Hayes' Hotel in Thurles has been sold.

Started by AZOffaly, September 17, 2014, 10:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Just in case people weren't aware, the birthplace of our Association was sold at auction yesterday for 650k. There's been a lot of worry about what would happen if it was bought by someone with no concept of it's place in our history, and many people were calling for the GAA to buy it, and restore it or use it as a some sort of museum.

It looks like that won't be needed, as a lad from Fethard, in county Tipp, has bought it, and is intending on keeping it going as a renovated hotel, which is good news.

QuoteFethard man has big plans for landmark Liberty Square building.

title
Jack Halley from Fethard purchased the birthplace of the GAA at the Allsop Space Auction in Dublin yesterday for €650,000, 150 thousand above the reserve price.

Halley, who's in his late 20's, has been living in London for several years working in the hospitality sector.

Speaking exclusively to Tipp FM, the son of well known Fethard-based veterinary surgeon John Halley said he plans to bring the iconic building back to its former glory.

Tipperary Independent TD Michael Lowry has welcomed the purchase of the hotel by Jack Halley describing him as young and energetic while locals in Thurles are happy that the hotel has been bought.

Milltown Row2

Yeah read this yesterday, great place to be on Munster final day in Thurles, we managed a pint in it last year also so good to see it's not being lost
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

five points

It is a kip and it was a kip twenty years ago. It should be flattened to the ground.

Kidder81

I remember Lar Corbett saying he wanted to buy it

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2014, 10:51:31 AM
Just in case people weren't aware, the birthplace of our Association was sold at auction yesterday for 650k. There's been a lot of worry about what would happen if it was bought by someone with no concept of it's place in our history, and many people were calling for the GAA to buy it, and restore it or use it as a some sort of museum.

It looks like that won't be needed, as a lad from Fethard, in county Tipp, has bought it, and is intending on keeping it going as a renovated hotel, which is good news.

title
Jack Halley from Fethard purchased the birthplace of the GAA at the Allsop Space Auction in Dublin yesterday for €650,000, 150 thousand above the reserve price.

Halley, who's in his late 20's, has been living in London for several years working in the hospitality sector.

Speaking exclusively to Tipp FM, the son of well known Fethard-based veterinary surgeon John Halley said he plans to bring the iconic building back to its former glory.

Tipperary Independent TD Michael Lowry has welcomed the purchase of the hotel by Jack Halley describing him as young and energetic while locals in Thurles are happy that the hotel has been bought.

Was Lowry not looking to set up some sort of 'Las Vegas' type resort somewhere in Tipp a few years back?

Maybe there'll be a bit of lap dancing and what not in the new Hayes Hotel!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2014, 01:47:11 PM

title

Was Lowry not looking to set up some sort of 'Las Vegas' type resort somewhere in Tipp a few years back?

Yeah, I think Lowry and some lad that owns the 'good time emporiums' or whatever they are called, the slot machines and things, were looking to build a big Vegas style resort in Two Mile Borris, near Horse and Jockey. I don't think they mentioned strip clubs and hookers though..

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2014, 02:01:52 PM

title

Yeah, I think Lowry and some lad that owns the 'good time emporiums' or whatever they are called, the slot machines and things, were looking to build a big Vegas style resort in Two Mile Borris, near Horse and Jockey. I don't think they mentioned strip clubs and hookers though..
hooking means something else in thurles
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2014, 03:07:28 PM

title

Aye only in daylight hours, then at night it takes on a whole new meaning...

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2014, 04:00:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2014, 03:07:28 PM

title

Aye only in daylight hours, then at night it takes on a whole new meaning...

That would be "Who king?"

The answer sadly is "Lowry".
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: five points on September 17, 2014, 01:01:51 PM
It is a kip and it was a kip twenty years ago. It should be flattened to the ground.

Most good pubs are kips ffs!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Quote from: five points on September 17, 2014, 01:01:51 PM

Love this! f**k sentimentality  :D

AZOffaly

Not exactly sentimentality, like keeping an old pair of lucky jocks or something. It's an important part of the GAAs history, pre 2002.

haranguerer

I was just commmenting on the comment, not the hotel, I found it amusing, akin to that famous gaa story that ends (along the lines of) 'thanks father....but thats the sort of sh**e that sickens my hole...'

AZOffaly

Quote from: haranguerer on September 18, 2014, 11:47:59 AM
I was just commmenting on the comment, not the hotel, I found it amusing, akin to that famous gaa story that ends (along the lines of) 'thanks father....but thats the sort of sh**e that sickens my hole...'

Ah right, I get you.