Roscommon v Galway - Connacht SFC Final 2017 [Wind Tunnel, 9/7/17]

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2017, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 10, 2017, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 10, 2017, 08:22:46 AM
Quote from: FermGael on July 10, 2017, 08:19:18 AM
Delighted for Roscommon and their supporters on here.
Have always found them a very knowledgeable and fair set of supporters.

McStay played a blnder.

Roscommon are one of the bottom 6 when it comes to playing numbers.
They showed that the lack of numbers argument is rubbish.
Great to see.

Well done to them but I think you're overegging the pudding a bit there.

Roscommon would probably have the third highest playing numbers in Connacht and all they had to was beat a Division 4 side to get to the final in the first place. Great result for them yesterday but it probably said as much about where Galway are at than Roscommon are.
Roscommon have been playing Div one football the last two years and Galway haven't played Div one football since 2011 and it showed in that Connacht final.

I don't actually think that was a factor at all. Mayo have been in division 1 for donkey's years but Galway beat them twice. Games like these (especially on a dirty day) often come down to attitude, mindset and workrate. One side had all those and the other didn't.

Roscommon showed up and played well from minute one, it's as simple as that.
It has to be remembered that Galway didn't play all that well against Mayo either, I expected them to improve from that showing but the performance was actually worse and as I said before the game, Roscommon were always going to bring everything they had for this final whether it was Galway or Mayo in opposition, their whole year was built around it, were Galway going to be able to show their best and match it? The answer was a categorical no.

Attitude and application during the 75 minutes are a different thing, I find it hard to believe that they could have take Roscommon (or any other team) for granted after the Tipp game last year, as DJGaliv mentioned already saying that Galway "underestimated Roscommon" gives the team an excuse they don't deserve as if that's the reason for the loss as opposed to not being able to match what Roscommon brought to the game yesterday - which is my reading of it. The Galway poor performance has to be credited in part to Roscommon who played very well and attacked the Galway flaws in an effective manner.

The Rossies got a trimming in the replay last year and had to suck it up, Galway will have to do likewise this year. I have no idea what the response will be against Donegal, hard to remain optimistic after yesterday.

Maroon Manc

Thats a very poor attempt from O'Donnell to try and stop Stack for that second goal, I'm far from convinced about his defensive qualities. Anyone else think Kerin did ok for a man who'd been out for so long? That first goal didn't reflect well on Galway either, you've got to give credit to Murtagh for a brilliant pass and Connolly for the finish but leaving one defender inside our own 45 when playing against the wind is brainless. I just don't see what Flynn brings to the team from half forward, FOC was very poor yesterday too and don't see why both need to start.

The reality is until we can bring in 3 or 4 defenders of better quality we're not going to trouble the top table but looking at the last 5 goals we've conceded against Tipp & Roscommon they all easily been avoided. Both games we were flat but its the kickouts that has killed us, completely dominated in both games.

Just don't know what to think of Lavelle, he's certainly not helped by how slow some of our backs seem to react but his 2 championship appearances to date have been in terrible conditions.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2017, 06:37:47 PM
Thats a very poor attempt from O'Donnell to try and stop Stack for that second goal, I'm far from convinced about his defensive qualities. Anyone else think Kerin did ok for a man who'd been out for so long? That first goal didn't reflect well on Galway either, you've got to give credit to Murtagh for a brilliant pass and Connolly for the finish but leaving one defender inside our own 45 when playing against the wind is brainless. I just don't see what Flynn brings to the team from half forward, FOC was very poor yesterday too and don't see why both need to start.

The reality is until we can bring in 3 or 4 defenders of better quality we're not going to trouble the top table but looking at the last 5 goals we've conceded against Tipp & Roscommon they all easily been avoided. Both games we were flat but its the kickouts that has killed us, completely dominated in both games.

Just don't know what to think of Lavelle, he's certainly not helped by how slow some of our backs seem to react but his 2 championship appearances to date have been in terrible conditions.

Not only that but the defender's positioning was all wrong which caused him to loose track of Connolly - it's fairly basic stuff to stay between the forward and the goal in a situation like this.

Overall the Galway defending was basket case stuff and until this and the kickout situation gets resolved they are going nowhere.

Looking ahead a bit, they are likely going to be massively up against it in Division 1 next year.

