Time to move on? PSNI involved in Road Safety Campaign shocker

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, April 28, 2012, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/gaa-event-cancelled-over-psni-involvement-16150873.html

A GAA road safety event had to be cancelled when members objected to the involvement of the police.

The 'Live to Play' event in Co Tyrone was called off when some host club members threatened to hold a picket when the PSNI was due to take part in the Ulster Council Scheme.

The scheme was set up following the deaths of a number of road deaths involving GAA members and aims to encourage young players to drive safely.

The road safety drive involves the Fire and Rescue Service and the PSNI and was to take place at the grounds of the Derrydresk GAC near Coalisland on Monday.

The decision to cancel the event comes amid a unprecedented period of close links between the GAA and the police.

The former arch enemies came together publicly last year for the funeral of murdered PSNI officer Ronan Kerr, a member of the Beragh Red Knights.

His coffin had been carried through his home town by a joint cortege of GAA and PSNI members.

A senior GAA officer, Ryan Feeney, is now also an independent member of the Policing Board after being appointed last May.

Derrytresk chairman Barney Campbell confirmed some local people were opposed to the police's involvement at the event.

"As it turned out, the PSNI were coming to it and we were never informed about that and there were a few people in the club not very happy about that we just called it off," he told the Irish News.

Tyrone county board spokesman Damien Harvey said the GAA's decision should be respected: "At the end of the day it's not something Tyrone GAA are forcing on clubs and if clubs take it on then that's good and if they decide it's not for them we have to respect that decision.

"We don't want it make into a political issue," added Mr Harvey.

A spokesman for the Ulster Council said it organises road safety events "in partnership with the NI Fire service, An Garda Siochana, the PSNI and the relevent county committee".

"The club in question request to host a Live to Play education event but have cancelled and are reviewing arrangements."

/Jim.

Maguire01

Sad state of affairs. They should have went ahead with it and let them have their picket.

And the Belfast Telegraph's "former arch enemies" comment is pathetic.

oisinog

Derrydresk could have done with the good publicity after their riot a few months ago.

This campaign is about saving lives I would not care if the British army was running it.

If it saves one persons life it is well worth the effort and funds  The ulster Council and the PSNI have contributed towards this

Ulick

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 28, 2012, 11:11:10 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/gaa-event-cancelled-over-psni-involvement-16150873.html

A GAA road safety event had to be cancelled when members objected to the involvement of the police.

The 'Live to Play' event in Co Tyrone was called off when some host club members threatened to hold a picket when the PSNI was due to take part in the Ulster Council Scheme.

The scheme was set up following the deaths of a number of road deaths involving GAA members and aims to encourage young players to drive safely.

The road safety drive involves the Fire and Rescue Service and the PSNI and was to take place at the grounds of the Derrydresk GAC near Coalisland on Monday.

The decision to cancel the event comes amid a unprecedented period of close links between the GAA and the police.

The former arch enemies came together publicly last year for the funeral of murdered PSNI officer Ronan Kerr, a member of the Beragh Red Knights.

His coffin had been carried through his home town by a joint cortege of GAA and PSNI members.

A senior GAA officer, Ryan Feeney, is now also an independent member of the Policing Board after being appointed last May.

Derrytresk chairman Barney Campbell confirmed some local people were opposed to the police's involvement at the event.

"As it turned out, the PSNI were coming to it and we were never informed about that and there were a few people in the club not very happy about that we just called it off," he told the Irish News.

Tyrone county board spokesman Damien Harvey said the GAA's decision should be respected: "At the end of the day it's not something Tyrone GAA are forcing on clubs and if clubs take it on then that's good and if they decide it's not for them we have to respect that decision.

"We don't want it make into a political issue," added Mr Harvey.

A spokesman for the Ulster Council said it organises road safety events "in partnership with the NI Fire service, An Garda Siochana, the PSNI and the relevent county committee".

"The club in question request to host a Live to Play education event but have cancelled and are reviewing arrangements."

/Jim.

The Tele now reduced to reporting on the Irish News.  ;D

orangeman

If someone in Derrytresk gets their house burgled,car stolen etc, who do they contact to sort it out ?. The PSNI of course.

But it doesn't mean that people still accept them. Old habits die hard and the memories are maybe just that longer and the people that bit less forgiving ( some of them, not all of them of course as coud be said for most places ) around the Hill, having perhaps suffered more than most. Completely innocent lads were still getting jip from the PSNI even recently.

