2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Throw this game. Send out a few Camross lads to flake all round them, and throw it.

Zooming around

Is there any realistic way that the final won't be Laois v Westmeath?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Zooming around on June 11, 2019, 10:02:29 AM
Is there any realistic way that the final won't be Laois v Westmeath?

Not realistically. We would have to hammer WH and Kerry would have to hammer Offaly. Neither are likely.

Westmeath unlikely to put out a weakened team against us as they can't afford to be beaten well. I would guess that if Eddie has a Brian Cody type mentality he will put out our strongest team and try to get the psychological advantage over WH that comes through winning. Of course, the risk is huge if you lose and also will give WH an opportunity to learn. I just don't think it's in Eddie to hold back.

I believe that despite getting beaten by Kerry at home, Westmeath are the form team. They hammered Offaly, much easier than we did. They were very comfortable over Antrim in Dunloy. They have some fine hurlers who have managed to beat Laois before at U21 and senior level as well as beating Eddie Brennan's Kilkenny at U-21. They also carry the pain of narrowly losing the final last year. We will have to step it up to beat them. We have stuttered too much through many of the games that we should have won well. Kerry exposed us badly in defence and only for the goal-fest we were in trouble. Saying all that, we have come on a show since last year and if we play to our potential we should shade it. It's going to be ding-dong as they say.

Don Draper

You'd want your head examined to go play your first team this weekend. I'd ask PJ, Packie and few of the lads to tog out for this one.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on June 11, 2019, 11:13:38 AM
You'd want your head examined to go play your first team this weekend. I'd ask PJ, Packie and few of the lads to tog out for this one.

It's a wonder you weren't called in as a selector.....

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 11, 2019, 12:58:58 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 11, 2019, 11:13:38 AM

It's a wonder you weren't called in as a selector.....
Tommy is doing a grand job, don't be rocking the boat.

Keyser Söze

The relegation/promotion set up is not right.
There is a simple solution.
Carlow v Waterford and the loser relegated. If Waterford were relegated and Laois (or another Leinster team) promoted, there is also a simple solution, Galway to Munster.
There is no reason for a Munster team to be shielded from relegation.
There is also no reason why Galway couldn't be moved between the provinces to maintain 5 & 5 in each.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: Keyser Söze on June 11, 2019, 02:04:37 PM
The relegation/promotion set up is not right.
There is a simple solution.
Carlow v Waterford and the loser relegated. If Waterford were relegated and Laois (or another Leinster team) promoted, there is also a simple solution, Galway to Munster.
There is no reason for a Munster team to be shielded from relegation.
There is also no reason why Galway couldn't be moved between the provinces to maintain 5 & 5 in each.

Good idea

MasterJ

Laois have not played hurling in croker since 2005 and the only ones that have are the 2013 minor players. Westmeath were there last year and they will not be as nervous. However, brennan knows the place well and should be able stop the nerves.

Don Draper

Quote from: MasterJ on June 11, 2019, 03:45:41 PM
Laois have not played hurling in croker since 2005 and the only ones that have are the 2013 minor players. Westmeath were there last year and they will not be as nervous. However, brennan knows the place well and should be able stop the nerves.
Matt Whelan has lifted silverware in Croke Park.

redsetanta

What silverware was that?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on June 11, 2019, 04:16:10 PM
What silverware was that?
He captained Ireland to the Shinty in 2015 alongside Zane and Reilly.

SpeculativeEffort

Is there any way that the 3 games on June 30th can be seen by all hurling followers or are some of the games clashing?
Could we have:
1pm Mcdonagh final
2.45pm Leinster Final
4.15pm Munster Final
Or similar

MasterJ

I don't think they clash. You may miss the build-up though :D :D

SpeculativeEffort

Fairly certain they clashed last year.