Gardening

Started by 118cmal, June 25, 2010, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

Decking goes straight out from the 2 back doors of the house, maybe 2.5m, garden slopes away underneath
The artificial grass is just down on top of the decking - assume its screwed down. The suppliers fitted for him.
I guess any rain that lands on it just drops through the gaps in the decking underneath

RadioGAAGAA

Oh, didn't know you could do that - I thought it'd need a thicker base. Good info, cheers
i usse an speelchekor

balladmaker

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 31, 2020, 09:52:52 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on July 31, 2020, 02:21:32 AM
Planted a Portuguese Laurel hedge recently, now they're very small, no more than a foot to 18 inches in height so will be quite a while before they're in a hedge formation of any sort.  They cover an area of approx 70 metres.  I'm destroyed keeping the weeds away from around the newly planted hedge ... any suggestions other than hand weeding?

You can get a hood for a knacksack sprayer that will allow you to spray inbetween the trees without touching the trees. Good job but you need to be very careful.
https://www.tooled-up.com/hozelock-weedkiller-cone-for-5-16l-pressure-sprayers/prod/307765/?Referrer=affwin&source=affwin&awc=496_1596185541_4db53b82122d79a17d799e7bbf791d7d

Then once weeds killed off get down some bark or even your grass cuttings/ mulch and it'll help retain moisture and keep the weeds down. Just make sure if your doing grass cuttings that there's very little weeds in it!!

Superb, thanks for that!

bogball88

Have a wet spot in the corner of my garden where even after the slightest shower it becomes waterlogged and doesnt drain away. I assume this is due to the clay having compacted. I had planned to dig the spot up and replace with gravel and sand and relay the top. Is this the best and easiest solution? Not big enough to warrant putting in drains. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogball88 on February 24, 2021, 08:06:51 PM
Have a wet spot in the corner of my garden where even after the slightest shower it becomes waterlogged and doesnt drain away. I assume this is due to the clay having compacted. I had planned to dig the spot up and replace with gravel and sand and relay the top. Is this the best and easiest solution? Not big enough to warrant putting in drains. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome

I've the same problem, dug it up and stoned it! Underlay gravel and decorative stones and nice plant pots, less grass to cut. Put a brick border round it also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tintin25

Anyone have any contacts who could do spot of landscaping at a reasonable price?  The main landscapers cost a fortune.

thewobbler

Quote from: tintin25 on February 24, 2021, 09:33:56 PM
Anyone have any contacts who could do spot of landscaping at a reasonable price?  The main landscapers cost a fortune.

This is likely related to what you mean by landscaping? If it's turning a wasteland into a garden, then it's not much more than donkey work. If it's building walls, paths and beds, then it's skilled labour.

trueblue1234

Try a soakaway. Similar to wat you mention but be warned you may just find you move the problem along sometimes. But if done right can be good job.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

sensethetone

If you were able to get some farm yard manure, it will help the soil soak up the water. In theory there should be more grass and worms.

tintin25

Quote from: thewobbler on February 24, 2021, 10:00:07 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on February 24, 2021, 09:33:56 PM

This is likely related to what you mean by landscaping? If it's turning a wasteland into a garden, then it's not much more than donkey work. If it's building walls, paths and beds, then it's skilled labour.

Yeah, pretty much.  Have a bank at the back I want rid of or need to do something with.

Orior

Quote from: sensethetone on February 25, 2021, 07:34:14 AM

If you were able to get some farm yard manure, it will help the soil soak up the water. In theory there should be more grass and worms.

I had a similar issue many years ago, so I put in a sump. Basically, I lifted the soil and grass off a six feet by 5 feet area, and then dun a hole 5 feet deep. Then I filled the hole with small stones, and finally replaced the soil and grass. No more water logging. By the way, it was back breaking work.

PS. This not the same as what happened in Cromwell Street, Gloucester.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

WeeDonns

Got an in ground trampoline put in a few weeks back & artificial grass on the rest of the back garden.
Have to say the artificial grass is a great job. Garden was previously holding a lot of water, so had to drain it anyway. Kids getting great use out of it now

Had to dig a soakaway under the trampoline, its doing the job so far

LeoMc

Now that Sutton's, T and M, etc are no longer shipping seeds and seed potatoes to the wee 6 does anyone have any recommendations for online supplies who can supply?

trueblue1234

Anyone any advice for Leather jackets In the lawn? Have tried the Nematodes but no use!! Completely destroying the lawn. I know the chemical insecticides have all been banned a couple of years ago, but if anyone has any advise would be greatly appreciated. (Or can put me in touch with any black market contacts that might still have some of the insecticides!!) Will try anything at this stage!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

screenexile

Spent the day in the garden and put my back out... I f**king hate gardening!