Van attack in Barcelona

Started by omagh_gael, August 17, 2017, 04:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

I'm not sure how you would do it in somewhere like Las Ramblas with heavy traffic but ever since the events in Nice, I have been surprised something hasn't been done about access to the Paseo MarĂ­timo in San Sebastian. It would be absolute carnage if some nutjob got in there with a truck at the best of times (and even more so this current week which is Semana Grande, and you can barely move in the evening with the festivities)

Milltown Row2

Croke park all Ireland day! Or St Pats Day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: CiKe on August 17, 2017, 08:41:16 PM
I'm not sure how you would do it in somewhere like Las Ramblas with heavy traffic

It's remarkably accessible. Two lanes of traffic either side of a pedestrian walkway, close to major thoroughfares and motorways. Driving into town and mounting the pedestrian reservation wouldn't be too difficult.

Esmarelda

Quote from: stew on August 17, 2017, 07:44:45 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 17, 2017, 06:56:34 PM
Every major city in Europe is getting attacked something if anything has to be done to stop this madness. Some horrific videos posted up on social media, the people responsible for those videos should have a little cop on.

A little cop on????? For f**k sake they should be tried and if convicted they should work at hard labour until they die, with a kicking every now and again the horrible b**tards!
Stew, I assume you misread his post?

red hander

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 17, 2017, 10:20:12 PM
Quote from: stew on August 17, 2017, 07:44:45 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 17, 2017, 06:56:34 PM
Every major city in Europe is getting attacked something if anything has to be done to stop this madness. Some horrific videos posted up on social media, the people responsible for those videos should have a little cop on.

A little cop on????? For f**k sake they should be tried and if convicted they should work at hard labour until they die, with a kicking every now and again the horrible b**tards!
Stew, I assume you misread his post?

Or he's on the wine

Milltown Row2

Rumours of a house that was blown up near Barcelona the day before being link to attack
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 17, 2017, 08:11:00 PM
Modern society to take out their phones and film the carnage it seems, 13 dead so far with so many injured that death toll is sure to rise.  Barcelona one of my favorites cites, full of life,energy and friendliness. La Ramblas today i fear O Connell street Dublin could be hit by a similar attack in the future

Henry Street would be the street I would worry about being attacked. It has happened before so we could not say it was a surprise if it happened again. Some Arab got angry when his asylum application was turned down. There should be barriers at the top and bottom of Henry Street and the junctions with Moore Street and Liffey Street. You could look at doing the same thing on Grafton Street and Talbot Street as well.

Milltown Row2

Sure why not just have fecking 30 foot railings the whole way round each city...

Remember living in Belfast and if you happened to be caught out when the gates closed at 11 you had to climb them to get home!

Shit way to live

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2017, 11:55:13 PM
Sure why not just have fecking 30 foot railings the whole way round each city...

Remember living in Belfast and if you happened to be caught out when the gates closed at 11 you had to climb them to get home!

Shit way to live

Yeah, a barrier that could save a lot of lives is a shit way to live alright. There are plenty of barriers that can prevent most vehicles but not impede pedestrians in any way.

If Ireland doesn't take heed of these warning signs all over Europe we deserve what we get.

armaghniac

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 17, 2017, 11:49:57 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 17, 2017, 08:11:00 PM
Modern society to take out their phones and film the carnage it seems, 13 dead so far with so many injured that death toll is sure to rise.  Barcelona one of my favorites cites, full of life,energy and friendliness. La Ramblas today i fear O Connell street Dublin could be hit by a similar attack in the future

Henry Street would be the street I would worry about being attacked. It has happened before so we could not say it was a surprise if it happened again. Some Arab got angry when his asylum application was turned down. There should be barriers at the top and bottom of Henry Street and the junctions with Moore Street and Liffey Street. You could look at doing the same thing on Grafton Street and Talbot Street as well.

What they need is electronic barriers that fire engines etc could open. No brainer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

maddog

6 civilians injured when car rammed pedestrians in cambrils. 5 suspects dead. No civilians dead. Well done to Spanish police. These things come in waves.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 12:06:40 AM

Shit way to live

Yeah, a barrier that could save a lot of lives is a shit way to live alright. There are plenty of barriers that can prevent most vehicles but not impede pedestrians in any way.

If Ireland doesn't take heed of these warning signs all over Europe we deserve what we get.

You honestly think a 30 foot barrier will save lives?? Flipping numpty! They'll change method to something else and continue on doing what they do.... terrorise

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2017, 07:42:38 AM

Shit way to live

You honestly think a 30 foot barrier will save lives?? Flipping numpty! They'll change method to something else and continue on doing what they do.... terrorise

Why do you keep talking about a 30 foot barrier????  A row of bollards is all that's needed.

BennyHarp

Shit way to live

I'll need this comment explained a bit more. So if we aren't going to barricade all our towns and cities then we deserve to have innocent civilians killed? Wow! We've been there and done that in the North with road blocks into towns and cities, not really something you want and will only prevent this type of attack. A rigid barrier on a street isn't going to stop a terrorist intent on doing damage.
That was never a square ball!!

doodaa

I cant understand these people that take their phone out and start filming injured and dead people.
Even if you aren't first aid trained surely your first instinct should be to go and help the people instead of filming them.

Its sickening behaviour and is also a valuable tool for the terrorists in terms of propaganda. Why do their job for them?

New buildings these days are built/ landscaped with terrorism in mind...strategically placed stone/ concrete sculptures, seats, anything really would reduce the scale of the carnage. It would work in pedestrian areas and shouldn't impact on daily life. Even Belfast City Airport has now got a big grass bank where the old drop off used to be and doesn't detract from the look of the place.

Active bollards exist as well for the likes of Fire Engines/ Ambulances etc