trileacman

Quote from: Zulu on June 01, 2018, 07:32:54 PM
Quote from: trileacman on June 01, 2018, 07:28:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2018, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: trileacman on June 01, 2018, 01:51:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2018, 12:06:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 31, 2018, 10:49:44 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on May 31, 2018, 09:41:40 PM
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/05/31/news/gavin-devlin-fires-back-at-sean-cavanagh-s-tyrone-criticisms-1343395/

QuoteThe 2003 All-Ireland winner said he never had any problem discussing team matters with Harte during his playing days with Tyrone.

"If I had been captain, I have no doubt that I could have met Mickey and said: 'Mickey, I think this is what we should do,' or 'What about trying this?'

"I wouldn't sit and keep my mouth shut. I've had a number of conversations with Sean and he never mentioned anything about styles of play or what we should and shouldn't do. If he thought something wasn't right, as captain, why didn't he come and have a conversation with us rather than saying it in an RTE studio?

"That's my opinion on it... The captains we've had in the past, I've no doubt would have come to Mickey and had their say.

"We've been very, very close in recent years and we didn't get over the line to win an All-Ireland. Maybe that's what was missing, that calibre of captaincy."

Getting nasty now - puts Colm Cavanagh in an awkward position.

Tyrone were a long way off Sam standard in recent years.
And nobody criticises Mickey. He has been playing the same system for a long time.  Would be similar to Wenger. Managing a slow decline .

Nobody ever criticised Franco either.  They just changed everything after he left the stage 
In order to win all Irelands you have to get the players operating out of their skins . Tyrone don't get to that level.

Maybe Mickey thinks the players are not up to it so they have to be kept on a lead. Like the Irish soccer team.

It's harsh to say Harte has been playing the same system for a long time. The 3 All Ireland wins were won in 3 different styles and he has shown to be able to adapt to various strategies in his early career. In 03 it was a rather pragmatic, smothering game plan without much flair. The 05 was a more open, traditional strategy and in 08 they played a tactic freeing players to leave their positions, so you'd the beginnings of corner backs roaming up to score points and half-forwards/corner forwards dropping back into defence. Even within those years established players played in different roles, Sean cav, Ricey all played in diefferent positions in those all Ireland championship run.

For '08 till about '12 or '13 we played the same sort of strategy but it wasn't as previously successful as our team aged and others surpassed us tactically. Donegal's dominance really fucked Harte up and he'd no answer for McGuiness who tactically out smarted him  time and again. They're the real paradigm off which we are based for the last 4 years and to be fair to Harte it was more successful than the previous 4 years. In that regard it's not surprising he stuck with it as it returned us to winning trophies if, it must be said, in a rather uninspiring style.
Of course he had a different system with the all Ireland teams. Over the last 4 or 5 years he has stuck to the same style. It usually happens when a team doesn't have the players. Tyrone don't have good enough forwards to kick on but the manager has to keep the show on the road.

Over the last 5 years Dublin have had the same style. Donegal had the same style from Mc Guinness started until Gallagher left.

Another complete bullshit fallacy is that teams don't have the forwards so they play defensively. You play defensive football coz your defenders are shite and you're trying to cover for them. After Jordan, Gormley and Ricey retired we'd imitations of defenders and so became  defensive to cover their failings. We've had plenty of good forwards this past 5 years but they've fallen out of the game because they haven't been getting the support to play their game.

Dublin have played the same style as Tyrone over the past 5 years?

No Dublin's own style has changed little. I was challenging his assertion that sticking to one system of play is indicative of not having the players.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rrhf

There's a huge love in here and it's strange to see. Everybody longing for the era when anything with a Meath jumper on was a proper bastid.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 01, 2018, 09:21:02 PM
It might be true, but would a REAL Tyrone person post that on Here.
You might think it but if you were from another county with an agenda to influence feelings towards Harte then that post makes sense now

STG is from Fermanagh ! Just on here stirring

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on June 02, 2018, 09:26:51 AM
There's a huge love in here and it's strange to see. Everybody longing for the era when anything with a Meath jumper on was a proper bastid.
I miss the days when Tyrone put Kerry back in their box.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on June 01, 2018, 10:00:42 PM
Meath still put the fear in me. Even though we've probably turned them over more than they've managed that to us, when they do it rumbles on. On the plus side, it leads to an All-Ireland soon enough.

Losing to Meath is the only way you will lift the curse... that I put on you.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on June 02, 2018, 12:32:39 PM
Meath still put the fear in me. Even though we've probably turned them over more than they've managed that to us, when they do it rumbles on. On the plus side, it leads to an All-Ireland soon enough.

I'd rather keep the curse and hammer ye.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Fuzzman

We certainly have enough forwards out injured to weaken us enough to be worried about Meath.
Did I read yesterday that Skeet might be out too.
It would feel really weird being out of it in early June.

Jinxy

Quote from: trileacman on June 02, 2018, 02:12:03 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 02, 2018, 12:32:39 PM

I'd rather keep the curse and hammer ye.

Don't make me double the curse.

yellowcard

First time out in the qualifiers any side is vulnerable and Tyrone are no different especially in light of the Cavanagh media comments which are bound to create a bit of discontent in the Tyrone dressing room. Away from home Tyrone are vulnerable here if Meath can stay with them until half time. If the game is tight entering the last 10 minutes Tyrone will be under serious pressure.

I seem to remember Louth getting a draw in similar circumstances against a far superior Tyrone side about 10-12 years ago. I presume this game is on tv, it looks like the pick of the qualifiers.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Hey lads, less of the cursing the afflicted  :P

If Meath win this one, 'tis more than a drawing board's required ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Baile an tuaigh

Darren heading to Chicago.

Would Garret Devlin be a good man to bring in? Seriously good player.

Fuzzman

Yeah game on sky.
What's a good pub to meet in before the game?

Esmarelda

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 03, 2018, 08:42:15 AM
Yeah game on sky.
Is it? They have two hurling games listed for next Saturday but no mention of this game.

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 03, 2018, 08:42:15 AM
Yeah game on sky.

I don't really know any good pubs in Tyrone.

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!