UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 26, 2021, 05:35:51 PM
I'm not sure politicians can do anything about it. It's a licensing issue, which your MLA has absolutely zero influence over.

It should be addressed within the Olympic movement. If people from the 6 counties can represent Ireland then the contract that the Olympics signs should allow their families see them on TV. But as we know from the GAA, money wins out in these things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 26, 2021, 06:07:32 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 26, 2021, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 26, 2021, 05:35:51 PM
I'm not sure politicians can do anything about it. It's a licensing issue, which your MLA has absolutely zero influence over.

It should be addressed within the Olympic movement. If people from the 6 counties can represent Ireland then the contract that the Olympics signs should allow their families see them on TV. But as we know from the GAA, money wins out in these things.

The IOC are notoriously angsty when it comes to broadcasting & marketing rights, among other things. Main problem is that the European broadcast area rights to the current Summer Olympic Games are held by Discovery Networks EMEA, whom have sub-let some of these rights to national broadcasters like the BBC* & RTÉ. In the past these rights where held by the EBU, of which both RTÉ and BBC are members and cross-border reception as such within Europe wasn't as much of a deal.

You get perverse incentives in these things. The European sports bodies might think that widespread coverage of their sports was good thing, but some association in Africa where half the people have no TV wants the maximum money obtained regardless of the effect on the sports. You get the same thing happening in the GAA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Rewatching today's RTE coverage. Ger Canning makes an awful lot of mistakes in a game, especially with names. Said Gormleys block was 2002. Talked about Ben McDowell coming on for McCann.  ???

From the Bunker

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 29, 2021, 12:01:41 AM
Rewatching today's RTE coverage. Ger Canning makes an awful lot of mistakes in a game, especially with names. Said Gormleys block was 2002. Talked about Ben McDowell coming on for McCann.  ???

Ger is getting on - he's 70. So you can't be expecting him to get everybody's name right anymore or intricate historical details.

BennyCake

I had the Irish language commentary on instead on RTE News channel (and foregone the HD version as well), because I just can't stand listening to his commentary. I'd listen to Joe Pasquale commentating before Canning. Truly awful.

tyrone08

[/quote

Ben did come on for McCann lol but it only was for a few mins until McCann was checked out by the doc. He was brought on again after that.

RedHand88

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 29, 2021, 12:24:24 AM

Ben did come on for McCann lol but it only was for a few mins until McCann was checked out by the doc. He was brought on again after that.

He did. But his surname is McDonnell, not McDowell. ;D

Main Street

Both RTE and Sky had poor match commentary, but Sky won hands down with the punditry.

inroundthesquare

Is the match not available to re-watch on the RTE player? I'm sure Tyrone's games in Ulster were

redzone

Jim Bob

Anyone in north losing channels all of a sudden? Now I can get bbc1 bbc2 nor utv on my Samsung smart tv

RedHand88

Anyone experience being kicked off RTE on sky during extra time? Had heard this happened because of geoblocking paralympics coverage which had been due to be on at that time.
I know the times for geoblocking are arranged in advance but surely the possibility of extra time should be taken into account and someone at a computer somewhere should be able to override it until the broadcast is over.

imtommygunn

Happened a load of people myself included.

Farrandeelin

Are RTE covering any club games this Autumn or was last year a one-off in that regard for them?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 08, 2021, 10:08:10 PM
Are RTE covering any club games this Autumn or was last year a one-off in that regard for them?

Yeah starting this Saturday 
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come