The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-tyrone-will-continue-to-play-their-1131-formation-and-mickey-harte-is-to-blame-36564462.html

"The early signs are encouraging, apart from Tyrone, who resumed against Galway where they left off in Croke Park last August, trapped in a robotic defensive game that forbids expression"

In rugby it's called playing the percentages. In soccer it's called players not good enough.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/you-need-three-playmakers-luke-fitzgerald-puts-forward-idea-to-sort-out-irelands-blunt-attack-36572709.html

Leinster and Ireland legend Luke Fitzgerald believes Joe Schmidt must use a ball-handler in the centre or at full-back if they are to pose more of a threat offensively.

Ireland enjoyed over 70pc possession and territory in the dramatic 15-13 win in Paris on Saturday but made zero line breaks, only beat 15 defenders and rarely looked like scoring a try against Les Bleus.

France set a new record for tackles made by a team in the Six Nations with 253 in the game while captain Guilhem Guirado equalled the highest number of tackles for an individual in a Six Nations encounter with 31. The record had been held by Wales' Luke Charteris who made the same number of tackles against Schmidt's Ireland in 2015.

Each of the top four team tackle tallies have come against the Ireland since Schmidt's arrival in 2013. Two of them came in a winning cause (Scotland last year and Wales in 2015). Had Sexton's miraculous drop-goal fallen short or sailed wide, France would have made it three.

Speaking on The Left Wing Live in association with Aer Lingus, Fitzgerald said he feels that Ireland need another creative force in the midfield outside of the half-back partnership.

Asked about the performance of centres Robbie Henshaw and Bundee Aki on Saturday, he said:  "They were probably a bit curtailed in that department with the conditions. I think it's a nice combination to have, very physical and you can build plays around those guys

"Both of them can handle the ball but with Joe's gameplan often it can be more direct. He is very collision-oriented. He likes to get momentum and I think he backs Conor Murray and Johnny Sexton to act as playmakers.

"What I think and you sometimes have seen it against Wales and France. When one of those guys is caught up in a breakdown you don't have that creativity. That's why Joey Carberry or someone else in the centre, a Chris Farrell, whoever it may be, you need one more playmaker. You need three playmakers there.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 04, 2018, 04:19:36 AM
It was 80 minutes of pure scutter but what Sexton  did at the end, with the restart, the kick to Earls and the drop goal, especially in the context of his earlier miss which would have made him the fall guy, with the season on the line, was as good a piece of perfection under pressure as you'd ever see in sport. Bradyesque. I've no love for the sport or the team but you have to admire greatness.

Could have written that myself. Pure class from Sexton at the end.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

JoG2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 06, 2018, 10:54:33 AM
It was 80 minutes of pure scutter but what Sexton  did at the end, with the restart, the kick to Earls and the drop goal, especially in the context of his earlier miss which would have made him the fall guy, with the season on the line, was as good a piece of perfection under pressure as you'd ever see in sport. Bradyesque. I've no love for the sport or the team but you have to admire greatness.

100%. Will never tire of watching it. Even in phase 4, Sexton breaks the line through a couple of tackles. The whole 40 phases in the rain culminating in the drop kick at the end was just incredible. Sporting drama at it's very best

AZOffaly

Quote from: JoG2 on February 06, 2018, 11:25:34 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 06, 2018, 10:54:33 AM

100%. Will never tire of watching it. Even in phase 4, Sexton breaks the line through a couple of tackles. The whole 40 phases in the rain culminating in the drop kick at the end was just incredible. Sporting drama at it's very best

Brilliant discipline and control by the whole team, and Sexton's role was incredible. To not give away a penalty or a knock on in those circumstances is fantastic. And then to have to do things like the crossfield kick to make the yards, in the face of excellent defence was great as well. 41 phases I think I saw, which is coincidentally the same number of phases before ROG's matchwinner v Northampton in TP. I was there that night and the tension was unbearable. I can't imagine the stakes at International level.

oakleaflad

Ireland team v Italy: Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Jack McGrath, Rory Best (captain), Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Devin Toner, Peter O'Mahony, Dan Leavy, Jack Conan.

Replacements: Cian Healy, Sean Cronin, Andrew Porter, Quinn Roux, CJ Stander, Kieran Marmion, Joey Carbery, Jordan Larmour.

AZOffaly

I'd have like to see O'Mahoney rested. I think himself and Stander are knackered.

Mayo4Sam

I'd like to have seen Kearney dropped, passed it for a couple of years now, the Chicago game aside.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

screenexile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 08, 2018, 02:10:04 PM
I'd like to have seen Kearney dropped, passed it for a couple of years now, the Chicago game aside.

I think you'll see Larmour come on shortly after Half Time.

Syferus

So we're just playing Sexton non-stop this year? Seems like a receipe for disaster.

magpie seanie

Would have expected more changes. We should be able to beat these and put up a good score with a second string outfit.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2018, 02:20:14 PM
So we're just playing Sexton non-stop this year? Seems like a receipe for disaster.

England kept Farrell and Ford on for the whole match last week and they're starting this week again it would seem fairly standard to start with your strongest team and hope to be able to take him off with half an hour to go.

Not that it will work out like that but hopefully it does.

seafoid

They need alternatives to Kearney for the RWC. The no try policy is hardly going to get them to a semí final.

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2018, 03:30:51 PM
They need alternatives to Kearney for the RWC. The no try policy is hardly going to get them to a semí final.

And moreso, Best. Nuts that he got a long contract recently.

Dinny Breen

Ultan Dillane's mother has sadly passed away, funeral is Saturday. His father wasn't around much so they were very tight, big driving force, he's understandably devastated. May she rest in peace. 
#newbridgeornowhere