New Jerseys?

Started by Farrandeelin, September 22, 2007, 07:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I saw on the Star today that the GAA are going to have numbers on front and back of intercounty jerseys, starting in January. I assume all the jerseys will take on a new format so?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

What on under Jesus will they think of next ?

HowdyDoody

Jerseys to be numbered from 2008
by Brian Murphy, 22 September 2007

Inter-county jerseys will have numbers printed on both the front and the back from next season.

The move could herald the end of referees having to ask players to turn around to show their number's after thay are booked.

The new rule will be enforced from the satrt of next season, but only inter-county teams will have to adhere from the start of next season.

The issue was discussed at Congress in April but the GAA decided not to implement the rule until 2008 as most team jerseys had already been designed.

taken from Setanta.com

Gnevin

Quote from: HowdyDoody on September 22, 2007, 09:20:25 PM
by Brian Murphy, 22 September 2007

Inter-county jerseys will have numbers printed on both the front and the back from next season.

The move could herald the end of referees having to ask players to turn around to show their number's after thay are booked.

The new rule will be enforced from the satrt of next season, but only inter-county teams will have to adhere from the start of next season.

The issue was discussed at Congress in April but the GAA decided not to implement the rule until 2008 as most team jerseys had already been designed.

taken from Setanta.com
Because having to turn around took up some much time  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe move could herald the end of referees having to ask players to turn around to show their number's after thay are booked.
Could  ???   ::)

But I'm glad they sorted out that problem anyway!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Doire abú

As long as they don't look as horrible as the QUB Sigerson jerseys which has numbers on the front this year.

SidelineKick

Quote from: HowdyDoody on September 22, 2007, 09:20:25 PM

theyd be better numberin them from 1  :D
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

carnaross

Here we go again!! Not only are the paying public fleeced by the GAA through exorbitant entrance fees, now the clubs will have to (eventually) replace all their kits. Where do they think the money is going to come from? Many clubs are struggling financially as it is.

I've got it!! The GAA will pay for them?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

bailestil

Quote from: Doire abú on September 22, 2007, 10:42:02 PM
As long as they don't look as horrible as the QUB Sigerson jerseys which has numbers on the front this year.

It didn't stop the referee causing a scene when asking a "talkative" QUB player to turn around for his number in the Sigerson Final. The QUB Player informed him his number was on his chest, but then 2-3 minutes of comedy ensued as the ref tried to get the player to turn around. With him just holding his number on his chest out to the ref!

Hardy

I think it's a good idea from the spectator's point of view and can only help officials as well. I can't see that it will add great expense for clubs. I can't imagine they'll be forced to dump their good gear - I'd expect the ruling to apply to any new gear purchased.

Maguire01

Surely clubs could just add numbers to the existing jerseys?  It's not rocket science - it would hardly cost a fortune! Some people just love a good moan!

Just out of interest, would the numbers be small, or as big as those on the back and where would they sit in relation to the sponsors logo?

Gabriel_Hurl

I'd say they would be small - like so

tayto

Good idea in my opinion, especially for hurling when you're watching a team you're not familair with and they're all helmeted.

Good to see some people cribbing about it already!  ::)

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: tayto on September 24, 2007, 05:55:36 PM

We're Irish - cribbing about stuff is what we do best

Gnevin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 24, 2007, 06:19:43 PM
Quote from: tayto on September 24, 2007, 05:55:36 PM

We're Irish - cribbing about stuff is what we do best
cribbing is Ulster (Scots) for moaning ? :P
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.