Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 22, 2020, 02:01:05 PM
Actually I really like the Kerry system - I think the idea that anyone can win a SFC no matter what club they may hail from is a great equaliser.

Would stop certain clubs from their current antics.

Can't agree.

All Kerry have done is create super clubs. Only 8 senior clubs take part in their senior championship afaik.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

It creates super clubs surely, there are obvious pluses and negatives to it and every system. I love straight knockout in Tyrone. But at the same time, look at the boost it gives Kerry as a county getting those players exposure at that level.

Wouldn't it be great to see an West Tyrone team take on, say Errigal with players like Shane Cleary and maybe Jonny Lafferty on the same team? Junior Football in Tyrone is strong, they do have some really good players there but obviously depth is the issue.

It would require tweaking, how it would work in Tyrone I'm not sure just yet but before Covid, participation was a major issue. It might be something the powers that be need to look at down the line?

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 22, 2020, 02:46:04 PM
It creates super clubs surely, there are obvious pluses and negatives to it and every system. I love straight knockout in Tyrone. But at the same time, look at the boost it gives Kerry as a county getting those players exposure at that level.

Wouldn't it be great to see an West Tyrone team take on, say Errigal with players like Shane Cleary and maybe Jonny Lafferty on the same team? Junior Football in Tyrone is strong, they do have some really good players there but obviously depth is the issue.

It would require tweaking, how it would work in Tyrone I'm not sure just yet but before Covid, participation was a major issue. It might be something the powers that be need to look at down the line?

There is elements to it but there's also the case if you followed the Kerry model, you would be bumping 8 teams down to intermediate.

Would Dungannon have been playing senior football this year if that was the case?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

The leagues were for restructuring this season anyway back to the old model of four divisions. Not sure how or if that's happening with teams able to go up but nobody getting relegated next year.

Tribal nature of Tyrone football probably means it wouldn't really kick off, but the Newtonstewart / Dregish amalgamation looks like a sign of things to come in rural GAA.

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 22, 2020, 03:02:23 PM
Tribal nature of Tyrone football probably means it wouldn't really kick off, but the Newtonstewart / Dregish amalgamation looks like a sign of things to come in rural GAA.

I do like aspects of the Kerry model but this is the stumbling block here. I don't think there'd be buy in from supporters. But as you say amalgamations will become common place in the years ahead.

Onthe40

Derrytresk have fielded independently at all youth levels this year
have some great youth players coming through their ranks

we played their 10s & 12s in recent months..v strong.

GetOverTheBar

Do Derrytresk/Brocagh and Killyman not combine at underage level?

I thought that was the Gael Naomh Pádraig club?

*EDIT, this is Clogher. I thought there was an almalgamation club involving those three though.

LeoMc

There is a Naomh Padraig and a Gael Naomh Padraig. 2 different amalgamations

GetOverTheBar

That's it, the former was the one I was thinking of.

Must just be Brocagh and Killyman then?

square_ball

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 22, 2020, 03:44:02 PM

Speaking of which, I see the Derrylaughan/Eskra U14 G4 league final is going to a replay, reading the report on TTM, after the match finished level AET. I thought the protocol for youth championship & league knockout games were that they had to finish on the day via extra time (2x10 mins), then double extra time (2x5 mins) and if that didn't produce a winner, carrying on until the next team to score wins? Edit: I was wrong, apparently it should have went to a shoot-out!
https://tyronegaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CCC-Youth-Regulations-2020.pdf

Jeez if there had have been penalties there I think Teamtalkmag would have spontaneously combusted after the complaining they done about the senior final going to penalties.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eire90

Strabane Now An epicenter of virus place has lost the plot.

WT4E

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on September 15, 2020, 11:55:42 AM
Quote from: TabClear on September 15, 2020, 09:44:28 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 14, 2020, 10:44:20 PM
JFC Quarter Finals...

Brackaville vs. Drumquin (Saturday @Pomeroy 1.00pm)
Brocagh vs. Cookstown (TBA)
Drumragh vs. Castlederg (Saturday @Newtownstewart 1.00pm)
Kildress vs. Urney (Sunday @Killyclogher 1.00pm)

Cookstown and Kildress to go through comfortably. Other two harder to call.

Drumquin seem to have improved significantly this year so I will back them.

Drumragh/Castlederg is 50:50. I will go with Drumragh on the back of their performance last week but I dont expect much to be in it.

Are the semis an open draw or have the pairings been decided?
Brave statement to completely rule out Urney when they have Johnny Lafferty and Jamie McAleer in their ranks. Will be a very close game and those two could be difference makers, Kildress may have a better team all round but they havent got game changers like them. Kildress were also very lucky against Eskra with that goal decision. Des Tracey still being the best player is also concerning for them.

Would like to hear goals will come predictions this weekend.... Seems to have his finger on the pulse of junior.

bogball88

Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2020, 11:29:39 PM
JFC Quarter Finals...

Drumragh/Castlederg is 50:50. I will go with Drumragh on the back of their performance last week but I dont expect much to be in it.

Brave statement to completely rule out Urney when they have Johnny Lafferty and Jamie McAleer in their ranks. Will be a very close game and those two could be difference makers, Kildress may have a better team all round but they havent got game changers like them. Kildress were also very lucky against Eskra with that goal decision. Des Tracey still being the best player is also concerning for them.

Would like to hear goals will come predictions this weekend.... Seems to have his finger on the pulse of junior.
;D

TabClear

Quote from: bogball88 on September 25, 2020, 11:17:51 AM
Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2020, 11:29:39 PM
JFC Quarter Finals...

;D

I should have had a few quid on my predictions  ;)

Cookstown probably flattered on the scoreline in the quarter final so expect Kildress to win that one by 3-4 points albeit with the history there it could get feisty.

Drumragh should have too much for Drumquin on the other side. Both teams seem to have brought some younger players through this year but expect the Sarsfields to come through by about the same margin.