Meath v Sligo, Sat July 1st - Pairc Tailteann, Navan, 6pm

Started by ck, June 20, 2017, 01:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

This is an intriguing battle. Meath will be favs for no other reason that they are Meath but I think they may get a surprise here. Sligo struggled over Antrim (7 subs and all!) but will be in better shape next time out IMO. I'm not happy with our Manager in Sligo and feel he's a bluffer of the highest order but he is a Kildare man and that will be no harm when it comes to preparing for our trip to Navan. Sligo by 2

thejuice

We have it in us to win though it depends a lot on the mood in the camp and also how Sligo approach the game. If Sligo pull men back or crowd the space between midfield and the half forwards we could be in for dogged time.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

sligoman2

Hopefully we will pick our best team to start this game.

A lot depends our our backs, very disappointed to concede 3 goals to Antrim but also delighted that we were able to score lots of good points.

Our midfield pairing seems to be coming along nicely but we need to stop conceding penalties and easy frees.  Meath would be big favorites but we always play better when underdogs. 

I would see McDonnell replacing the injured mchugh and Kyle cawley starting instead of Breheny.  Could be an interesting game.  Meath will be riled up after the drubbing they received last week.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

Haven't seen too much of Sligo recently to be honest.
We'll need to put our best man-marker on Dessie Sloyan.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sligoman2

Quote from: Jinxy on June 22, 2017, 06:26:15 PM
Would that be mick Lyons?

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 22, 2017, 10:56:14 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 22, 2017, 06:26:15 PM
Would that be mick Lyons?

Nah, Red Collier.

ck

Quote from: thejuice on June 21, 2017, 12:18:44 PM
We have it in us to win though it depends a lot on the mood in the camp and also how Sligo approach the game. If Sligo pull men back or crowd the space between midfield and the half forwards we could be in for dogged time.

I would expect Sligo to set up defensively. What's the mood in Meath? Surely the hammering yous took to Meath will have set players back?

Blowitupref

First ever championship meeting between the two? last league meeting was in 2013 in Div 3 where Meath came from 8 points down to beat Sligo 1-17 to 2-12

Teams that day.

MEATH: P O'Rourke; D Keogan, B Menton, C Young; B Lenehan, E Harrington, D Dalton; K Reilly, B Meade; D Larkin, C Ward, P Byrne; E Wallace, S Bray, M Newman.

Subs: G Reilly for Ward (31), C Gillespie for Harrington, P Gilsenan for Byrne (both h-t), B Farrell for Bray (46), J Sheridan for Wallace ((61).

SLIGO: P Greene; C Harrison, J Martyn, R Donovan; K Cawley, A McIntyre, B Curran; S Gilmartin, J Kilcullen; B Egan, F Quinn, S McManus; M Breheny, P Hughes, A Marren

Subs: J Clarke for Brehony (31), J Kelly for McManus (53), N Murphy for Quinn (66).

Meath haven't won a game in the qualifiers since their 0-11 to 0-10 win over Galway in 2011.
Since then Meath have lost to Kildare, Laois, Armagh, Derry and twice to Tyrone.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jinxy

Will be watching our FB & HF lines with interest to see if we've learned anything from the Kildare game.
Keoghan can't be everywhere.
He's needed at centre-back, but we need someone else to drop back to cover the FB line as he is one of the few players we have that can get us up the field from a defensive position.
Mickey Burke did well enough on Kelly the last day but he hasn't enough football for centre back.
Reilly, O'Sullivan & O'Coileain should be the starting HF line.
Move Wallace into the FF line with McMahon & Lenihan to see if he can contribute there.
I'd imagine at a minimum Andy will expect everyone to work like dogs.
If that happens, we should come out on top by 5/6 points.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Jinxy on June 24, 2017, 12:13:53 PM
Will be watching our FB & HF lines with interest to see if we've learned anything from the Kildare game.
Keoghan can't be everywhere.
He's needed at centre-back, but we need someone else to drop back to cover the FB line as he is one of the few players we have that can get us up the field from a defensive position.
Mickey Burke did well enough on Kelly the last day but he hasn't enough football for centre back.
Reilly, O'Sullivan & O'Coileain should be the starting HF line.
Move Wallace into the FF line with McMahon & Lenihan to see if he can contribute there.
I'd imagine at a minimum Andy will expect everyone to work like dogs.
If that happens, we should come out on top by 5/6 points.

I think Wallace is finished as a footballer, he isn't even quick anymore.

thejuice

Meath (SFC v Sligo):

1 Paddy O'Rourke (Skryne)

2 Mickey Burke (Longwood)
3 Conor McGill (Ratoath)
4 Donnacha Tobin (Blackhall Gaels)

5 Padraic Harnan (Moynalvey)
6 Donal Keogan (Rathkenny)
7 Shane McEntee (St Peter's Dunboyne)

8 Bryan Menton (Donaghmore/Ashbourne)
9 Ronan Jones (St Peter's Dunboyne)

10 James Toher (Trim)
11 Cillian O'Sullivan (Moynalvey)
12 Ruairí Ó Coileáin (Navan O'Mahonys)

13 Graham Reilly (St Colmcille's) captain
14 Sean Tobin (Simonstown Gaels)
15 Donal Lenihan (St Peter's Dunboyne)

Two changes from the last day, Tobin and Ó Coileáin in for Wallace and McMahon. Glad that Jones is getting another start even though he didn't have a great game. Wondering what the thinking is behind having Menton, Jones and Toher on the field though. They struggled against Kildare and didn't get enough support on the breaks. We need another breaking ball winner and scrapper in there more than another rangy midfielder. Maybe if Paddy can get his kick outs sorted we will get a lot of marks but we certainly didn't  the last day.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

sligoman2

Sligo Team Devaney Donavan McDonnell Harrison Keelan Cawley Egan J Kelly McIntyre O'Connor Ewing Kyle Cawley Murphy Coen Hughes Marren

I think this is the correct team - lots of scoring forwards there, important that they are willing to defend as well as attack.

A lot on the shoulders of young O'connor in midfield- this is the best midfield we have had in a long time imo.
Should be an interesting game, I think we can give Meath a good challenge.

Hound

I think I remember Seanie saying that one of the Cawleys is good for popping up and getting a goal. Which one of them it is?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Hound on June 30, 2017, 12:31:08 PM
I think I remember Seanie saying that one of the Cawleys is good for popping up and getting a goal. Which one of them it is?
Kyle who's listed at CHF, though Murphy should probably start there. He made a telling difference when coming on against Antrim but this obviously is a step up on that. At least McDonnell is back in even if has been enforced on Carew to do so.