...there is no such team. There is Team GB or Team Ireland period.
So where do you stand on the (Northern) Irish athletes representing Team GB?

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on July 31, 2012, 08:48:47 PM
Quite entitled to if they wish, although I would prefer if all irish athletes represented the island as in other sports, but it is understandable that some from a unionist background prefer to represent Team GB, however I feel that this is more of a funding issue. My gripe is not with athletes but with the ppro unionist reporting by some elements within the BBC and not just Olympics, but listen out for hurling results in sport on Mondays there is no mention unless the team is "Northern Irish". So much for equality and parity of esteem.

AQMP

Having criticised Stephen Watson in the past I have to credit him with featuring a few seconds on "Team Ireland" last night (though he's still trying to claim "Ulster athlete" Chloe Magee).  He did refer again to "Team GB & NI".

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on August 01, 2012, 10:14:12 AM
Having criticised Stephen Watson in the past I have to credit him with featuring a few seconds on "Team Ireland" last night (though he's still trying to claim "Ulster athlete" Chloe Magee).  He did refer again to "Team GB & NI".

You've got to credit him with using Ulster in its truest sense and not the Ulster the Rev Ian Paisley thought was 6 counties.

AQMP

Quote from: michaelg on July 31, 2012, 08:48:47 PM

michael, Like AiA, I don't have a problem with people from the North representing GB.  People born in the North are "lucky" to be able to make a choice of two teams.  I know a few people in rowing circles who have told me that Alan Campbell spent his youth in the Rowing Ireland system and would have no problem rowing for Ireland (and did so as a junior) but the amount of money being pumped into rowing in GB meant he had the opportunity to become a full time athlete which he wouldn't have had here.  So fair play to him, I hope he does well.

Most athletes make a choice and stick to it.  Other times circumstances change for a person e.g. Lithuanian born  rower Puspure representing Ireland, she has settled here so again fair play..but I do smile at athletes like Yamile Aldama who is about to compete in her third Olympics...for a third different country.

aontroim

Tonight a feature on Irish cyclist David McCann's performance in the time trial.  Austin O'Callaghan referred to him being part of the Irish team, back to '@winkerwatson1' who ends the piece with '...great servant to Northern Irish cycling' - he really just can't allow himself to say the 'I' word can he?

Olaf

In the same way as BBC Wales or BBC Scotland refer to Welsh or Scottish athletes of course.

LeoMc

Donegal very Kerry on today for those of us who dont get TV3.
Recognising a 9 county Ulster. Credit where its due.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: LeoMc on August 05, 2012, 02:08:14 PM

Credit my arse, they wont show anything that doesnt gaurantee big ratings

Minder

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 05, 2012, 02:46:44 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 05, 2012, 02:08:14 PM

Credit my arse, they wont show anything that doesnt gaurantee big ratings

They have shown every QF game featuring a northern team for the last few years so I am not sure what your point is. Mayo v Down a big ratings pull ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"