Rugby World Cup 2023- Ireland

Started by Benny Sweeney, March 25, 2012, 12:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

The same as any member of the GAA we have a say in how our grounds are used

I hope the GAA are getting plenty of money to refurbish these grounds and pay for others to be upgraded

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 05:36:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2016, 05:28:33 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 05:26:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2016, 05:02:17 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 04:59:33 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2016, 04:44:23 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 03:13:44 PM
A rugby world cup hosted thanks to the efforts of the GAA and it's volunteers? €160 million euro to the IRB to host the event? Want to shaft taxpayers a little more?

No thank you.
go play your garrison sport elsewhere.

Sinn Féin are for it.

As are the all the political parties I'm sure. What's your point?

Should they be for it?

I don't approve of GAA grounds being used to promote rugby.

How many GAA grounds do you own?

GAA grounds don't tend to be in private ownership. I don't believe the rugby crowd own any either.

If you don't approve of GAA grounds being used, as you say, I am wondering what this means. At how many GAA grounds does your approval matter?
MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2016, 05:46:34 PM
A rugby world cup hosted thanks to the efforts of the GAA and it's volunteers? €160 million euro to the IRB to host the event? Want to shaft taxpayers a little more?

No thank you.

Sinn Féin are for it.

Should they be for it?

GAA grounds don't tend to be in private ownership. I don't believe the rugby crowd own any either.

If you don't approve of GAA grounds being used, as you say, I am wondering what this means. At how many GAA grounds does your approval matter?

Ah c'mon muppet, you're being a bit pedantic here.  He didn't say his approval mattered, same as you and I's approval of Brexit/Trump doesn't matter.

FWIW, I think it's a good thing but would be wary of the GAA being corralled into spending fortunes of money to bring grounds up to some required standard for a 4 week event.  We'll be left with a mountain of debt and half a dozen underused white elephant stadia dotted around the country.  You could say that I don't approve of the GAA spending their money in that way.  I'm sure they will be mindful of this though.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2016, 03:53:45 PM
I say play it in New Zealand every time, as it's the furthest place away from here.

The earth would move.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

How can it cost €160m ? How much do the consultants get? What is the IRB cut? Would the money not be better spent on concussion research ?

These sports jamborees enrich blazers and are otherwise very dubious  What''s wrong with a permanent home for the thing? The Olympics is another load of nonsense.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

snoopdog

Quote from: seafoid on November 15, 2016, 06:12:15 PM
How can it cost €160m ? How much do the consultants get? What is the IRB cut? Would the money not be better spent on concussion research ?

These sports jamborees enrich blazers and are otherwise very dubious  What''s wrong with a permanent home for the thing? The Olympics is another load of nonsense.
[/quote
Not sure how true ithat is but I heard the Irby take the gates as well. How much are the gaa getting paid for use of grounds?

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on November 15, 2016, 06:02:50 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2016, 03:53:45 PM
I say play it in New Zealand every time, as it's the furthest place away from here.

The earth would move.

That would be the first time anything interesting happened at a rugby match then.

foxcommander

No thank you.

Sinn Féin are for it.

Should they be for it?

It just means I don't like the idea. What part of that don't you understand?

You'd think that someone like yourself who's just got off the back of a demoralising defeat by Trump understands why people register their disapproval.

I wasn't in favour of Croke Park being used for rugby previously or God Save the Queen being played in the stadium either.
Unfortunately the GAA decided that they'd allow them to do so and then it leads to this new request for tournaments. The GAA will be demonised if they don't help rugby with their bid now which is a BS situation to be placed in.

Built off the backs of volunteers, sold off by suits. Typical.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Zulu

Lads the GAA won't have to pay for all the refurbishments. The government grant towards PUC was linked to the rugby world cup as far as I know. In addition, many of our grounds need, or will need, refurbishment so if we can get that done with government (and IRFU?) contributions then we should take that. Once the rugby WC is over we should be left with modern recently refurbished grounds all over the country for us to use as we deem fit and with significantly less debt than if we did it ourselves, which we'd have to do at some point.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 06:39:14 PM

No thank you.

Sinn Féin are for it.

Should they be for it?

It just means I don't like the idea. What part of that don't you understand?

You'd think that someone like yourself who's just got off the back of a demoralising defeat by Trump understands why people register their disapproval.

I wasn't in favour of Croke Park being used for rugby previously or God Save the Queen being played in the stadium either.
Unfortunately the GAA decided that they'd allow them to do so and then it leads to this new request for tournaments. The GAA will be demonised if they don't help rugby with their bid now which is a BS situation to be placed in.

Built off the backs of volunteers, sold off by suits. Typical.

You'd think your glorious Trump victory should mean you are happy with everyone telling you how everything is.

The GAA takes money from the Government. The Government wants the Rugby WC. It will happen.

Your opinion doesn't matter. That's how it is.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ballinaman on November 15, 2016, 01:24:04 PM
https://twitter.com/bernardotoole/status/798495169616154624

Rugby World Cup 2023: Ireland ready to stage a tournament ‘like no other’
via The Irish Times
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-world-cup-2023-ireland-ready-to-stage-a-tournament-like-no-other-1.2868745

So by 2023 the capacity of MacHale park (31,000) will become much less than it is today while the Pearse stadium capacity (34,000) in the wind tunnel of Salthill and nightmare for parking and driving to it will rise?

Tubberman

Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2016, 06:42:58 PM
Lads the GAA won't have to pay for all the refurbishments. The government grant towards PUC was linked to the rugby world cup as far as I know. In addition, many of our grounds need, or will need, refurbishment so if we can get that done with government (and IRFU?) contributions then we should take that. Once the rugby WC is over we should be left with modern recently refurbished grounds all over the country for us to use as we deem fit and with significantly less debt than if we did it ourselves, which we'd have to do at some point.

That would be my assumption on how the deal will work - otherwise the GAA have some terrible negotiators!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

The IFU have just been underwritten to the tune of €340 m by  Emergency legislation as they had been promised illegal aid from the Government .. it took them 3 hours with minimal debate so the next time you hear some politico bleat on about thing actually worthwhile  being taken care of in 'future legislation ' remember this day .
this figure include a €138 million fee to world rugby but does not include any of the hundreds of millions need as the IRFU only have 2.5 stadiums of Note which is going to lead to further over development of Gaa grounds at the expense of Grassroots sport. the over all bill will end up not far off a billion for a 3 week tournament in a minority sport. sheer daftness
I feel this ia major scandal in the making if the bid is successful
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

At least the liability is limited unlike the bank guarantee.
It does say a lot about priorities in times of austerity.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

NAG1

Quote from: rosnarun on July 06, 2017, 10:11:21 AM
The IFU have just been underwritten to the tune of €340 m by  Emergency legislation as they had been promised illegal aid from the Government .. it took them 3 hours with minimal debate so the next time you hear some politico bleat on about thing actually worthwhile  being taken care of in 'future legislation ' remember this day .
this figure include a €138 million fee to world rugby but does not include any of the hundreds of millions need as the IRFU only have 2.5 stadiums of Note which is going to lead to further over development of Gaa grounds at the expense of Grassroots sport. the over all bill will end up not far off a billion for a 3 week tournament in a minority sport. sheer daftness
I feel this ia major scandal in the making if the bid is successful

Unless they get Casement up and running shortly I think it is going to be a non-runner.

Which is probably unlikely given the time scales now but having two major venues in Belfast was always going to be one of the underpinning elements of the bid.