Qualifiers days/dates .... why not known when draw made?

Started by blast05, July 19, 2009, 11:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

I find it fierce frustrating that the fixtures committe can not sit down in advance of the draws to be made and cover al possibilities. For example, how difficult would it have been to come up with this schedule:

Kerry v Limerick - Sat Thurles 7pm
Kerry v Antrim - Sat Parnell Park 7pm
Kerry v Galway - Sat Limerick 7pm
Kerry v Kildare - Sat Thurles 7pm

Ros/Meath v Limerick - Sat 1st Ennis or Portlaoise 7pm
Ros/Meath v Antrim - Sat 1st Clones 7pm
Ros/Meath v Galway - Sat 1st Castlebar or Roscommon 7pm
Ros/Meath v Kildare - Sat 1st Portloaise 7pm

and so on for the rest of the possible scenarios.
Then as soon as the fixtuers are made the date/venue/time etc could be announced (as for example the FA cup on BBC)

Also, and a much bigger quibble for me at the moment .... why can they not announce now which provencial finalists will be playing on which days:
e.g.: Connact and Munster winners on Sat, Ulster on Sunday and Leinster on Monday  .... and whoever delayed qualifier is drawn against is moved to the following weekend.

If they are interested in maximising attendances from Mayo then we need to be playing on the Sat ..... all Dublin based Mayo folk would hang around for the match if it was on the Sat and then head west Sat evening for festivals etc on the bank holiday weekend (i know where i am from it is the busiest weekend of the year with everyone home). If we are on the Sunday, then a lot of the part time supporters will give the match a miss and head west instead for the full weekend.

Aaron Boone

And it's not a bank-holiday in the North on the Monday, so Tyrone & Antrim out of the equation then.
Wexford/Roscommon draw has messed it up, but a qualifer draw AET always going to happen sometime.

Gnevin

Quote from: blast05 on July 19, 2009, 11:25:20 PM
I find it fierce frustrating that the fixtures committe can not sit down in advance of the draws to be made and cover al possibilities. For example, how difficult would it have been to come up with this schedule:

Kerry v Limerick - Sat Thurles 7pm
Kerry v Antrim - Sat Parnell Park 7pm
Kerry v Galway - Sat Limerick 7pm
Kerry v Kildare - Sat Thurles 7pm

Ros/Meath v Limerick - Sat 1st Ennis or Portlaoise 7pm
Ros/Meath v Antrim - Sat 1st Clones 7pm
Ros/Meath v Galway - Sat 1st Castlebar or Roscommon 7pm
Ros/Meath v Kildare - Sat 1st Portloaise 7pm

and so on for the rest of the possible scenarios.
Then as soon as the fixtuers are made the date/venue/time etc could be announced (as for example the FA cup on BBC)

Also, and a much bigger quibble for me at the moment .... why can they not announce now which provencial finalists will be playing on which days:
e.g.: Connact and Munster winners on Sat, Ulster on Sunday and Leinster on Monday  .... and whoever delayed qualifier is drawn against is moved to the following weekend.

If they are interested in maximising attendances from Mayo then we need to be playing on the Sat ..... all Dublin based Mayo folk would hang around for the match if it was on the Sat and then head west Sat evening for festivals etc on the bank holiday weekend (i know where i am from it is the busiest weekend of the year with everyone home). If we are on the Sunday, then a lot of the part time supporters will give the match a miss and head west instead for the full weekend.

A lot of wasted effort for events that will never happen. You have to check each venue for availability all with in 24 hours .  
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

blast05

QuoteA lot of wasted effort for events that will never happen. You have to check each venue for availability all with in 24 hours . 

Wasted effort ??   :o

"Hello McHale Park - would you be interested in holding a qualifier on the bank holiday weekend" ?
Yes, absolutely, no problem - we're 5 million in debt after the revamp so whenever suits yee we'll be able to accomodate"

Archie Mitchell

They probably have a fair idea of venues for possible pairings but day and time decision will be determined by the TV companies as they have paid for the rights. Most of the time the announcement is made the next day after the draw, hardly a big wait is it.

Gnevin

Quote from: blast05 on July 19, 2009, 11:53:48 PM
QuoteA lot of wasted effort for events that will never happen. You have to check each venue for availability all with in 24 hours . 

Wasted effort ??   :o

"Hello McHale Park - would you be interested in holding a qualifier on the bank holiday weekend" ?
Yes, absolutely, no problem - we're 5 million in debt after the revamp so whenever suits yee we'll be able to accomodate"

Knowing the GAA there is no doubt not a single list of contacts . So it's more

No idea, you'll have to ask John Joe.

10 phone calls later.

Owe no sorry we can't the pitch is in bits

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

deiseach

Quote from: Gnevin on July 20, 2009, 12:31:27 AM
Knowing the GAA there is no doubt not a single list of contacts . So it's more

No idea, you'll have to ask John Joe.

10 phone calls later.

Owe no sorry we can't the pitch is in bits

:D

magpie seanie

We're due to play a club championship match in Markievicz Park on Saturday evening. I wonder is there any chance we could be re-routed to facilitate Donegal v. Galway?

Lecale2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 20, 2009, 10:27:06 AM
We're due to play a club championship match in Markievicz Park on Saturday evening. I wonder is there any chance we could be re-routed to facilitate Donegal v. Galway?
You could be part of a double header thus allowing HQ to increase admission prices by 60%!