GalwayBayBoy

Thats a very poor attempt from O'Donnell to try and stop Stack for that second goal, I'm far from convinced about his defensive qualities. Anyone else think Kerin did ok for a man who'd been out for so long? That first goal didn't reflect well on Galway either, you've got to give credit to Murtagh for a brilliant pass and Connolly for the finish but leaving one defender inside our own 45 when playing against the wind is brainless.

It was actually utterly hopeless team defending and individual defending from Sweeney. As a team you just can't leave a one on one right in front of your own goal. It's asking for trouble. And it was awful defending from Sweeney. Growing up we were always coached to stay goal side of your man and to stay touch tight to him. It's basic defending 101. Sweeney had drifted 5 or 6 yards away from his man and had even allowed him to drift in behind him. All it took was a ball over the top and there was a certain goal chance. My old fella digged me in the ribs 5 seconds before the pass was even made roaring that Sweeney had let his man drift in behind him.

manfromdelmonte

David Gough played all his football as a corner back
won a trench cup with St Pats

he knows all the tricks defenders get up to off the ball

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 10, 2017, 04:29:38 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 10, 2017, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 10, 2017, 08:22:46 AM
Quote from: FermGael on July 10, 2017, 08:19:18 AM
Delighted for Roscommon and their supporters on here.
Have always found them a very knowledgeable and fair set of supporters.

McStay played a blnder.

Roscommon are one of the bottom 6 when it comes to playing numbers.
They showed that the lack of numbers argument is rubbish.
Great to see.

Well done to them but I think you're overegging the pudding a bit there.

Roscommon would probably have the third highest playing numbers in Connacht and all they had to was beat a Division 4 side to get to the final in the first place. Great result for them yesterday but it probably said as much about where Galway are at than Roscommon are.
Roscommon have been playing Div one football the last two years and Galway haven't played Div one football since 2011 and it showed in that Connacht final.

I don't actually think that was a factor at all. Mayo have been in division 1 for donkey's years but Galway beat them twice. Games like these (especially on a dirty day) often come down to attitude, mindset and workrate. One side had all those and the other didn't.

Roscommon showed up and played well from minute one, it's as simple as that.
It has to be remembered that Galway didn't play all that well against Mayo either, I expected them to improve from that showing but the performance was actually worse and as I said before the game, Roscommon were always going to bring everything they had for this final whether it was Galway or Mayo in opposition, their whole year was built around it, were Galway going to be able to show their best and match it? The answer was a categorical no.

Attitude and application during the 75 minutes are a different thing, I find it hard to believe that they could have take Roscommon (or any other team) for granted after the Tipp game last year, as DJGaliv mentioned already saying that Galway "underestimated Roscommon" gives the team an excuse they don't deserve as if that's the reason for the loss as opposed to not being able to match what Roscommon brought to the game yesterday - which is my reading of it. The Galway poor performance has to be credited in part to Roscommon who played very well and attacked the Galway flaws in an effective manner.

The Rossies got a trimming in the replay last year and had to suck it up, Galway will have to do likewise this year. I have no idea what the response will be against Donegal, hard to remain optimistic after yesterday.
Mayo had Higgins sent off in the first half and Galway spent months preparing for that match.
There is a quote about power- that it may or may not corrupt but it always reveals.
The championship always reveals. Ros went for the weaknesses.

Duine Eile

Well done Roscommon, no excuses, better team won, fair play to Kevin McStay after all the stick he took over the last 12 months. Enda Smith was absolutely fantastic. Galway were a shambles from start to finish. Would agree about Kerin MM, he was the only one of the backs that stood up yesterday, himself and Shane Walsh are about the only 2 to come out of that with any pride. The half back line were wiped out yet again and left the full back line wide open. Our kick outs are absolutely shocking, Lavelle is taking awful stick and was probably doing as he was told by management but his short kick outs put his backs under awful bother and his distribution is terrible. I don't think he's up to it and should be the first change for the next day. It was a disaster of a day and was finished off with a complete loss of discipline. It'll be difficult to raise the heads for the Donegal game but hopefully they play for a bit of pride in the jersey, that certainly wasn't shown yesterday.

Farrandeelin

Just wanted to add my congratulations to Ros and their fans on here. Also happy for McStay. He got a lot of criticism for the past year. Maybe the hard work at underage is starting to show for Ros now.

