Black Ball

Started by Dinny Breen, September 28, 2017, 07:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 28, 2017, 08:39:42 AM

As for cynicism, its kill or be killed, I have no problem with it, you do what you have to do, anyone who played the game would know this, but I doubt people on this forum know what a club is.
Do you have a problem with eye gouging and biting?

It's a real "coincidence" how many times these things have come up in relation to Dublin players in recent years.

brokencrossbar1

Black card offence?  14 years free no matter where th fouls occurs, player sinbinned for 10 minutes. If those two additions were made to the rule the level of institutional fouls would decrease. 8 team fouls per half as well and it's a 14 metre free. All the ref needs is a page in his book where he ticks the fouls off!!  Pretty basic stuff

TheGreatest

Quote from: sid waddell on September 28, 2017, 12:23:01 PM

As for cynicism, its kill or be killed, I have no problem with it, you do what you have to do, anyone who played the game would know this, but I doubt people on this forum know what a club is.

It's a real "coincidence" how many times these things have come up in relation to Dublin players in recent years.

Is that classified cynicism or dirty play?

Im talk about last minute of the game stuff. Listen to Cian o Sullivan on Off the Ball recently, Paul Geaney, they are the ones they are saying its kill or be killed. Why didn't you drag him down mr defender, we were 2 points up with 1 minute to go to win the All Ireland. etc.

Don't think any Dublin player out of Philly Mc has be found guilty of such an offence.

Sin bin works fine in ladies football. . . . . . . . .

sid waddell

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 28, 2017, 12:34:26 PM

I would say it would be classed as both.

Not all cyncism is dirty but all dirt is cynical.

As I said, a real "coincidence" that Dublin players have been at the centre of so many of these incidents.

TheGreatest

Quote from: sid waddell on September 28, 2017, 12:38:18 PM

As I said, a real "coincidence" that Dublin players have been at the centre of so many of these incidents.

Well they say serial winners are the worst offenders.

Only one player I can remember was charged with those offences you mention below, so cant be all that bad, 1 player!!!! . . . .

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 28, 2017, 12:09:38 PM
If the opposition are doing it down the other end should you not do it and lose but at least you can hold your head high? That's the alternative. Winning isn't everything but the higher up you go the more it is.
The rules are there to be obeyed or broken. Individuals and groups can choose which route to take. I'm just giving my view on it.

TabClear

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 28, 2017, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on September 28, 2017, 11:26:31 AM
How do you define what is cheating and spot it though?
In more extreme cases such as hauling down a player who is bearing down on goal usually causes uproar, but what about the corner forward who pushes his marker to get the few yards of space. 

What if he scores a goal as a result? Is this cheating?
Yes. Call it intentionally breaking the rules to gain an advantage if cheating sounds too harsh.

Is diving any worse than claiming a sideline ball when you know it came off you? One is deemed cheating, the other part and parcel of the game?

BC1 suggestion for 14 yard frees would be interesting but given how few and far between black cards are i would take it further. Penalty for Black Card offenses and when the foul limit kicks in 14 yard free.

rosnarun

Quote from: TabClear on September 28, 2017, 12:56:00 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 28, 2017, 11:54:16 AM
In more extreme cases such as hauling down a player who is bearing down on goal usually causes uproar, but what about the corner forward who pushes his marker to get the few yards of space. 

Yes. Call it intentionally breaking the rules to gain an advantage if cheating sounds too harsh.

Is diving any worse than claiming a sideline ball when you know it came off you? One is deemed cheating, the other part and parcel of the game?

BC1 suggestion for 14 yard frees would be interesting but given how few and far between black cards are i would take it further. Penalty for Black Card offenses and when the foul limit kicks in 14 yard free.
yes
I know this is the internet but have people lost all sense of perspective.
not all wrongs are equally wrong every thing has some level of graduation
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

sid waddell

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 28, 2017, 12:45:25 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 28, 2017, 12:38:18 PM

Well they say serial winners are the worst offenders.

Only one player I can remember was charged with those offences you mention below, so cant be all that bad, 1 player!!!! . . . .
Yeah, "coincidence".

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dublin-defender-kevin-o-brien-s-hearing-over-alleged-biting-incident-against-donegal-set-for-wednesday-night-1.1369074

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-s-jason-whelan-banned-for-eight-weeks-1.1664640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6YQBgD-0A

Ethan Tremblay

Not all wrongs are equal but defining what is wrong would be down to the discretion of the ref as it is the majority of the time now. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

phpearse

I miss the days when it would be Tyrone players in those photos and everyone talking about the dirty players from Tyrone. Good ole days!

blewuporstuffed

part of the problem with this type of cheating is that the punishment is far less severe for the attacker than it  is for the defender, so its worth takinga risk.
Take for example a full forward and full back on the 13m line as a ball is played in long, the full back could give his man a shove to gain an advantage, but the penalty for being caught doing so is conceding a handy scoreable free or penalty and most likely a booking.

The forward could give his man a shove in order to gain an advantage which might get him a score, the penalty for him getting caught is much less severe, a free against him on his own 13m line and its rare that he would get booked for doing it.

Its risk v reward, and at the minute the rules are wildly skewed towards the attacker in these types of situation.
This is one of the big reasons why teams have become more defensive in their set ups. The more we move the rules towards' attacking play' the more teams will set up to counteract this.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

magpie seanie

Quote from: phpearse on September 28, 2017, 01:32:36 PM
I miss the days when it would be Tyrone players in those photos and everyone talking about the dirty players from Tyrone. Good ole days!

Cracking post!

TheGreatest

Inconclusive still frames. Again only one player has been punished for this alleged offence.

Is time wasting cynical and cheating?

Jell 0 Biafra

I don't think the author has ever watched an NBA playoff game.