Rugby World Cup 2023- Ireland

Started by Benny Sweeney, March 25, 2012, 12:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

With Shane Ross involved disaster cannot be far away. Emergency legislation rushed through on anything scares me. How can it be the case in such a professional and organised bid that this happened? I'm not against it as I think it's a tremendous marketing opportunity and I expect the tournament will be a huge success. Though it is amazing how money can be found when the right people come asking.....

Rossfan

How many operations would this pay for?
How many people could be rescued by the inadequate Mental Health services if this money was spent there?
Always the well heeled who get looked after.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: rosnarun on July 06, 2017, 10:11:21 AM
The IFU have just been underwritten to the tune of €340 m by  Emergency legislation as they had been promised illegal aid from the Government .. it took them 3 hours with minimal debate so the next time you hear some politico bleat on about thing actually worthwhile  being taken care of in 'future legislation ' remember this day .
this figure include a €138 million fee to world rugby but does not include any of the hundreds of millions need as the IRFU only have 2.5 stadiums of Note which is going to lead to further over development of Gaa grounds at the expense of Grassroots sport. the over all bill will end up not far off a billion for a 3 week tournament in a minority sport. sheer daftness
I feel this ia major scandal in the making if the bid is successful

A billion. Where are you getting your figures from. Pairc ui chaoimh was redeveloped regardless of the world cup. Casement park is to be redeveloped regardless of a world cup - money that has been ring fenced and cant be spent on anything else. Aviva, thomond and ravenhill are ready. RDS are upgrading their stadium. As for the GAA Croke is also ready. Apart from croke, casement and PuC about 3/4 other ground are needed. Considering the state of some of the grounds in NZ little work is needed. Even if they did decide some modernisation Ravenhill was rebuilt from scratch for 20 million thats alot of new stadiums you can build with the extra 850 million you are talking about or maybe you are just exagerating a tad. We should go for this as it isnt a fringe sport and its the biggest event we can realistically host.

armaghniac

Quote from: NAG1 on July 06, 2017, 11:05:12 AM
Which is probably unlikely given the time scales now but having two major venues in Belfast was always going to be one of the underpinning elements of the bid.

Can't they use Windsor Park?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2017, 12:03:10 PM
Which is probably unlikely given the time scales now but having two major venues in Belfast was always going to be one of the underpinning elements of the bid.

Only 18000 capacity they need another 30000 plus ground for the quarters etc otherwise most of the big games would be in Dublin so hardly an Ireland world cup

The Subbie

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 07, 2017, 12:10:01 PM

Only 18000 capacity they need another 30000 plus ground for the quarters etc otherwise most of the big games would be in Dublin so hardly an Ireland world cup
I thought Dublin was Ireland as far as the rugby mob were concerned

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2017, 09:32:08 AM
How many people could be rescued by the inadequate Mental Health services if this money was spent there?

Joeduffynomics - the economic theory whose premise seems to be that nothing should ever be spent on anything but healthcare until people stop dying.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on July 07, 2017, 01:20:22 PM

Joeduffynomics - the economic theory whose premise seems to be that nothing should ever be spent on anything but healthcare until people stop dying.

:D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ashman

Quote from: Hardy on July 07, 2017, 01:20:22 PM

Brilliant .

armaghniac

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 07, 2017, 12:10:01 PM

I haven't studied this, but the Munster venues would hold more 30000, and nicer places to visit than Windsor park.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Denn Forever

The women are doing well at this Rugby thing.  Another win and France next.  Let's get on the bandwagon.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 14, 2017, 12:14:31 PM
The women are doing well at this Rugby thing.  Another win and France next.  Let's get on the bandwagon.

I watched yesterday after the hurling. It was woeful. I thought they were decent, but yesterday was rotten stuff.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2017, 12:16:23 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 14, 2017, 12:14:31 PM

I watched yesterday after the hurling. It was woeful. I thought they were decent, but yesterday was rotten stuff.
Is it rubbish in general or just this match? I may be an awful sexist pig but I find women's soccer, GAA etc. to be turgid stuff. Yes you see the odd piece of genuine skill like Aimee Mackin's goal the other day but in general I find it unwatchable. I think the standard of goalkeeping may be a reason for it as it's generally poor and makes it a lot easier to score a goal.