Michaela McAreavy Murder Trial-Will Justice be Done?

Started by Applesisapples, May 25, 2012, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Is it just me being a xenophobe? I find the antics of the lawyers, jury and public at the trial of the two men accused of Michaela's murder disgusting. Surely no right thinking society can allow its judicial system to be degraded in this way? The sniggering and laughter in court must be soul destroying for Mark Harte and Claire McAreavy not to mention downright distressing. Holiday destination my arse all right thinking people should avoid Mauritius like the plague. I can't see the Harte and McAreavy families getting justice judging by the way this trial is being conducted and the behaviour of the Defence, Police and Prosecution. It's a parody of due process and sad to see.

Tubberman

I half-heard a bit on the radio this morning saying that there was laughing in the court room which must have been disturbing for the family.
What were they laughing or sniggering about? It's a murder trial ffs, hardly light-hearted. I read that John McAreavy had to battle through crowds just to get into the courthouse the first day as well. Seems like it's a bit of a media 'event' in Maurituis.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Applesisapples

One of the defence lawyers was playing to the gallery, making fun of policemen etc... The judge apparently saw nothing wrong with it. My heart goes out to the Family.

thejuice

That's disgraceful carry on. I wish them all the strength to get through this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

EC Unique

If I were them I would be on the first plane out of there. Complete waste of time.

Can't be sure the right men are in the dock and can't be sure if any real justice is being done. Nothing will bring her back now so f**k Mauritius and it's 'Justice' system. >:(

magpie seanie

Not as simple as that though I'd agree with the sentiments. I'd imagine John McAreavey has to be there as a witness.

God bless them all. This "trial" can't be helping matters.

ziggysego

The whole thing just seems very suss, from the get go. The investigations has been a shambles by the sounds of it and the laughing in the court, leaves a very bad taste in my house.

I seen Mauritians been interviewed by the BBC, the day before the trail. They didn't seem to bothered by the murder, other by the damage they felt it might do to tourism, which is minimum they believe. They were all smiles and laughing.

Disgusted.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Unfortunately for the family it looks like this is going to be a bit of an ordeal...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18202919

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Ulick

The BBC aren't doing themselves or the family any favours with the salacious slant to their reporting. Compare and contrast with the PA report which all other out outlets are running with.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5io1kQt_PjEC95bCy-DZLoDQIWr6g?docId=N0320311337931659728A

Orior

That's awful for the family.

I was surprised to hear that the PSNI also attended the hearings. Was that out of some jurisdiction requirement or simply to help the family understand what was going on?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on May 25, 2012, 11:54:58 AM
That's awful for the family.

I was surprised to hear that the PSNI also attended the hearings. Was that out of some jurisdiction requirement or simply to help the family understand what was going on?
PSNI are acting as Family Liason, the Irish Embassy are also there.

ziggysego

I saw a local retired journalist send a tweet to a news reporter out in Mauritus, saying she's lucky to get a wee holiday in the sun.
Testing Accessibility

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: AQMP on May 25, 2012, 11:28:28 AM
Unfortunately for the family it looks like this is going to be a bit of an ordeal...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18202919

disgusting. is there no level some people wont stoop to...

screenmachine

Turning into a real farce unfortunately.  It's bound to be the worst feeling in the world being at a trial for the murder of your wife/sister/relative and there's bastards laughing in the public gallery.

When the public of Mauritius seem more concerned about their tourist industry than a murder of an innocent visitor to one of their hotels there is something badly wrong.  Hopefully it puts people off visiting places like this in the future, I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea.  Too many characters not to be trusted in these places which generally draw their employees from poorer areas of the island who are subsequently surrounded by people on holiday with money and possessions which they obviously see as easy pickings.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.