FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

anybody that can get them to string 2 passes together.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2018, 10:46:04 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 21, 2018, 10:28:26 AM
O'Neill and Keane are gone  :-[

If the problem is the system it won't make any difference.
The FAI missed the boat on the development of young players and this is now a problem at senior level
It is not easy to fix. Mick O'Dowd said the Meath manager after the next one might start winning. Maybe it's like that. 

Losing attitudes are insidious. You have to drop people even if they have loads of experience when they have no belief. You have to build it in young players.
Ireland are disorganised and will be playing teams who aren't. It takes time for young lads to build experience. Kilkenny are learning that now.
Fan expectations are not realistic.

Look at how well the rugby team is doing but that took years to get right. 

If you look at Dunphy analysing the manager after the honeymoon period in videos going back to Staunton there is a constant theme.
I don't think it's been about the manager for the last 14 years.

It certainly is about the manager. Look, you cannot get a job as a professional soccer player in the premier league with out having a minimum technical capability. We still have a fair proportion of players who are playing in that league (7 played against Denmark). Why then are they so absmal that they cannot fashion a shot on target? Even if you assume that Denmark are much better which is fair enough, N Ireland do not have better players yet we didnt even threaten their goal. Our style of play is just totally one dimensional.

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on November 21, 2018, 11:25:24 AM
Is there anything to be said for Neil Lennon?  ;)

Our only hope now, is another Mass ;)

BennyCake

If Big Mick has any sense, he wouldn't go near it with a big extra long barge pole...with an extension on the end.

There's nothing there to work with. The poorest squad I've seen in a long time.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: BennyCake on November 21, 2018, 11:54:04 AM
If Big Mick has any sense, he wouldn't go near it with a big extra long barge pole...with an extension on the end.

There's nothing there to work with. The poorest squad I've seen in a long time.

Its a dreadful squad; There's no top player in the squad, lack of any real quality and the majority of those who are playing in the Premier League might not be doing so next year if their current club was relegated.

There's very few genuine Premier League players in the squad.

Denn Forever

Says it all when your goalkeeper gets Man of then match.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trailer

O'Neill & Keane must be being lined up a job across the water. What they did with that team is nothing short of remarkable. They have consistently over achieved. Huge loss to Irish Soccer. It's quite possible they will turn up at a top Premier League club.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on November 21, 2018, 11:48:33 AM

The FAI missed the boat on the development of young players and this is now a problem at senior level
It is not easy to fix. Mick O'Dowd said the Meath manager after the next one might start winning. Maybe it's like that. 

Losing attitudes are insidious. You have to drop people even if they have loads of experience when they have no belief. You have to build it in young players.
Ireland are disorganised and will be playing teams who aren't. It takes time for young lads to build experience. Kilkenny are learning that now.

If you look at Dunphy analysing the manager after the honeymoon period in videos going back to Staunton there is a constant theme.

It certainly is about the manager. Look, you cannot get a job as a professional soccer player in the premier league with out having a minimum technical capability. We still have a fair proportion of players who are playing in that league (7 played against Denmark). Why then are they so absmal that they cannot fashion a shot on target? Even if you assume that Denmark are much better which is fair enough, N Ireland do not have better players yet we didnt even threaten their goal. Our style of play is just totally one dimensional.

But you are from Cavan, aren't you? So you know about systemic problems
I say this as a galway hurling fan. Psychological issues can be huge . When players don't stand up to be counted and aren't making progress there is a serious problem.

I don't think this will make much difference.
I think we are way behind other soccer countries
Also the FAI is part of the problem.

Saw we are 26th in Europe at the moment based on the NL
Where would expect a new manager to get to after 2 years ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on November 21, 2018, 12:18:32 PM
O'Neill & Keane must be being lined up a job across the water. What they did with that team is nothing short of remarkable. They have consistently over achieved. Huge loss to Irish Soccer. It's quite possible they will turn up at a top Premier League club.

You think O Neill and Keane will get a top job in the UK after this year, no chance. TV pundits is what they will be now.

Billys Boots

I have an issue with the sentence in BOLD, it is simply not true.  Our underage teams are doing well, even more so since the implementation of the player development plan (PDP).  Last week, our u18s in an invitational tournament in Spain beat both Belgium and Holland, and lost unluckily to England after leading for most of the match.  The issue is that there's no connect (in the lifetime of O'Neill & Keane) between the underage structures and the senior 'structure', though I understand that there has been an appointment made in the last few weeks whose purpose is to introduce the appropriate players from the underage system into the senior system.  That has to be a positive development. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 21, 2018, 10:42:11 AM
I'm sure Mick McCarthy will have the cv ready.

The FAI tried the local man before in more recent times. Not sure if Kenny, great manager and all that he is, could manage lads with notions.

Brian Kerr has the best record of any permanent Irish manager ... easily.  As you say, the issue appears to have been with the primadonnas on the squad.  I'm a fan of Kenny, but I don't know if he would want the job yet. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 21, 2018, 01:07:32 PM

I have an issue with the sentence in BOLD, it is simply not true.  Our underage teams are doing well, even more so since the implementation of the player development plan (PDP).  Last week, our u18s in an invitational tournament in Spain beat both Belgium and Holland, and lost unluckily to England after leading for most of the match.  The issue is that there's no connect (in the lifetime of O'Neill & Keane) between the underage structures and the senior 'structure', though I understand that there has been an appointment made in the last few weeks whose purpose is to introduce the appropriate players from the underage system into the senior system.  That has to be a positive development.

I guess we always relied on the English club system for that "transfer" to senior football (or to grab a few already there via the granny rule).

The internationalization of the Premier League seems to have adversely impacted all the "Home nations" in that respect.

/Jim.

themac_23

Id actually like to see Gordon Strachan in, done pretty well with a limited Scotland squad, failed to get them over the line then got hounded, 2 games after he was gone the Scotland fans were nearly falling over themselves admitting they made a mistake. Strachan is very good at getting results, i look at the celtic team he got to the last 16 of the champions league, good keeper strong but limited CB pairing and players with a lot of work rate. i think he'd do a good job

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 21, 2018, 01:14:42 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 21, 2018, 01:07:32 PM

I guess we always relied on the English club system for that "transfer" to senior football (or to grab a few already there via the granny rule).

The internationalization of the Premier League seems to have adversely impacted all the "Home nations" in that respect.

/Jim.

Couldn't agree more Jim Murphy, Ireland and England have suffered through young players not getting to play premiership. Getting rid of MON and Roy isn't going to change anything.
6 months from now the Irish Media and that poisoned dwarf dunphy will be berating MON's replacement
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Well thats it solved, get the managers out and then the results will change... So who will get the blame when the results stay the same? The FAI no doubt as they will have appointed said person, the problem is not the managers and their sidekicks, the problem is a shit squad of players..

Now there are managers who, with a limited squad did actually make teams perform above their station and believe it or not, MON was one of those managers.. Big Sam lined up  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea