Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 30, 2017, 08:28:44 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 28, 2017, 12:05:22 PM
We have a good enough mix size wise of defenders. I think its more to do with gettin away from zonal marking and give each player responsibly to mark his man and extra coaching In how to tackle cleanly and aggressively like the Dublin and mayo players.

Who are the three fast, hard defenders you are referring to.
read my post asshole. i never mentioned 3 hard fast defenders.

randomusername

Quote from: ose 14 on September 30, 2017, 07:56:11 AM
tyrones first league game this year v roscommon. tyrone abandoned the double sweeper here was the new dawn for 24 minutes. roscommon tore tyrone apart through the middle (even when the greatest sweeper in the history of tyrone football under harte big colm was in situ) scored one goal could have had 5 but for mickey o neill.
the tyrone management scared panicked reverted to type couldnt afford to get beat by the rossies.
2 man sweeper in place tyrone won comfortably. therein was our season right there.
a defensive system bar none (but only against poor teams) tyrone dont give fouls away we were told the greatest ever defence we were told except on the 27th august.
great defensive systems dont contain great defenders.
the facts are there.

Good point, forgot about that Rossies' game.

It's a bit of a conundrum really.

BennyHarp

Quote from: randomusername on September 30, 2017, 11:51:43 PM
Quote from: ose 14 on September 30, 2017, 07:56:11 AM
tyrones first league game this year v roscommon. tyrone abandoned the double sweeper here was the new dawn for 24 minutes. roscommon tore tyrone apart through the middle (even when the greatest sweeper in the history of tyrone football under harte big colm was in situ) scored one goal could have had 5 but for mickey o neill.
the tyrone management scared panicked reverted to type couldnt afford to get beat by the rossies.
2 man sweeper in place tyrone won comfortably. therein was our season right there.
a defensive system bar none (but only against poor teams) tyrone dont give fouls away we were told the greatest ever defence we were told except on the 27th august.
great defensive systems dont contain great defenders.
the facts are there.

Good point, forgot about that Rossies' game.

It's a bit of a conundrum really.

We tried a less defensive approach in first halves v Kerry and Donegal which where disasters too. Maybe a manager who had more than one year on his contract may have persisted but I suppose Mickey didn't have time to stick with it and returned to type.
That was never a square ball!!

bigpackiechestout

As the club championship draws to a close, how do we think this bodes for the county team next year:

In terms of defenders who could potentially step up, Ciaran McLaughlin, Ruairi Kelly and Michael McKernan spring to mind, all are fast sticky markers but may require a year or so on the panel to physically get to the level required. I also think Hugh Pat McGeary deserves more of a chance that he has got to date.

Ronan McHugh ran riot in Ahyaran's first game then seemed to struggle from play in their next two games. Harry Loughran has been shooting the lights out for the Moy (in League as well as Championship), outscoring big Sean, he will be after more game time next year. Is there anyone from Derrylauglan who might be worth taking a look at?

What about young Darcy from Tattyreagh? He outshone Cathal McShane v Owen rose the other night.

Anyone think any of Errigal's young guns (Kavanagh, Mcdonnell or Kelly) are county standard yet?

Conor O'Donnell of Omagh has probably been the standout forward thus far but he is probably a bit old to come in for Tyrone at this stage. Conan Grugan has been scoring heavily for Omagh and playing a bit further forward than his usual midfield role, he could be worth another look but Mickey's stubborness will probably dictate otherwise.

In other news I have been hugley impressed with Frank burns and think he should definitely see more game time next year, hopefully at wing forward

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

driveherin

Brendan Burns never gave Bradley, PJ Lavery and Harte a kick hardly. Definitely deserves a chance. HP McGeary also shone for Pomeroy in their championship run. Is John Loughran worth a chance?
McLaughlin and O'Donnell definitely worth a look at too... McLaughlin destroyed wonderkid DD Mulgrew? O'Donnell only 30 odd? Age just a number!!
I'd safely say Brian Kennedy from Derrylaughan a better option than Paudy McNulty/McShane
Not sure on too many other to be honest,no better than whats already there.No out and out scorers in fairness  :-\ :-\ :-\

So who Mickey taking into backroom team?

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: driveherin on October 02, 2017, 03:54:53 PM
Brendan Burns never gave Bradley, PJ Lavery and Harte a kick hardly. Definitely deserves a chance. HP McGeary also shone for Pomeroy in their championship run. Is John Loughran worth a chance?
McLaughlin and O'Donnell definitely worth a look at too... McLaughlin destroyed wonderkid DD Mulgrew? O'Donnell only 30 odd? Age just a number!!
I'd safely say Brian Kennedy from Derrylaughan a better option than Paudy McNulty/McShane
Not sure on too many other to be honest,no better than whats already there.No out and out scorers in fairness  :-\ :-\ :-\

So who Mickey taking into backroom team?

Apologies, don't know how i missed out Brendan Burns. Along with Frank and O'Donnell he's been the standout player in the Championship so far for me.

At 29/30 I agree O'Donnell is not old but I just mean that it would be unusual for a player to start out his county career at this age. Would be great to see if he did though

wee scully

A big stringy forward is what Mickeys after surely Kyle Coney would be worth another shot

Club boi

Quote from: wee scully on October 02, 2017, 05:38:40 PM
A big stringy forward is what Mickeys after surely Kyle Coney would be worth another shot

Ah jaysus lads this ship has sailed, he's never coming back, move on

southtyronegael

from what ive seen i would say mc loughlin, mc kernan, hp mc geery, frank burns, brendan burns, shea mc guigan, conan grugan, conor o donnell, munroe all should be getting game time for tyrone.

skeog

STG vast majority have been involved either didnt cut it or they had other things to do with their lives which doesnt involve Senior County Football.

southtyronegael

skeog, you say 'involved' does that mean playing an odd mc kenna cup game or what? cause i dont remember too many of the lads ive named playin meaningful games for tyrone.

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 02, 2017, 09:07:11 PM
skeog, you say 'involved' does that mean playing an odd mc kenna cup game or what? cause i dont remember too many of the lads ive named playin meaningful games for tyrone.

I'm pretty sure there's more goes on in the preparation of teams than just the games you see.
That was never a square ball!!

twenty one yard free

To be fair til kyle he had a great league campaign for the Rossa finishing top scorer for them this year again and with ardboe getting put out in the first round of the championship we couldn't really judge Kyle on that performance

redhandefender

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 02, 2017, 09:07:11 PM

Aye sure start 5 or 6 of them in the ulster championship first round for the craic!

Would definitely give Conor O'Donnell another shot but pointless unless he changes the system a bit.

Reading extract from Gooch's book last night, God we had it good back then, 1-15 or maybe 1 to 26 absolute terriers on the pitch went out to get Sam. Oh to have a Ricey mc menamin now. Gooch obviously still raging throwing in sly digs and then trying compliment them. Gooch should have stayed away from Books, TV and money spinning dinners as he as gonnne from a mysterious enigma to a wee ginger p***k!