Author Topic: Arlene's bigotry shines through  (Read 21265 times)

trueblue1234

• View Profile
Re: Arlene's bigotry shines through
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2018, 04:28:29 PM »
50% +1 in a catholic majority is a far cry from 50% +1 in a border poll

Hard brexit means more greens and alliance voters supporting UI than UK according to the recent lucid talk poll many who whould be neither catholic nor republican. This crap that people are afraid of changing the status quo has been blown apart by brexit. After all how is a United Ireland any more of a change than brexit. They both change the status quo in fact a UI within the EU would probably be less of a hiccup.

This is an excellent point. one thing the Unionists had on their side was the status quo and the fact many people oppose change. Brexit has meant there's going to be change now regardless.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »
Some years ago Robinson was talking at a DUPUDA annual conference of making the Union more attractive to Catholics.
Then Belfast City Council stopped flying the Butcher's and he jumped back behind the tribal barricade.
The Dupes and Unionist majority Councils seem totally unwilling to take any cognisance of the fact there are 2 Nationalities in the 6 Cos.

I agree. But it will be to their detriment. A happy Nationalist isn't talking about a UI.

Exactly. Especially now with reduced unionist majority/Brexit etc, unionism should be bending over backwards to show nationalists they're better off in The uk. Likewise, for SF.

Instead it's "no surrender" and "tiocfaidh ar la".

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2018, 04:46:40 PM »
Some years ago Robinson was talking at a DUPUDA annual conference of making the Union more attractive to Catholics.
Then Belfast City Council stopped flying the Butcher's and he jumped back behind the tribal barricade.
The Dupes and Unionist majority Councils seem totally unwilling to take any cognisance of the fact there are 2 Nationalities in the 6 Cos.

I agree. But it will be to their detriment. A happy Nationalist isn't talking about a UI.

Hmmm, yes and no.  I'm the wrong side of 50 and there's been more serious talk about a UI in the last 18 months than in the previous 95 years!  I know a lot of soft and small "n" Nationalists who are very unhappy about Brexit.  They are persuadable, so are the Kellie Armstrong types in Alliance, a lot of Greens and there must be some unknowns who would vote for a UI.  This is going to sound a wee bit callous but if we persuade all those then we don't need that many Unionists to change their minds to make 50%+1 a possibility.  The issue might be, what do we do after that!?

I've said this before but what's needed is a grouping to come forward, along the lines of the business people who sent the letter to Leo recently, who are not directly affiliated to SF to lead a UI campaign.  We also need robust answers to all the questions that will be asked about what a UI will look like.  There's about 5 years work there alone.

Also, I must say I've often been critical of Colum Eastwood but I thought he was very good on The View last night in a "debate", of sorts, with Christopher Stalford and Kellie Armstrong.

Aye, and how is that coming along? What has Leo Lickspittle done so far?

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »

Exactly. Especially now with reduced unionist majority/Brexit etc, unionism should be bending over backwards to show nationalists they're better off in The uk. Likewise, for SF.

Agreed.  Also hard to fathom how the DUP could not see the potential damage to the Union when supporting Brexit, particulary when it was fairly obvious that Scotland was likely to vote remain.  Perhaps, like most people, they felt that the leavers were unlikely to win.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #454 on: April 20, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »
Whatever about SDLP,  FG FF etc isn't it time SF in particular started telling people what way they see the new All Ireland set up.
Wouldn't have to be in detail -just a broad outline.
It would certainly be better than chanting the "Border poll now" mantra.
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 20, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »

Agreed.  Also hard to fathom how the DUP could not see the potential damage to the Union when supporting Brexit, particulary when it was fairly obvious that Scotland was likely to vote remain.  Perhaps, like most people, they felt that the leavers were unlikely to win.

Read an article online about six months ago that suggested this re the DUP. Can't for the life of me remember the web address etc, but the guy said his sources told him the DUP was persuaded by right-wing elements within the Tory party to throw its weight blindly behind Brexit. These elements, incl Gove and Johnson, didn't actually believe the UK would vote for it, despite their posturing since the referendum, but the DUP would do itself no harm and in the process enhance its ultra British image. There may or may not be any truth in it.

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
Very possible.  Whilst Arlene doesn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, wee Nigel is no dozer.  Why it's hard to see how he could not see the potential impact on the union(i.e. Potential break-up) if Scotland voted remain in an overal UK leave vote.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2018, 06:10:20 PM »
the more i see of her the more inclined i would be to think that lining her own pocket would be a more likely reason for the support of brexit.

That inquiry is a farce. She is lying through her teeth. Good christian my arse.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »
DUP supported Brexit assuming it would fail. And at same time, showing the rest of UK that they are the most british of all the Brits in the UK's jurisdictions.

Then when Brexit happens, they had to actually follow through with their patriotic charade.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:12:50 PM by BennyCake »

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 20, 2018, 09:06:06 PM »
DUP supported Brexit assuming it would fail. And at same time, showing the rest of UK that they are the most british of all the Brits in the UK's jurisdictions.

Then when Brexit happens, they had to actually follow through with their patriotic charade.

Yep, that's what guy was basically saying in article, but that Tory right planted the initial seed