?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Real Talk

And R P who would you play full back v Kildare

Derry Optimist

There is no point in criticising other posters' selections  if one is not prepared to  offer positive solutions to a definite problem if Brendan Rogers will be out for the Kildare game.The only current panel member who would have the physique and know how in the present Derry panel to mark Flynn is Chris McKaigue.Therefore he should be given a man marking job on him in the same way that he did so effectively against Michael Murphy when he was switched on him.

I would play either Carlus McWilliams or Liam McGoldrick in the traditional centre half back position  if that is required.Both are very comfortable on the ball and  are good readers of the game. I would have James Kielt in the half forward line instead of the smaller,lighter though promising but very young Patrick Coney.Kildare are a big physical side and we will need  to replicate that whilst keeping our speedy players.I know Kielt is not the fastest but he can score so hopefully management can devise a system to accommodate him. Indeed the speed and industry of Niall Toner should also be occupying the selectors minds. Doire Abu.

restorepride

Quote from: Derry Optimist on May 30, 2018, 09:04:37 PM
There is no point in criticising other posters' selections  if one is not prepared to  offer positive solutions to a definite problem if Brendan Rogers will be out for the Kildare game.The only current panel member who would have the physique and know how in the present Derry panel to mark Flynn is Chris McKaigue.Therefore he should be given a man marking job on him in the same way that he did so effectively against Michael Murphy when he was switched on him.

I would play either Carlus McWilliams or Liam McGoldrick in the traditional centre half back position  if that is required.Both are very comfortable on the ball and  are good readers of the game. I would have James Kielt in the half forward line instead of the smaller,lighter though promising but very young Patrick Coney.Kildare are a big physical side and we will need  to replicate that whilst keeping our speedy players.I know Kielt is not the fastest but he can score so hopefully management can devise a system to accommodate him. Indeed the speed and industry of Niall Toner should also be occupying the selectors minds. Doire Abu.
Not much point talking shite either. Thought we were supposed to be going forward not backwards, Nevin?  Tell me this, how much time did Coney spend in the half forward line on Sunday?

lenny

Quote from: JoG2 on May 30, 2018, 11:59:59 AM
Quote from: Real Talk on May 29, 2018, 09:13:18 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 28, 2018, 10:02:25 PM
Have been told we're looking to have it in Owenbeg.
Donegal had a settled team playing against div 1 opposition. Compare that to our boys, div 3 with a very unsettled team, night and day.
Watched the game recorded, on top of Bradley, Lynn, Sean Leo (injury to force him off at half time?) and the names already mentioned, McNeill I thought had a superb game at corner back.

Agree.  I also thought Mark Lynch's 'work rate' was absolutely phenomenal on a very hot day.  Derry had 8 players on who didn't players on in the League.  Donegal had about 6/7 better quality players than us and always looked like winning the game but at least we were competitive and determined.  I thought our movement was better but it seemed like Shane McGuigan always ended up on the left side of attack when the right side would have given him easier shot options.  The reality is this was most of these fellas first game together.  We need to find 'a part of our game plan' that facilitates James Kielt whose scoring efficiency is very good.  I didn't have any expectations of us beating Donegal and despite what some posters said we were organised and Donegal still have a strong defensive structure which is difficult to penetrate.  Kildare is a hard draw not least of all because they will 'stinging' from that Carlow defeat and we could be in for a 'back lash'.

Kielt definitely needs accommodated, probably stationed at the age of the square. Fullback will be the big issue, who will step into Rodger's boots? He's bound to be out for a few weeks minimum

Hopefully Rogers will be fit because Flynn is a superb full forward, one of the best in ireland. He has the potential to destroy us if he gets enough ball. He probably needs to be double marked even if Rogers is fit.

toby47

Quote from: Real Talk on May 30, 2018, 07:05:21 PM
In his minor years was a very good back who reads the game well and is comfortable on the ball .... but marking a big man might not work so well.  McErlain has to think outside the box here and consider one of our better 'traditional type' full backs ..... the problem is I can't think of one ... maybe Conor Nevin or convert Gavin O'Neill (Banagher)... not so sure ... !!!! .... has anybody got any ideas

So draft a player in a week before a game and start him? Nonsense, especially when Gavin O'Neill is a forward..hardly gonna play him at full back

theticklemister

Quote from: toby47 on May 31, 2018, 08:13:51 AM
In his minor years was a very good back who reads the game well and is comfortable on the ball .... but marking a big man might not work so well.  McErlain has to think outside the box here and consider one of our better 'traditional type' full backs ..... the problem is I can't think of one ... maybe Conor Nevin or convert Gavin O'Neill (Banagher)... not so sure ... !!!! .... has anybody got any ideas

So draft a player in a week before a game and start him? Nonsense, especially when Gavin O'Neill is a forward..hardly gonna play him at full back

If your a big man who has played football this year....... restorative is coming for you!

oakleaflad

My 2 cents

If Rogers is out I'd have C McKaigue at full back and probably bring Carlus McWilliams or Liam McGoldrick in to the half back line with one of those two or Bateson at 6.

I'd keep Kielt on the bench myself but introduce him a bit earlier than against Donegal. Not enough pace for wing half forward (runner) and I wouldn't start him over our inside forwards the last day. On a side note we have a lot of left footed forwards.

lenny

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 31, 2018, 09:26:27 AM
My 2 cents

If Rogers is out I'd have C McKaigue at full back and probably bring Carlus McWilliams or Liam McGoldrick in to the half back line with one of those two or Bateson at 6.

I'd keep Kielt on the bench myself but introduce him a bit earlier than against Donegal. Not enough pace for wing half forward (runner) and I wouldn't start him over our inside forwards the last day. On a side note we have a lot of left footed forwards.

3 that started were left footed, 3 right. Good balance. Kielt came on along with toner again a good balance.

oakleaflad

Quote from: lenny on May 31, 2018, 10:27:20 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 31, 2018, 09:26:27 AM
My 2 cents

3 that started were left footed, 3 right. Good balance. Kielt came on along with toner again a good balance.
Point taken. I don't think we play with 6 forwards though if you get where I'm coming from.

toby47

Quote from: theticklemister on May 31, 2018, 08:52:49 AM
Quote from: toby47 on May 31, 2018, 08:13:51 AM

If your a big man who has played football this year....... restorative is coming for you!

Suppose Mayo played Aidan O'Shea at full back last year so anything can happen.

However I'd agree with putting Chrissy to full back as we have a lot more cover at half back than we do in the full back line.

thepundit

Conor Nevin and Gavin O'Neill?? Are yous mad? we have one of the best man markers in the country in Garth McKinless and no one is mentioning him? Derry didn't put a hand on Donegal at the weekend and Mcbreaty got the run of the field. Im not one who supports McKinless Dirty Tactics but it is needed to a certain degree.

wide as a gate!

sure gareth hasnt kicked a ball all year for the shamrocks

hes injured and heading to the states

quit yo jibbajabba

Could he naw even play the wan match ffs?

toby47

Quote from: wide as a gate! on May 31, 2018, 02:29:48 PM
sure gareth hasnt kicked a ball all year for the shamrocks

hes injured and heading to the states

The lack of knowledge about current goings on in Derry football baffle me. Gavin O'Neill at full back now a man that hasn't played a club game this year

Keyser soze

Is it any worse an idea than playing Mark Lynch as a sweeper though??