10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

lenny

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 18, 2017, 10:12:28 PM
Quote from: lenny on November 18, 2017, 09:48:51 PM
Quote from: Tagsman on November 18, 2017, 09:21:40 PM
Quote from: lenny on November 17, 2017, 11:28:47 PM
Quote from: skeog on November 17, 2017, 09:38:06 PM
Good god a donegal and tyrone man guiding your u age teams never in a million years would tyrone think about outsiders.

Correct it's sad. Too many of derry's best coaches are getting far too much money up in tyrone to consider taking derrys underage teams.

Who are they? Can't think of any Derry men in throne apart from Barton?

Off the top of my head in the last few seasons there's been barton, crozier, cassidy, boyle, mcguckin and devlin at least. There may have been more.

Who are Boyle, McGuckian and Devlin?

It's mcguckin not mcguckian. That'd be ronan, also fintan devlin at errigal. Mckindless and gormley are 2 others who've managed tyrone clubs in very recent times.

Glenman93

Don't listen to fake news. From a very reliable source not a single Derry club put forward a candidate for either U17 or U20 manager. They were given six weeks to discuss and nominate but none came back with a name.

restorepride

Quote from: Glenman93 on November 19, 2017, 02:18:47 PM

Don't listen to fake news. From a very reliable source not a single Derry club put forward a candidate for either U17 or U20 manager. They were given six weeks to discuss and nominate but none came back with a name.
Are you referring to Brolly fake news?

Mountain Gael

Quote from: Derry Optimist on November 18, 2017, 12:48:14 PM
Has Derry's new  U20 football manager Mickey Donnelly of Tyrone  announced his back room team?

Hopefully included will be some very able and talented Derry men with vision and footballing expertise - especially in the tactics and coaching know how of the modern game - to supplement the excellent C.V of the Aughnacloy man.
[/b]
It is vital that the great work of the past three years of Damian McErlain and his Minor management team be built upon and developed properly so that the players can seamlessly move forward from being good minors and through  the ranks of the U20's onto Senior inter county standard.

I am sure an Provincial  title  will be the aim of the new U20 management team.
Excellent CV???????

Real Talk

Quote from: Glenman93 on November 19, 2017, 02:18:47 PM

Don’t listen to fake news. From a very reliable source not a single Derry club put forward a candidate for either U17 or U20 manager. They were given six weeks to discuss and nominate but none came back with a name.

That annual system that the C B use to get Managers nominated hasn't worked and wont get the best candidate ... mainly because most Clubs don't care .... or which has often been the case when they do put in a nomination it isn't even acknowledged. 

When the CB (maybe just the Chairman !!!) has someone in mind he then gets a Club/Clubs to nominate him/them to make it look as though the system works. 

What is really needed is a sub committee officially appointed by the CB (not Club Derry) to recommend a list of suitable candidates for all teams.  The CB should then arrange a process to select the best candidate with the sub-committee have representation on that selection process.

This should be completed in September/October each year

thepundit

Personally I think it was about time Fergal parted ways. Under21s in the past few seasons have done decent but didn't reach their actual targets. Fergal had a number of top calibre of player at his disposal and was twice outclassed by Donegal.  One thing Fergal did have was a top coach in Big Enda. I think its a must for the new setup to get in a Derry man with calibre of Enda and one that they will fully respect. 

Rawhide

Both Fergal and Enda are Derry legends, so full respect to both, but as Enda being a 1st class coach, totally without foundation yet (has the personality for it), surely if he was coach to the u21s last season he is as culpable as the manager??
cccc is a true supporter lol

Derry Optimist

Re the appointment of a highly respected former Derry player to new U20  County manager Mickey Donnnelly's backroom team I think it is highly unlikely that Enda Mulddon, if asked, would take up the post for two practical reasons.

Firstly he would probably not do so out of a sense of loyalty to Fergal McCusker with whom he worked with last year and secondly and more importantly he probably would not be available to do so as he has been appointed joint manager of Banagher club side.

Nevertheless for the future good of Derry football it is imperative that a backroom team with a highly respected and capable  backroom team is assembled quickly so that the excellent underage work of the last three years is developed and built upon.

thepundit

Quote from: Rawhide on November 20, 2017, 03:56:05 PM
Both Fergal and Enda are Derry legends, so full respect to both, but as Enda being a 1st class coach, totally without foundation yet (has the personality for it), surely if he was coach to the u21s last season he is as culpable as the manager??

I wouldn't say that.. the manager is the one that implements the playing style and the one who makes the decisions on the starting 15. From what I seen of the under 21s they often didn't know what style of football they were trying to play. I think that fergal was out done by opposition tactics. As for big enda.. by no means is he the finished article as a manager/coach.. and he will learn a lot from his time at banager but as a player he was a master at the basic skills to the highest degree and in his coaching he brings those basics to the forefront

bannside

Are you saying a manager wouldn't consult with his coach 're s playing style or on occasions team selection? Or would you be one of these managers who wants to do it all yourself?

Rawhide

Quote from: thepundit on November 20, 2017, 06:38:41 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on November 20, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

I wouldn't say that.. the manager is the one that implements the playing style and the one who makes the decisions on the starting 15. From what I seen of the under 21s they often didn't know what style of football they were trying to play. I think that fergal was out done by opposition tactics. As for big enda.. by no means is he the finished article as a manager/coach.. and he will learn a lot from his time at banager but as a player he was a master at the basic skills to the highest degree and in his coaching he brings those basics to the forefront

Just out of curiosity what do you think the role of the coach(es) is at county if it isn't to coach a system of play for defense and offence and coach kick out strategy.
cccc is a true supporter lol

thepundit

Well yes in normal circumstances the coach will be implementing the managers style of play. In this case however I don't think they were singing of the same hymn sheet.  Whether they did or they didn't agree and coach the same style of football , they failed at winning an Ulster title and county needed to go in a new direction!

Keyser soze

Well if you are the manager and the coach is not implementing your style of play you don't just plough on regardless....you get a new coach.

braveheart

sensethetone