Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: SamFever on January 12, 2017, 07:56:00 AM
I am fed up reading tripe from Benny Coulter.Bad enough weekly in the Democrat but he now seeems to be in the Irish News a lot saying what Down needs.    Down really needs him to walk away and let the current players at it without his frequent words of wisdom.

I dont think you are being very fair on Benny. He is a passionate Down man who has a platform to air his views and why shouldnt he? As for tripe....dunno about that...his point this week about us having the best fixture set up in the country was a very good one.
The Aristocrat Years

OgraAnDun

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 12, 2017, 11:49:40 AM
Quote from: SamFever on January 12, 2017, 07:56:00 AM
I am fed up reading tripe from Benny Coulter.Bad enough weekly in the Democrat but he now seeems to be in the Irish News a lot saying what Down needs.    Down really needs him to walk away and let the current players at it without his frequent words of wisdom.

I dont think you are being very fair on Benny. He is a passionate Down man who has a platform to air his views and why shouldnt he? As for tripe....dunno about that...his point this week about us having the best fixture set up in the country was a very good one.

Although I don't disagree with allowing a former player a platform, I think that saying we should be expecting an Ulster title this year is pretty ridiculous after not winning a single match in 2016. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Predictor

from the GAELIC LIFE
Kilcoo and Castlewellan must replay LAST YEARS league final

KILCOO and Castlewellan are set to replay last season's controversial league final.

Gaelic Life understands that a meeting took place last night involving GAA officials, Down County Board officials and representatives from the two clubs.

It was decided that the first league meeting between the two teams in 2017 will now double up as the final, with two points also on offer. The match is expected to be played at Pairc Esler with the teams flipping a coin to decide who will have been deemed to have had home advantage for the fixture.

Castlewellan were awarded the title after Kilcoo pulled out of the league final in November, which was scheduled to take place a few days after their Ulster Club meeting with Glenswilly.

It means the unusual situation that Castlewellan will now play a league final under without the manager who got them there – John 'Shorty' Trainor. Mark Doran, part of the coaching team last season, is now over the Town.

Now that is complete stupid i think, what happens if the game ends in a DRAW ??

whitegoodman

Quote from: Predictor on January 13, 2017, 12:54:55 PM
from the GAELIC LIFE
Kilcoo and Castlewellan must replay LAST YEARS league final

KILCOO and Castlewellan are set to replay last season’s controversial league final.

Gaelic Life understands that a meeting took place last night involving GAA officials, Down County Board officials and representatives from the two clubs.

It was decided that the first league meeting between the two teams in 2017 will now double up as the final, with two points also on offer. The match is expected to be played at Pairc Esler with the teams flipping a coin to decide who will have been deemed to have had home advantage for the fixture.

Castlewellan were awarded the title after Kilcoo pulled out of the league final in November, which was scheduled to take place a few days after their Ulster Club meeting with Glenswilly.

It means the unusual situation that Castlewellan will now play a league final under without the manager who got them there – John ‘Shorty’ Trainor. Mark Doran, part of the coaching team last season, is now over the Town.

Now that is complete stupid i think, what happens if the game ends in a DRAW ??

And some people think we have the best fixture setup in the country !

forevergreen

Like all good Neighbours, if its a draw, they'll likely share it, 6 months each :) :) :) :) :)

Either way its tarnished now and the county board have made a balls of it

EagleLord

How do Loughanisland posters feel about this?

Maurice Moss

Quote from: EagleLord on January 14, 2017, 10:08:32 PM
How do Loughanisland posters feel about this?

As a kilcoo supporter I'm feeling great about the decision, however, I can only sympathise with Loughinisland supporters.

Smurfy123

I also believe Ballymartin didn't field for a game and the game went to the other team?
Any information on what the plans are for the big launch on Friday night?Exciting times ahead.Some good videos for promotion of it
Down by 2 today

Ed Hardy

Down team to play Derry;

Michael Cunningham
Ryan McAleenan
Gearard McGovern
Darren O'Hagan
David McKibbin
Conaill McGovern
Caolan Mooney
Aidan Carr
Jonathan Flynn
Shay Millar
Cathal Magee
Joe Murphy
Alan Davidson
Barry O'Hagan
Pat Havern

downjim

If you don't agree with a county board decision, appeal it. The GAA has went mad. Some clubs have no respect for rules!

Maurice Moss

If we or any club feel we have been done an injustice then we or they have every right to appeal a decision. The fact it was overturned shows we had every merit to go down this route.

Some clubs may have no respect for the rules, however, our club fully respects and and abides by the rules. It is hard to show respect to our County Board after some of the abysmal decisions they have made not only to our own club due to the league final debacle, but other clubs such as Liatroim and the treatment of their minors due to the scheduling of the championship final.

What clubs have no respect for the rules as you say?

rosskarr

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 15, 2017, 10:18:12 AM
I also believe Ballymartin didn't field for a game and the game went to the other team?
Any information on what the plans are for the big launch on Friday night?Exciting times ahead.Some good videos for promotion of it
Down by 2 today
Close prediction smurfy.Down won 15-14

Dubh driocht

Bit of a relief to get over the line for Eamon Burns' first win over a county team. Entertaining game in perfect conditions, well refereed and some encouraging Down performances. Cunningham's kick-outs were generally good and great to see him back in a Down shirt. McGoverns, McAleenan, Benny McArdle and particularly our new captain Darren O'Hagan were strong in defence. Two honest midfielders in Mr Reliable Pete Turley and Johnny Flynn. Joe Murphy and the twin strike force of Barry O'Hagan and Davidson were excellent- although the latter (0-9- 0-7 from frees including 4 from 45m or more!) got MoM , I thought Conor Maginn was outstanding. Some nice scores- especially Barry's first two and Mooney's late strike - got us the points but the best addition to the squad is the presence of Cathal Murray. Mark Lynch has some pair of togs.

whitegoodman

Just goes to show what different people think.  I thought Maginn was one of the worst players on the pitch.  Needed a ball of his own and gave the ball away numerous times.  Thought the half forward line in general were quite poor.  Darren O Hagan was in a league of his own for Down IMO.

Murray is an interesting addition though, might add a bit of fire in their bellies but never seen him as a tactical genius.

Smurfy123

Decent win for Down today.Good performances from o hagen Davidson mcaleenan mcardle  but our new capt Darren o H was outstanding.He was everywhere.Driving our team forward from half back.Agree with whitegoodman maginn was our worst player today going by his high standards.Kicked easy ball straight into the Derry sweeper 4 times and didbt pick up many break balls.When Jerome J J J and Donal O H come back which of the inside forwards do we drop?Davidson was good with frees today.Good solid win is that is qualified?