PS, Roscommon must be praying for relegation every year now. 2010 and 2017... Well done once again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 11, 2017, 09:19:26 AM
Just wanted to add my congratulations to Ros and their fans on here. Also happy for McStay. He got a lot of criticism for the past year. Maybe the hard work at underage is starting to show for Ros now.

PS, Roscommon must be praying for relegation every year now. 2010 and 2017... Well done once again.
They have to follow up with a semi final. No point in losing another quarter final.

Hound

That first goal didn't reflect well on Galway either, you've got to give credit to Murtagh for a brilliant pass and Connolly for the finish but leaving one defender inside our own 45 when playing against the wind is brainless.

I thought that pass from Murtagh was sensational. One of the highlights of the championship to date, and topped off with a lovely finish.

While Enda Smith caught some unbelieveable ball, he turned over an awful lot of it. So still room for improvement.

I thought Kilroy 11 and McManus 3 were huge players for Roscommon. Won a sea of ball around the middle, dominating the breaks and usually used it really well (I know McManus kicked one handy pass straight over the sideline, but otherwise didn't do much wrong).

Although my favourite player of the day was Shane Walsh. Playing on a rubbish team (on the day) he managed to shine like a beacon.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2017, 09:30:52 AM

They have to follow up with a semi final. No point in losing another quarter final.
Yes indeed let's not be copying Galway's history of failures since 2001 ;).
You're right though Seafóid, time to put the Cup away now and get down to preparing for (most likely) the Rhubarbs on the 30th.
While Sunday was glorious we can't just let it be an end in itself but rather the start of a wonderful magical mystery tour for the next few years.
The Minors of 2011/12 who became the U21s of 2014/15 will hopefully be spoken of with awe as the Seniors of 2017- 20??.
Also hopefully the conversation at pub counters from Ballyfarnon to Ballyforan in the 2030s will be which team was better 43/44 or 2017-20??.
Raise up the standard high
Wave banners to the sky
Follow them on through sunshine or rain
Shout with a mighty roar
Let the world know once more
MEN OF ROSCOMMON ARE MARCHING AGAIN!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2017, 11:34:18 AM

You're right though Seafóid, time to put the Cup away now and get down to preparing for (most likely) the Rhubarbs on the 30th.
While Sunday was glorious we can't just let it be an end in itself but rather the start of a wonderful magical mystery tour for the next few years.
The Minors of 2011/12 who became the U21s of 2014/15 will hopefully be spoken of with awe as the Seniors of 2017- 20??.
Also hopefully the conversation at pub counters from Ballyfarnon to Ballyforan in the 2030s will be which team was better 43/44 or 2017-20??.
Wave banners to the sky
Shout with a mighty roar
Rossfan

How funny that you mention 2001.  Very few people outside the county would remember that Ros won the Connacht final. that year.
The Dermot Earley/Murray combo of the late 70s was the last Rossie outfit to make an attempt to capture Sam 
A lot of football is psychological. Ros need the right attitude for the next match.
And they need consistency. Ros never built on 91, 01 or 2010

Rossfan

91 was the swansong of Marty McDermott's team which had been running from 1988.
2001 team had a lot of lads who were sociable sort of chaps and didn't kick on.
Poor manager choices after John Tobin didn't help them either.
2010 was a smash n grab with a limited enough team - who still ran the Rhubarbs to 2 points in 2011.
Hopefully now is the hour......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2017, 12:33:53 PM
91 was the swansong of Marty McDermott's team which had been running from 1988.
2001 team had a lot of lads who were sociable sort of chaps and didn't kick on.
Poor manager choices after John Tobin didn't help them either.
2010 was a smash n grab with a limited enough team - who still ran the Rhubarbs to 2 points in 2011.
Hopefully now is the hour......
It would be class. Shake up the fuball complacency a bit

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2017, 11:52:12 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2017, 11:34:18 AM

Wave banners to the sky
Shout with a mighty roar
Rossfan

How funny that you mention 2001.  Very few people outside the county would remember that Ros won the Connacht final. that year.
The Dermot Earley/Murray combo of the late 70s was the last Rossie outfit to make an attempt to capture Sam 
A lot of football is psychological. Ros need the right attitude for the next match.
And they need consistency. Ros never built on 91, 01 or 2010
Roscommon partied too much in 2001 - everyone knows it.
it was seen as a reward for the 1998-2001 panel
the team was let off the leash too much and weren't ready for a quarter final, especially Galway again and not in Croke Park but in McHale of all places