Tyrone v Mayo - Sun 2nd Feb - 2.30pm - Healy Park, Omagh (Joe McQuillan ref)

Started by tyroneman, January 29, 2019, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 06, 2019, 07:55:35 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 05, 2019, 11:24:43 PM
attendance only 6500. corresponding fixture 2 years ago had 8500. tyrone support getting smaller and smaller.

The corresponding fixture two years ago was a sun drenched day in late March. It was championship weather.

Sunday past was as bad as it gets conditions wise.
can't always blame the weather. Kerry had near 13000 at first game in worse conditions. Mayo had 11000 in a storm first Saturday night.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 05, 2019, 01:19:53 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2019, 11:28:49 AM
Optimism in Mayo will be on the rise since Sunday.

Got to give them credit for the way they play football, their always great to watch.

Great result! Promising debuts, but you'd have to wonder at where Tyrone are at, at the minute?

Dublin are so far ahead, there is a lot of ground to make up! Nobody losing the run of themselves.

In fairness its not been Mayo people getting carried away its the media, the new off the ball football show been the latest example.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 06, 2019, 02:14:13 PM

Got to give them credit for the way they play football, their always great to watch.

Great result! Promising debuts, but you'd have to wonder at where Tyrone are at, at the minute?

Dublin are so far ahead, there is a lot of ground to make up! Nobody losing the run of themselves.

In fairness its not been Mayo people getting carried away its the media, the new off the ball football show been the latest example.

Yeah, but who cares if supporters lose the run of themselves anyway? It's all part of following a team. Tyrone beat Mayo easily last year and they've more than turned the tables this time round and introduced a few new players along the way so fair play to them. Tyrone were disappointing on Sunday and looked fairly clueless going forward, i'll hold fire on writing our chances of improving just yet though.
That was never a square ball!!

GalwayBayBoy

Wooly Parkinson the same.

magpie seanie

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 06, 2019, 02:34:34 PM

Wooly Parkinson the same.

Wooly and the lads talked a lot about the positives for Mayo but I don't think they were getting too carried away. I do think there is reason for optimism in Mayo though. Horan is a better coach that Rochford and some of their young lads look like they might be able to contribute later in the year. Mayo have struggled badly in the league the last few seasons meaning they've had to grind out results in the later rounds to survive so with two wins on the board they should be happy and able to experiment more in the later parts of the league. Plus Galway look a shade off where they were last year.

spuds

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 06, 2019, 12:05:01 PM
Quote from: spuds on February 06, 2019, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 05, 2019, 11:32:16 PM
attendance only 6500. corresponding fixture 2 years ago had 8500. tyrone support getting smaller and smaller.

It's the loss of hope. The common Tyrone football fan knows the Gap between themselves and Dublin. The Mayo fan has forgotten about last year and still harks back to Mayo losing by 1 point in 2017! They think their mainstay are the same, and forget they will be 2 years older this year. Years of being ''Close'' and bouncing back the next year, gives renewed false hope.
Copy paste job again Bunker? Cheer up ta feck.  :)

Copy/Paste from where?
Same negative dour comments in every thread you post on. Meet the challenge and power on best we can.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

guy crouchback

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 06, 2019, 01:27:00 PM

The corresponding fixture two years ago was a sun drenched day in late March. It was championship weather.

can't always blame the weather. Kerry had near 13000 at first game in worse conditions. Mayo had 11000 in a storm first Saturday night.
on attendances, as has been mentioned before mayo understate their home gates for every league match and have been at it for at least the last 5-7 years. they are fairly consistent  with the understatement, usually in the region of 2-3k,more on occasion.
i assume they are doing this by pocketing the money from tickets bought with cash on the night and using certain capable stewards on certain turnstiles.

spuds

Quote from: guy crouchback on February 07, 2019, 10:27:01 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 06, 2019, 01:27:00 PM

on attendances, as has been mentioned before mayo understate their home gates for every league match and have been at it for at least the last 5-7 years. they are fairly consistent  with the understatement, usually in the region of 2-3k,more on occasion.
i assume they are doing this by pocketing the money from tickets bought with cash on the night and using certain capable stewards on certain turnstiles.
Under 16s got in free for Rosscommon home game, are these included in attendance figure as they still go in through turnstile?

For as long as I remember attendance figures always understated.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

guy crouchback

yes under 16's are included in the attendances, everyone who goes through the attendances is supposed to be counted.
from a health and safety point of view you can imagine how important that is. 
i suppose this only possible with a half empty ground, it would be hard to get away with in a big championship match.

anyone remember the mayo v  dublin  match a few years ago where it was oblivious to anyone on the hill that there was a bigger crowd than normal in there, everyone was waiting for the attendance to be announced in the second half but it never was.

all the papers just reported it as a full house.