Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I have a few pages left to read on A Belfast Child by John Chambers.  I haven't been able to put it down.  So easily read and yet gripping.  I'm sure many from up North would empathise with his story or at least aspects of it anyway.

charlieTully

Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2021, 10:09:09 AM
Tried to read Jack Kerouac's On The Road. Just couldn't get into it, and gave up after a few dozen pages.

Have I missed anything?

No.

Billys Boots

Quote from: charlieTully on April 21, 2021, 12:54:12 PM
Tried to read Jack Kerouac's On The Road. Just couldn't get into it, and gave up after a few dozen pages.

Have I missed anything?

No.

I liked it, though it was definitely of its time. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bennydorano

It's now officially my reading season, have bought 2 books recently, the Sally Rooney one and Richard Osman's follow up book :D Not that hi brow these days.

Obama's book is never getting finished.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on October 19, 2021, 07:06:27 PM
It's now officially my reading season, have bought 2 books recently, the Sally Rooney one and Richard Osman's follow up book :D Not that hi brow these days.

;D You're getting like me! I'm too tired to read anything taxing nowadays. My Obama book is still vacuum packed!

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 19, 2021, 07:11:27 PM

;D You're getting like me! I'm too tired to read anything taxing nowadays. My Obama book is still vacuum packed!

Speaking of taxing books, I just finished War and Peace. What a slog! Interesting at many points during the story but awfully drawn out. Wouldnt recommend anyone put themselves through that.  I'm glad I read it, but also wonder why I stuck with it.

Now reading The Wisdom of Crowds, the latest in the series by Joe Abercrombie. Thoroughly enjoying it.

bennydorano

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 22, 2021, 09:43:12 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on April 21, 2021, 12:54:12 PM

Have I missed anything?

No.

I liked it, though it was definitely of its time.
Brother in law gave me that book years ago, always promised to get round to reading it. Watched the Movie version on Film 4 there a couple of weeks ago, not great and won't ever be reading it now.

Mikhail Prokhorov

get the audiobook, obama is the narrator as well, def worth it

great book though it's only vol 1   :)

Silver hill

Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart.
Semi autobiographical novel set in Glasgow in the 80s.
What a brilliantly crafted book.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Silver hill on October 19, 2021, 10:10:07 PM
Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart.
Semi autobiographical novel set in Glasgow in the 80s.
What a brilliantly crafted book.
I have avoided it as I have read reviews that talk about the grimness of it. Cant be doing with misery lit - is the grimness unrelenting or only a background to the story?

Silver hill

It's gritty alright, he doesn't sugar coat the conditions and the mood in thatcher era Glasgow. There is hope though. The book is a triumph of the human spirit.
Couldn't recommend it enough

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Silver hill on October 19, 2021, 10:52:07 PM
It's gritty alright, he doesn't sugar coat the conditions and the mood in thatcher era Glasgow. There is hope though. The book is a triumph of the human spirit.
Might add it to the reading list then.

Capt Pat

Quote from: lurganblue on October 19, 2021, 07:42:41 PM

Speaking of taxing books, I just finished War and Peace. What a slog! Interesting at many points during the story but awfully drawn out. Wouldnt recommend anyone put themselves through that.  I'm glad I read it, but also wonder why I stuck with it.

Now reading The Wisdom of Crowds, the latest in the series by Joe Abercrombie. Thoroughly enjoying it.

I eventually got  through war and peace in the original lockdown with everything shut and the 2 km limit on leaving the house. That was after  starting it and leaving it for many years on 2 different occasions. A hard slog it was but an interesting read as well.

dec

Stuck it on hold at the library when it was mentioned here and it has turned up already. Looking forward to it.

Silver hill

Quote from: dec on October 22, 2021, 07:48:03 PM

Stuck it on hold at the library when it was mentioned here and it has turned up already. Looking forward to it.

Hope you enjoy it.