Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: smelmoth on May 14, 2019, 01:22:37 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on May 14, 2019, 01:17:03 PM
Think I would rather watch paint drying.

Any word of a candidate's debate? These candidates need to be properly exposed. Could play to Morrice's strength

Sure they were all on UTV last night!!!

Naomi will be getting my vote. . .

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 14, 2019, 01:14:43 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 14, 2019, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 14, 2019, 12:59:15 AM
The bar is set pretty low when it comes to politicians here so I don't see what the obsession is with Martina Anderson other than a bit of old fashioned Sinn Fein bashing? They're all pretty shite as individuals and politicians, she definitely doesn't have the monopoly in the department
You can criticise her without nailing SF. I think she is absolutely useless and has zero respect amongst her peers. She got voted in because of who she is rather than what she can do. I would equally say the same about Dodds.

If I wanted someone to diligently and competently fight my corner in Europe I'd go for Long. I'd even have Danny Kennedy ahead of either Anderson or Dodds.

Have you ever seen Anderson and Dodds in the same debate? If you did you wouldn't put them anywhere near the same level!
That's an argument around levels of mediocrity.

screenexile

Insane Bolt

Quote from: smelmoth on May 14, 2019, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 14, 2019, 08:06:16 AM
What I find sad is that 20+ years after the GFA the majority of voters are still voting for the two extremes....green or orange. I can't see it changing any time soon.
Local council elections here in England were being hailed as if the people had risen up so to speak and given the two main parties a reality check......the sad reality is come a general election.....you have blue or red.
I'm certainly done with voting.

That makes no sense. There must be one candidate worth voting for. Get out and vote for them. Your are going to have a future, that future will be influenced by politicians. To opt out and leave the selection of and accountability of politicians to others is a cop out

If you think the calibre of candidate in N.I. is poor....ie Dodds and Anderson......have a look at who is standing in England😂 from Tommy Robinson to Ann Widdecombe to Farage to Lord Adonis....if I only had four bullets left in my gun.....Farage gets them all. I'm beyond caring anymore and really feel for the younger generation. Hopefully if I'm still alive come next year I'll head somewhere warm to live out whatever time I have left.

RedHand88

smelmoth

Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2019, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 14, 2019, 01:22:37 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on May 14, 2019, 01:17:03 PM
Think I would rather watch paint drying.

Any word of a candidate's debate? These candidates need to be properly exposed. Could play to Morrice's strength

Sure they were all on UTV last night!!!

Naomi will be getting my vote. . .
Missed that. Anything worth catching up on? How did the 2 incumbents do?

LooseCannon

May I ask what have the SDLP and the UUP done wrong in comparison to the extreme parties in the North?

It's not as is the SDLP have murdered anyone, have they?
Genuinely curious.

smelmoth

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 14, 2019, 02:05:02 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 14, 2019, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 14, 2019, 08:06:16 AM
What I find sad is that 20+ years after the GFA the majority of voters are still voting for the two extremes....green or orange. I can't see it changing any time soon.
Local council elections here in England were being hailed as if the people had risen up so to speak and given the two main parties a reality check......the sad reality is come a general election.....you have blue or red.
I'm certainly done with voting.

That makes no sense. There must be one candidate worth voting for. Get out and vote for them. Your are going to have a future, that future will be influenced by politicians. To opt out and leave the selection of and accountability of politicians to others is a cop out

If you think the calibre of candidate in N.I. is poor....ie Dodds and Anderson......have a look at who is standing in England😂 from Tommy Robinson to Ann Widdecombe to Farage to Lord Adonis....if I only had four bullets left in my gun.....Farage gets them all. I'm beyond caring anymore and really feel for the younger generation. Hopefully if I'm still alive come next year I'll head somewhere warm to live out whatever time I have left.

With a population the size of GB I'm not surprised that there are 4 candidates as bad as that but there are other candidates and you only have to pick one

smelmoth

Quote from: LooseCannon on May 14, 2019, 03:23:59 PM
May I ask what have the SDLP and the UUP done wrong in comparison to the extreme parties in the North?

Genuinely curious.

They got old and they didn't tool up for the cynical professionalism/professional cynicism of SF/DUP

Earlier mention of co-option. SF routinely co opt young and inexperienced people on to council so that in their first election they are incumbents and possibly even have a track record.

screenexile

Genuinely curious.

It's how you sell it . . . Sinn Fein could never have the support of ordinary Nationalists when the IRA was still engaged in armed struggle. When they gave it up Sinn Fein portrayed themselves as the peacemakers who wanted a United Ireland through political means.

SDLP never really pushed for a United Ireland hard enough so they lost a lot of support that way and once they lost big personalities like Hume and Mallon they were always going to struggle. McDevitt offered them some hope but then he was too principled for stepping down for something which in todays politics would barely cause a ripple!!!

Likewise the DUP were hard liners taking a back seat to the UUP crying down the Good Friday agreement but then there were 29% odd against it and mostly Unionist so they hoovered those up and then went into Government with Sinn Fein anyway!!!

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: smelmoth on May 14, 2019, 03:29:40 PM

Genuinely curious.

They got old and they didn't tool up for the cynical professionalism/professional cynicism of SF/DUP

Earlier mention of co-option. SF routinely co opt young and inexperienced people on to council so that in their first election they are incumbents and possibly even have a track record.

The old time nodding dogs on the back shelves of the cars of yesteryear had more capacity for independent thought than the current batch of SF clones - all looky likeys.

trailer

Co-opting. Jobs for the boys/girls. If you're a good little boy or girl and do what the Felon's club tells you, you'll get a cushey MLA number.

marty34

Quote from: trailer on May 14, 2019, 09:45:23 PM
Co-opting. Jobs for the boys/girls. If you're a good little boy or girl and do what the Felon's club tells you, you'll get a cushey MLA number.

Or the Durkans in Derry or Dallats in Causeway or the Paisleys, Poots and Robinsons etc. etc....all the same in every political party.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on May 14, 2019, 09:48:14 PM

Or the Durkans in Derry or Dallats in Causeway or the Paisleys, Poots and Robinsons etc. etc....all the same in every political party.
Which Durkan was co opted?
Which Dallat was co opted?
Which Paisley was co opted?
Which Robinson was co opted?

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on May 14, 2019, 09:48:14 PM

It's definitely not the same in every political party.

I see there is an issue with postal votes for the European elections in NI. Be interesting to see if this has an effect on percentage vote share....