Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 14, 2018, 05:53:16 PM
He's going after MMA now

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/joe-brolly-is-it-good-enough-that-a-young-man-be-beaten-to-death-in-a-cage-for-our-amusement-34633644.html

I love watching boxing, but jesus that article is a real leveller. That pic of Michael Watson at the end of his bout with Eubank gave me shivers. Mind it like it was yesterday.

RedHand88

It's hard to argue with anything he said in the article.

First person to say "don't like it, don't watch it" is getting muted.

BennyCake

What's more fcuked up is boys flying to Vegas to watch this freak show. And the sad thing is lots of lads going to train in mma to emulate him

BennyHarp

"MMA is not a sport. It is sold and marketed like the violent video game market. No boundaries. No rules, violence is good. Smash up a bus (a UFC spokesperson said next day "Dana is very pissed off about this."). Gloat over your opponent shitting in the cage as you literally beat the shit out of her. Knock a rival supporter unconscious as part of the fun. Kill a Portuguese kid. Let it all spread like wildfire amongst the kids."

Given Joe's obvious distain for the sport and the negative impact it might have on its young fans...im a little surprised he let his own house be the venue for his son and 6 mates to sit up all night and watch it.
That was never a square ball!!

lurganblue

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 14, 2018, 11:46:34 PM
"MMA is not a sport. It is sold and marketed like the violent video game market. No boundaries. No rules, violence is good. Smash up a bus (a UFC spokesperson said next day "Dana is very pissed off about this."). Gloat over your opponent shitting in the cage as you literally beat the shit out of her. Knock a rival supporter unconscious as part of the fun. Kill a Portuguese kid. Let it all spread like wildfire amongst the kids."

Given Joe's obvious distain for the sport and the negative impact it might have on its young fans...im a little surprised he let his own house be the venue for his son and 6 mates to sit up all night and watch it.

Got up to watch it himself too, just to make sure it was as gruesome as he expected.

J70

He right on the money IMO.

glens73

When Khabib choked him out in the fourth round, I thought of the fine line they tread between life and death. If that choke had continued, how long before this exhausted human being slipped into a coma? Ten, 15 seconds? What if his windpipe had been crushed? At that point, McGregor could easily have been bleeding into his brain.

The choke wasn't even on his neck, he wasn't paying that much attention.

As for MMA having no rules.......

dublin7

I also think Brolly is spot on regarding UFC. Its basically a bloodsport

You look at the later fights and you can see where the blood has soaked into the mat from previous fights. As far as I can see there really are no rules.

Dana White is a joke with his crocodile tears in the press conference talking about the post fight fiasco.

Dana White's quote a few days later "The pay-per-view numbers are starting to roll in, so I'm in a much better mood than I was on Saturday,"

I expect him to organise a rematch and use the post fight scenes as part of the build up to sell more pay per views. It's all about the money for him/organisation and anything goes as long as it pull in the $$$s

glens73

Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2018, 03:37:35 PM

You look at the later fights and you can see where the blood has soaked into the mat from previous fights. As far as I can see there really are no rules.

Dana White is a joke with his crocodile tears in the press conference talking about the post fight fiasco.

Dana White's quote a few days later "The pay-per-view numbers are starting to roll in, so I'm in a much better mood than I was on Saturday,"

I expect him to organise a rematch and use the post fight scenes as part of the build up to sell more pay per views. It's all about the money for him/organisation and anything goes as long as it pull in the $$$s

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

RedHand88

Quote from: glens73 on October 15, 2018, 03:42:26 PM

"The page you were looking for doesn't exist."

Lol that backfired.

screenexile

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 15, 2018, 03:53:29 PM

Lol that backfired.

The following acts constitute fouls in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts and may result in penalties, at the discretion of thereferee, if committed:

Butting with the head
Eye gouging of any kind
Biting
Spitting at an opponent
Hair pulling
Fish hooking
Groin attacks of any kind
Putting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponent
Small joint manipulation
Striking downward using the point of the elbow
Striking to the spine or the back of the head
Kicking to the kidney with a heel
Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh
Grabbing the clavicle
Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
Stomping a grounded opponent
Holding the fence
Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent
Using abusive language in fenced ring/fighting area
Engaging in any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent
Attacking an opponent on or during the break
Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the round
Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury
Throwing opponent out of ring/fighting area
Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee
Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck
Interference by the corner
Applying any foreign substance to the hair or body to gain an advantage

BennyHarp

I care little for UFC, but when someone is calling for it to be banned in a national newspaper when he doesn't even ban it in his own home for his 13 your old son and a group of his mates then his argument becomes a little weak.

"This sport is awful, disgusting shouldn't be allowed and is a bad influence on the young ones."

"Dad, can I invite my mates round, stay up all night and watch a violent, rabid sport that you want banned?"

"Yeah, no bother son, make sure and wake me up when it starts".
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 15, 2018, 04:06:22 PM

I care little for UFC, but when someone is calling for it to be banned in a national newspaper when he doesn't even ban it in his own home for his 13 your old son and a group of his mates then his argument becomes a little weak.

"This sport is awful, disgusting shouldn't be allowed and is a bad influence on the young ones."

"Dad, can I invite my mates round, stay up all night and watch a violent, rabid sport that you want banned?"

"Yeah, no bother son, make sure and wake me up when it starts".

Hang on did the article come out before or after he watched the fight??

I know you're from Tyrone and you hate Brolly but at least have a legitimate reason for it!

glens73

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 15, 2018, 03:53:29 PM

Lol that backfired.

Works fine for me.

I can understand why some people don't like UFC, each to their own. While not safe, it's much safer than boxing.