225 civilians killed by US in one month

Started by Esmarelda, May 23, 2017, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Tbf, we probably don't even consider what happens in say Pakistan until something like this happens and it makes us think about what might motivate someone to do something like this.

Although in this case, the guy was British so atrocities in other parts of the world don't play a direct role

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2017, 09:59:07 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 23, 2017, 09:45:39 PM
It's a relevant point that we (understandably considering our proximity) hear endlessly about these atrocities when they occur in the "west" but not at all when they happen in muslim countries. I presume the reverse happens in muslim countries where drone attacks and the likes are all over the news.

The countries (all security council members) who sell these weapons have most of this blood on their hands imo.

Course they do, I don't know anybody who would think otherwise, the point is the timing of the thread, you don't feel that it was strange?
How's it strange? It was obviously on mind given what happened in the UK.

longballin

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 23, 2017, 10:30:25 PM
It's a relevant point that we (understandably considering our proximity) hear endlessly about these atrocities when they occur in the "west" but not at all when they happen in muslim countries. I presume the reverse happens in muslim countries where drone attacks and the likes are all over the news.

The countries (all security council members) who sell these weapons have most of this blood on their hands imo.

Course they do, I don't know anybody who would think otherwise, the point is the timing of the thread, you don't feel that it was strange?

It wasn't strange just totally insensitive timing... sick. Knew what  he was doing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 23, 2017, 10:04:46 PM
Tbf, we probably don't even consider what happens in say Pakistan until something like this happens and it makes us think about what might motivate someone to do something like this.

Although in this case, the guy was British so atrocities in other parts of the world don't play a direct role

I consider what goes on in every country that has a bombing which kills innocent people men women and children as awful!  anyone who doesn't is a sad individual, a parent who has lost a child will feel the same no matter where they are from or religion they are
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

Quote from: Rossfan on May 23, 2017, 07:38:10 PM
Personal abuse from  stew as is his form.

You called me out and make a tit out of yourself in the process, instead of talking about Christian atrocities of which there are many, why don't you call out the muslim scum that killed these children instead of avoiding the reason for the thread regarding the Manchester murders.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Wildweasel74

Esmarelda so this thread was on your mind, funny after last night i thought a thread on the innocent children killed last night would have been on my mind to be honest.

Esmarelda

Quote from: longballin on May 23, 2017, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 23, 2017, 10:30:25 PM

It wasn't strange just totally insensitive timing... sick. Knew what  he was doing.
Who's he? Insensitive to whom?

Esmarelda

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 23, 2017, 10:59:58 PM
Esmarelda so this thread was on your mind, funny after last night i thought a thread on the innocent children killed last night would have been on my mind to be honest.
So you thought about this for the last 24 hours only. Your mind didn't wander at all to any broader issues on the general subject of terrorism? If so, I find that strange. On the Manchester thread itself, the topic has already deviated so I reckon you're being glib rather than honest as you claim.

Tony Baloney

This is the sort of thread I would start if I was a 6th form politics student too. For the grown - ups it is pathetic  attention seeking. I think everyone is aware of both the fact that these atrocities occur elsewhere AND the principle of moral equivalence. Embarrassing stuff.

nrico2006

I have a few friends on facebook who are at this craic every time there is an attack close to home.  Usually goes along the same lines with a rant about all the attention something here is getting yet no mention of a killing in a far away land.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Not one famine thread up or updates on how many people have been killed by gun crime in the States!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Esmarelda

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 24, 2017, 12:13:50 AM
This is the sort of thread I would start if I was a 6th form politics student too. For the grown - ups it is pathetic  attention seeking. I think everyone is aware of both the fact that these atrocities occur elsewhere AND the principle of moral equivalence. Embarrassing stuff.
I'm not a student. I guess I must be in between that and being a grown up. When I'm a grown up will I be able to read the minds of anonymous posters like you are?

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2017, 08:48:26 AM
Not one famine thread up or updates on how many people have been killed by gun crime in the States!
If something brings either to my attention or if I read about it in the news then maybe I'll start a thread. Similar to any other thread I create.

I started this thread as I follow such events closely. I'm also intrigued by people's reactions to atrocities and the media reporting of them. I'v e been called sick and cynical on the same day a man murders 22 people. A bit of perspective.

What's interesting is that maybe one or two people have commented on the detail of the post. Maybe being on this board makes people suspicious but for the vast majority to play the man/woman rather than comment on the data isn't something I actually considered would happen. Of course that's impossible to believe for some of you but c'est la vie.

Esmarelda

No major terrorist attacks in Europe in recent weeks so I think it's ok to post this.

Looking forward to the UN's response, especially that delightful Nikki Haley.

Barely makes the news here.

http://www.newsweek.com/syria-war-us-led-coalition-killed-almost-500-civilians-deadliest-month-isis-628581

The U.S.-led coalition's strikes against the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) in two Syrian provinces killed 472 civilians in the last month, according to a monitor.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), a U.K.-based monitoring group that has an extensive network of contacts on the ground in Syria, said the toll was more than double the month prior and the highest for a single month since raids began in September 2014.

In Raqqa province, where the city of the same name is located, coalition strikes killed 250 civilians, including 53 children, SOHR said. In Deir ez-Zor, strikes killed 222 civilians, 84 of which were children.

Rami Abdul Rahman, director of SOHR, told the AFP news agency that the total deaths caused by coalition strikes in Syria now amounted to 1,953. Of the deceased, 456 were children and 333 were women.

The coalition continues its bombing campaign in and around the eastern Syrian city of Raqqa, the largest under ISIS's control in the country. It is supporting an Arab-Kurdish alliance waging a ground offensive against ISIS in the de facto capital of its self-declared caliphate that straddles the Iraqi-Syrian border.

The coalition says it takes as many precautions as possible within the laws of warfare, but top coalition generals have admitted that civilian deaths are inevitable in the campaign to defeat ISIS. Some 100,000 civilians remain under ISIS control in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, and thousands remain in Raqqa.

Human rights groups have criticized the coalition for not exercising enough caution. One case in particular was a March 17 strike in Mosul that killed more than 100 civilians. The coalition investigated the incident and concluded that ISIS had placed booby traps in the building that maximized the damage on impact.

The six-year-long Syrian civil war has killed more than 400,000 people and displaced millions internally and externally.

Milltown Row2

Pure rotten and the West would be best to let the countries sort out their own problems and the killing will stop.........

We'd hear a lot more about these deaths if the world press was able to freely go about the country and report them dont you think? I suppose with the fear of kidnappings and death squads looking for Westerns we wont get a full picture (as such)