Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 25, 2019, 08:15:57 AM
I must be the only one that thought Bohemian Rhapsody was average.

Critics agreed with you.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 25, 2019, 08:47:18 AM

Critics agreed with you.

BR is a strange one. I'm a huge Queen fan but was not looking forward to the movie as it had so many problems in production.

When I watched it I enjoyed it but nothing more than that. The critics caned it. However loads of people I asked through it was superb. Some put it up there with the best movie ever. I don't get it!

Again if the critics universally criticized it, whey is it up for so many awards!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

mrdeeds

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 25, 2019, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on January 25, 2019, 08:47:18 AM

Critics agreed with you.

BR is a strange one. I'm a huge Queen fan but was not looking forward to the movie as it had so many problems in production.

When I watched it I enjoyed it but nothing more than that. The critics caned it. However loads of people I asked through it was superb. Some put it up there with the best movie ever. I don't get it!

Again if the critics universally criticized it, whey is it up for so many awards!

Wasn't Shawshank Redemption famously slated by the critics? The academy are seperate from critics.

mouview

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2019, 09:40:44 PM
Watched the Favourite the other night.

Very well acted and clever if a bit too arty at times however I enjoyed it. Olivia Colman is class to as the Queen I remember first noticing her in Green Wing being funny in a minor role fair play to her getting the Oscar nomination.

Disclaimer. Have spoken to a lot of people who didn't like it!

BR was standard enough, but entertaining.

The Favourite best film I've seen recently. Really funny, excellently acted, superbly produced.

JPGJOHNNYG

I enjoyed BR but don't understand why the timeline was so messed up along with a whole load of stuff that never happened. Did it really add to the story?

gallsman

I didn't think the Favourite was as good as I'd hoped. Funny in places but just downright bizarre and overproduced at times e.g. the slow-mo orange throwing segment. I also thought Rachel Weisz was the standout of the three in it and I'm unsure why she and Emma Stone are nominated for supporting actress and Olivia Colman for lead as I think they probably shared screen time pretty evenly. Still, a very good film.

Looking forward to seeing Vice. Have heard great things and Bale is apparently uncanny as Cheney.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on January 25, 2019, 10:29:43 AM
I enjoyed BR but don't understand why the timeline was so messed up along with a whole load of stuff that never happened. Did it really add to the story?

What didn't happen? Novice here when it comes to the history of Queen.

JoG2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 25, 2019, 10:36:47 AM

There was a bit of poetic licence re Freddie sacking Paul the manager before Live Aid (added to the drama) when he wasn't sacked until after. Not sure of much else but wasn't a huge fan either. Watched the Live Aid performance on YouTube after, some performance and mad to think it was only 20 odd minutes in the early evening

cornerback

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 24, 2019, 10:04:23 PM
Surprised to hear of someone from Derry watching an arty movie  ;D

Anyone seen Glass? Have seen mainly mediocre reviews of it but a couple of very decent reviews. Maybe one for the firestick.

Haven't seen Glass yet but heard a review on the radio that you really need to see Split (and unbreakable too obviously) first.

So I watched Split on Netflix last week - good show.  Thought James McAvoy was excellent.

Review of Glass also said he stole the show in this as well - well ahead of Bruce & Samuel L.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quite s bit. How Freddy joined the band was made up. The EMI guy was complete fiction. How Freddy quit the band - news to me. Freddy got diagnosed with aids on the eve of band aid several years before he was actually diagnosed. It was probably all to add to the drama but the guy a a pretty eventful life without making up a whole lot of stuff. Many other weird things eg when certain songs came out. The order was all wrong can't even think why they did that.

Ethan Tremblay

I would say if BR was turned into a mini-series with the same cast and more R rated it would have had time to get things correct and accurate. 
For all intensive purposes, they had to condense some of the major points of his life into a 2 hour film which was never going to fully work.  Hugely enjoyable all the same.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Norf Tyrone

A lot of the timing of the songs was wrong. They had Fat Bottomed Girls on their American tour in the mid 70s. In reality the song came out after that.

There was also some point where they said the band had not recorded together for years as if they had all fell out. However they put out several albums in the early 80s and there was no real fall out.

The film also shows Queen and EMI falling out. However Queen released loads of albums until the 90s with EMI.

There was a lot of artistic licence in fairness!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

mrdeeds

The Greatest Showman is pure muck.

trueblue1234

Quote from: screenexile on January 07, 2019, 09:40:15 AM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 07, 2019, 09:34:39 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 06, 2019, 11:33:23 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on December 29, 2018, 10:06:49 AM
Bird Box on Netflix is a good show. Not quite a horror, as I was expecting but definitely a good concept.
Daft enough. Particularly how there wasn't a mention as to how everyone survived the 5 years between outbreak and the river journey!

Yes daft is the best word for it and too similar to The Happening (2008). For me, the malevolent presence / illness / psychosis wasn't explained anywhere near enough.

It wasn't about that though . . . I quite enjoyed it I know it wasn't too deep really and was just a whole lot of suspense without any real reasoning but it was entertaining enough and not the worst way to pass an evening. It'll hardly be getting any Oscars I wouldn't think.
Just watched it after all the hype. Enjoyed it well enough without being one to stick in the memory. Very like the happening alright. Don't know why but I found both fairly uncomfortable viewing at times. Just can't put my finger on why.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

JoG2

Widows. Decent enough watch 7/10