referee's fitness

Started by prewtna, June 05, 2007, 03:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prewtna

just saw this in the paper

"Their training includes a physical fitness test. Each must complete 3,200 metres(eight laps of the track) in less than 14 minutes. He must also cover a 45-metre dash in less than seven minutes and a 200-metre dash in under 32 minutes. These are conducted annually at four or five different venues and reaching the targets is mandatory."

jayaus with targets like that il never become a referee!

Drumanee 1

3200(2 mile),thats 7min per mile,bloody hell that wil rule out90% of the refs in derry

magpie seanie

I'd manage two of the three comfortably.

Fionntamhnach

I've a little knowledge of this. These tests are done annually in Tyrone. I believe its a 45m dash in seven seconds and a 200m dash in 32 seconds. Its the two-mile run in under 14 minutes that tests most referees.

There are also slightly harder tests laid down for potential referees for Ulster Senior Championship matches, both hurling and football. Many don't pass them but are still included on lists due to shortages.

prewtna

clearly "minutes" is a typo.

but there are some refs in mayo who the typo could apply to! ;D having said that id never be a ref. a dirty job although they do get paid per match. paltry figure like €40 or something. the only ones in the grassroots to be offically receiving anything!

Armagh Cúchulainns

El correcto foinntamhnach,

i referee within Armagh and the test we had to pass was as follows:

For all referees:
6 laps continous running untimed
sprints out to and backwards from endline to 21m and then 45m and finally midfield.

Not too bad by any standards, but in all honesty when even at AI Standard will a referee have to run 3200m without any break in play where some breath can be retained. Although in saying that for most proper referees fitness isnt a problem as most are ex players or in my case, part time players.
Its all about the Hurling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on June 05, 2007, 04:00:23 PM
3200(2 mile),thats 7min per mile,bloody hell that wil rule out90% of the refs in derry
Jesus i can walk 6 miles in an hour . So that's not alot .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fionntamhnach

Armagh Cúchulainns, The tests for referees in Tyrone were held at the athletics track at the Youth Sport Omagh facility, consisting of 8 laps (400m x 8 = 3200). I can check with the sprints though, I'm not so sure about them.

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on June 05, 2007, 04:17:33 PM
El correcto foinntamhnach,

i referee within Armagh and the test we had to pass was as follows:

For all referees:
6 laps continous running untimed
sprints out to and backwards from endline to 21m and then 45m and finally midfield.

Not too bad by any standards, but in all honesty when even at AI Standard will a referee have to run 3200m without any break in play where some breath can be retained. Although in saying that for most proper referees fitness isnt a problem as most are ex players or in my case, part time players.

Does McClatchey do his in a car!! :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Colonel Cool

Lecale2 posted this a few months ago. Apparently it's a copy of the Down refs fitness test!

Re: Referees Course
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 05:01:29 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here a copy of the latest fitness test

Referees fitness test

Whistle blowing. Short sharp blasts and long whistles will both be tested. Additional points awarded for style during this test.

Finger pointing. 4 quick forward jabs of the right index finger. Followed by one 30 second extended up wards point.

Brandishing red and yellow cards. Any referee who cannot tell the difference between red and yellow will fail. Additional points awarded for style.

Fatness test. The referee will be tested wearing an extra large O'Neill's referee's jersey. Points are deducted for any signs of slack in the jersey.

Counting. Referees will be asked to mark a booklet every time the examiner shouts point and add up the total correctly at the end of the exercise. A margin of error of plus or minus 5 is acceptable.

Shaking belly from side to side while pretending to run. This test continues throughout the full 15 minutes of the test.

Eyesight test. This no longer forms part of the referee's fitness test.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Gabriel_Hurl

Club Level Referee

1. 2,300m run - minimum time - 12 mins

2. 45m sprint - minimum time - 7.5 secs

3. 200m sprint - minimum time - 37 secs

4. 20m backwards sprint - mimimum time - 7.5 secs

5. 4 x 13m shuttle run - minimum time - 14 secs

Provincial / National  Level Referee

1. 3,200m run - minimum time - 15 mins 30 secs

3. 200m sprint - minimum time - 35 secs

5. Bleep Test - Level 8

pintsofguinness

gnevin you can walk 6 miles in a hour? what must you be like runnin? are you busy for the olympics?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

prewtna

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 05, 2007, 05:46:17 PM
Club Level Referee

1. 2,300m run - minimum time - 12 mins

3. 200m sprint - minimum time - 37 secs

5. 4 x 13m shuttle run - minimum time - 14 secs

Provincial / National  Level Referee

1. 3,200m run - minimum time - 15 mins 30 secs

3. 200m sprint - minimum time - 35 secs

5. Bleep Test - Level 8
you confusing minimum with maximum? or actually maybe your not! ;D ;D

blast05

QuoteJesus i can walk 6 miles in an hour

Jaysus, impressive stuff. You must be like the 'women' power walking in Killnaskully   :P

oakleafer

QuoteJesus i can walk 6 miles in an hour . So that's not alot .

in your dreams......on that basis you'd walk the marathon quicker than most people run it!!