The OFFICIAL Ulster Rugby Thread

Started by Myles Na G., October 21, 2009, 10:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

No way you could fault any Ulster player there... Some performance in adversity the whole team stood up there. Phenomenal effort!!!

Dinny Breen

Fantastic game- I really thought they were going to do it at the end.
#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 05, 2014, 08:23:55 PM
Quote from: Sidney on April 05, 2014, 08:23:00 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 05, 2014, 07:50:00 PM
Quote from: Sidney on April 05, 2014, 07:28:25 PM
It was reckless and showed no duty of care for his opponent - he could easily have paralysed him from the neck down, like happened to that Australian rugby league player last week.

When I saw it I immediately thought red.

Sidney on the wind yet again.
Nothing windy about it. Goode landed on his head. The opponent has a duty of care to his opponent in such a situation, and malice or no malice intended, he neglected it.

For a man who has no interest in the game of rugby you have plenty of answers!

He's full of shite, was with an ex Ulster player in my house tonight watching the game (next door neighbour) he said, while a bad tackle it wasn't red, this guy teaching P.E and coaches the local school rugby, but Sid knows best.......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 05, 2014, 10:39:10 PM
It was reckless and showed no duty of care for his opponent - he could easily have paralysed him from the neck down, like happened to that Australian rugby league player last week.

Nothing windy about it. Goode landed on his head. The opponent has a duty of care to his opponent in such a situation, and malice or no malice intended, he neglected it.

He's full of shite, was with an ex Ulster player in my house tonight watching the game (next door neighbour) he said, while a bad tackle it wasn't red, this guy teaching P.E and coaches the local school rugby, but Sid knows best.......

Brian Moore reckoned it was "arguable but no travesty".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on April 05, 2014, 10:49:01 PM

Brian Moore reckoned it was "arguable but no travesty".

I wonder would Brian have the same view if it was someone from his own team? Again I said it was a bad tackle collision but been a while since I seen a red card in rugby for that type of incident. I'm glad he's ok after the hit but I think the had he got up right away the card colour would have been different.

All about opinions, the main one that matters was the referees, thems the breaks, in a lot of sports (gaelic games soccer) you can work with one less player, in rugby it seems that you can't (at that level)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sidney

Yeah and I'm sure the ex-Ulster player wouldn't have been at all biased in his view.

You can say all you want that Payne had his eyes on the ball, but he has a duty of care to know where he is in relation to his opponent. He didn't, and that's reckless. 

There's no question that Goode could easily have been paralysed. Once hit he was out of control of his body, rotating in the air, with his head travelling at speed towards the ground with no time to break his fall. It was more dangerous than what Sam Warburton did as it happened at greater speed and from a greater height. Once a player puts an opponent in that position, he can't complain if it's a red.

With regard to the tackle which seemingly has paralysed McKinnon for life, it's a standard tackle that is taught and encouraged by NRL teams - a three man tackle. I find it incredible how this type of stuff is considered acceptable, and they need to look urgently at the law which allows it, because it's an ass. They could actually learn from rugby union in this regard - the clamping down on spear tackles and other dangerous tackles which can lead to spinal injury is one of the few things to admire in the game.

Walter Cronc

Sidney have you ever played the game? From your anti rugby posts after the 6 nations I'm guessing no. So then you have limited knowledge of what's involved in both chasing and fielding an up and under. Past your bedtime!

Sidney

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 05, 2014, 11:46:01 PM
Sidney have you ever played the game? From your anti rugby posts after the 6 nations I'm guessing no. So then you have limited knowledge of what's involved in both chasing and fielding an up and under. Past your bedtime!
Yes, unfortunately I have played it.

J OGorman

Yellow for me. If he had taken his eye off the flight of the ball for a second, but he didnt. 2 men going cleanly for the ball. With so much bravado in chasing and catching the big up n under (incredible skill when ball is taken clean and setup under fierce pressure) there will be plenty of big knocks and injuries.

What a game tonight. Against all odds they nearly pulled it out of the fire....Incredible effort

T Fearon

Suppose you could say,No Payne,No Gain for Ulster?

Main Street

That was  a late, reckless and dangerous collision. What kind of fool goes running in with his hand outstretched, waiting for manna to drop in to them, blindly ignorant of a flying elephant heading his way?

Denn Forever

I thought you couldn't tackle someone while they in the air?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

That cannot be accurate described as a tackle of any kind.
It's a collision.

If that's a tackle, then it has to be one of the dumbest tackles ever made in the rugby field.

AQMP

First I've seen of it.  That can't be a tackle as Payne didn't use his arms.  I was following the game on the BBC website and interestingly when it happened they described it Payne's hit as "horrendous".  I suppose it's on the edge of yellow/red but as Roy Keane would say he gave the ref the opportunity to send him off.