David McWilliams on hurling's invasion of middle class Dublin

Started by Bord na Mona man, March 24, 2017, 02:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

I actually think Dubs are ruining a lot of GAA clubs outside the capital
They take everything for granted - so little involvement in the club. Buy a ticket? you kidding me!
Kids come and go with little commitment. Parents will very quickly tell you what you are doing wrong, where their little johnny should be playing when it is YOU who is turning up every week to coach the kids and giving every chance to all children.
They would bring the kids to soccer over the GAA - what good will it do the kids when all the soccer club wants to do is unearth the next talented kid who will be sold onto a premier league team?
heard of a soccer club in a rural town who started out with 50 young lads at 10 years of age, have them whittled down to the best 22 lads by 12 to play in a regional leinster league.
then they bring the kids to a Dublin GAA game in the summer once the bandwagon gets up and running

Avondhu star

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 27, 2017, 09:21:18 PM
I actually think Dubs are ruining a lot of GAA clubs outside the capital
They take everything for granted - so little involvement in the club. Buy a ticket? you kidding me!
Kids come and go with little commitment. Parents will very quickly tell you what you are doing wrong, where their little johnny should be playing when it is YOU who is turning up every week to coach the kids and giving every chance to all children.
They would bring the kids to soccer over the GAA - what good will it do the kids when all the soccer club wants to do is unearth the next talented kid who will be sold onto a premier league team?
heard of a soccer club in a rural town who started out with 50 young lads at 10 years of age, have them whittled down to the best 22 lads by 12 to play in a regional leinster league.
then they bring the kids to a Dublin GAA game in the summer once the bandwagon gets up and running
Certainly in Dublin there is terrible behaviour in the soccer clubs as the kids enter the teenage years. Young lads with a bit of skill are poached away with promises of trials across the water and the parents are equally to blame.
As regards GAA the big difference I see between city and country is that in the city the majrity of the parents will only support the team their kid is involved in. The club could be playing a county final with another team and they wouldnt go.
In the country if the club is in a county final hhalfthe parish will turn up.
In the city also the clubs nursery ( football first and then hurling i.e. 2 hours) on a Saturday is used as a baby sitting service while Mummy and Father can feck off for Lattes and the Irish Times .
There are of always a solid bunch of volunteers but it sickens me to see the Four by Four pull up, kids hop out in their gear and the car drives off.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

AZOffaly

There's a lot of that nursery stuff in rural clubs too.