The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

OK, I'll come at it a different way. When you ask nearly anyone in Ireland where they come from, one of the first things that you relate to that place is the GAA club/county. There is a sense of identity associated with the local GAA club, that just isn't there for other sports.  Is that sufficiently secular? :)

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 18, 2015, 11:34:59 AM
OK, I'll come at it a different way. When you ask nearly anyone in Ireland where they come from, one of the first things that you relate to that place is the GAA club/county. There is a sense of identity associated with the local GAA club, that just isn't there for other sports.  Is that sufficiently secular? :)

I think that might be true of some parts of rural Ireland, but not generally.  For a man that works in Limerick, I thought you might have some concept of this ...  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I think of it the opposite way around. Generally its true apart from some parts of big Irish cities. And believe me that applies in Limerick too. Munster is Munster but a lad will tell you he's from Patrickswell or Scarrif or Tipp town before he'd say Munster, and the identification in most (not all obviously) will be with Limerick, Clare or Tipp GAA and the local club.

I don't see this as a slight on soccer or rugby by the way, its just a characteristic of the gaa which is reinforced by the old parish rules etc

mouview

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 18, 2015, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 18, 2015, 11:23:00 AM
GAA is more associated with Parish though, I think you know what he means. Not sure what it has to do with Chelsea though :)

A 'parish' is an artificial religious construct with no place in the modern world - I have no idea what he means.  :P

Ridiculous. Townlands merge into parishes, merge into counties, merge into a country. All of these very often bounded by geographical / natural constraints also. Nothing artificial about that and they can and do survive now as distinct entities regardless of the presence or absence of religion.

Letters merge into words, merge into sentences, merge into paragraphs, compositions etc. Letters = parishes = essential components.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 18, 2015, 12:04:52 PM
I think of it the opposite way around. Generally its true apart from some parts of big Irish cities. And believe me that applies in Limerick too. Munster is Munster but a lad will tell you he's from Patrickswell or Scarrif or Tipp town before he'd say Munster, and the identification in most (not all obviously) will be with Limerick, Clare or Tipp GAA and the local club.

I don't see this as a slight on soccer or rugby by the way, its just a characteristic of the gaa which is reinforced by the old parish rules etc

Maybe I don't get out enough, but that's definitely not my experience. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Jose Mourinho is from the Portuguese equivalent of Tyrone/Dublin (delete according to preference).

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 18, 2015, 12:18:40 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 18, 2015, 12:04:52 PM

Maybe I don't get out enough, but that's definitely not my experience.

You get out alright :) Maybe I'm just projecting my own associations on everyone else, but I don't think so. Dublin is probably different alright, and it's more about the 'club' than the 'parish'. There's not as much of 'those hoors in Bally'.

But down the country, I think I'm pretty close to the mark.

seafoid

I think soccer fans are patronised by the clubs. Dunphy's soccer belongs to the fans would be more of the same. There are issues of identity and belonging associated with being a fan but it seems to me to be mostly one way. For plc football clubs fans are cash cows. Maybe all pro sport is like this.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Dr Carneiro 1 Chelsea 0

At least Chelsea apologised, that other pr*ck showing his usual class and not apologizing.
#newbridgeornowhere

MasterShake

Hi folks, anyone here any idea how to go about getting a ticket for the Chelsea-Arsenal match on 4th Feb? Asking for a mate of mine (Chelsea fan) travelling from the States.

Cheers.
"Calmer than you are".

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: MasterShake on January 19, 2017, 04:26:12 PM
Hi folks, anyone here any idea how to go about getting a ticket for the Chelsea-Arsenal match on 4th Feb? Asking for a mate of mine (Chelsea fan) travelling from the States.

Cheers.

I can keep an eye out for you.

I am actually heading to that game too. I didnt think.Id get a ticket but managed to scrounge, steal and borrow 5. Group of us heading over.

Send me a PM with your contact details so I can get a message to you quick if something comes up.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fuzzman

Was gonna bring my oldest lad over to a game in Stamford bridge in the next month if possible.
Would it be very hard to get a ticket outside the ground for 2?

Any of ye season ticket holders?