So some people have moved on - some others have not and it will just take a bit more time and a bit more of the choreography that is the "peace process" to fall into place. But I'm sure those in government have planned for this eventuality and will make the Derrytresk club look like dinosaurs. It's already happening even now.

One could be forgiven for thinking that the GAA who are supposed to be a non political organisation are being used ( knowingly or unknowingly ) as a vehicle to create a sense of normality where both sides in Northern Ireland are being forged together united against the violent men of the past. Apparently it's called politics.

AQMP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17873678

The Armagh All-Ireland winning footballer Oisin McConville said the Live to Play events were a "great initiative" but the involvment of the police was still a "very, very sensitive issue".  He told BBC Radio Ulster that the club authorities had probably taken the decision in order to avoid any confrontation.  Mr McConville said the last thing Derrytresk needed was more controversy.

Oisin gets it about right.

Maguire01

Quote from: AQMP on April 28, 2012, 02:26:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17873678

The Armagh All-Ireland winning footballer Oisin McConville said the Live to Play events were a "great initiative" but the involvment of the police was still a "very, very sensitive issue".  He told BBC Radio Ulster that the club authorities had probably taken the decision in order to avoid any confrontation. Mr McConville said the last thing Derrytresk needed was more controversy. 

Oisin gets it about right.
Well that strategy has worked a treat.

Nally Stand

Involvement of the police, whether some like it or not, is still a very raw issue. A lot rawer than many people living outside rural republican areas realise. I'd imagine a this scheme won't run at a lot of Tyrone clubs for the same reasons. I know I would be far from comfortable with it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 28, 2012, 06:22:24 PM
Involvement of the police, whether some like it or not, is still a very raw issue. A lot rawer than many people living outside rural republican areas realise. I'd imagine a this scheme won't run at a lot of Tyrone clubs for the same reasons. I know I would be far from comfortable with it.
I find it depressing that some people think making a stand against the police is more important than trying to tackle death on our roads.

Nally Stand

Nothing the fire brigade couldn't manage by themselves where there are sensitivities around involvement of the police. Understandably, a lot of people, myself included, are still uncomfortable with them. No amount of passing judgement on such people for being uncomfortable will change that.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteUnderstandably, a lot of people, myself included, are still uncomfortable with them. No amount of passing judgement on such people for being uncomfortable will change that.

The issue is not your being uncomfortable, that is your right. But the question is whether people should prevent a road safety event largely directed at children born after the GFA going ahead. I think that given the progression of events of recent years, it should be possible to simply not go to such an event rather than trying to stop others going to it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 28, 2012, 07:40:35 PM
Nothing the fire brigade couldn't manage by themselves where there are sensitivities around involvement of the police. Understandably, a lot of people, myself included, are still uncomfortable with them. No amount of passing judgement on such people for being uncomfortable will change that.
Then maybe you should just be uncomfortable and get on with it. Look at the bigger picture. Moves like this help legitimise the dissident position, dissuade young nationalists from joining the PSNI, make the GAA look as progressive as the OO... who benefits?

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on April 28, 2012, 09:30:16 PM
QuoteUnderstandably, a lot of people, myself included, are still uncomfortable with them. No amount of passing judgement on such people for being uncomfortable will change that.

The issue is not your being uncomfortable, that is your right. But the question is whether people should prevent a road safety event largely directed at children born after the GFA going ahead. I think that given the progression of events of recent years, it should be possible to simply not go to such an event rather than trying to stop others going to it.

Nobody stopped it. The club decided it didn't want a protest. People have the right to protest.

Nally Stand

ErIng
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 28, 2012, 09:46:37 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 28, 2012, 07:40:35 PM
Then maybe you should just be uncomfortable and get on with it. Look at the bigger picture. Moves like this help legitimise the dissident position, dissuade young nationalists from joining the PSNI, make the GAA look as progressive as the OO... who benefits?

Legitimise dissidents?? It's possible to be uncomfortable with the PSNI and not be legitimisimg dissident activity you know. Claiming otherwise is one step away from blindly slapping the label of "dissident" on every person who still, understandably, feels uneasy with the police. Things are still raw.

ONeill

Only seeing this thread now.

First of all - this event was set up by Derrylaughan GFC. They decided that they couldn't possibly have it at their end of the parish (rather conveniently) and asked the Hill could they use their facilities.

Secondly, Derrytresk patrons experienced some unsavoury behaviour by the PSNI on the night of the AI final. Feelings are still a bit raw.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.