What is a good season for the Mayo senior football team?

Started by Nihilist, February 16, 2015, 04:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 18, 2015, 12:06:45 AM

So, which is it going to be Dan?

I hope im wrong here but its not going to be pretty.Even if we get out of Connacht which will be a big ask the cat is out of the bag on how to beat us and the new management dosent fill me with confidence.

mayoman dan

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 18, 2015, 12:13:37 AM
Quote from: moysider on February 18, 2015, 12:06:45 AM

So, which is it going to be Dan?

I hope im wrong here but its not going to be pretty.Even if we get out of Connacht which will be a big ask the cat is out of the bag on how to beat us and the new management dosent fill me with confidence.

Surely they cant be that blind to whats happening on the pitch? Does anyone else think they might be keeping something in reserve for when we need it later in the year?

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

mayoman dan

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 30, 2015, 12:38:26 PM
An All Ireland

Simply not going to happen if we keep conceding goals at our current rate.We have the players no doubt but tactical accumen will again be our downfall.Anyone that thinks there is a great defensive plan to be unleashed as and when we need it is going to be dissapointed.I hope to God im proven wrong but looking at Castlebar in the all ireland club final would suggest otherwise.Diarmuid Connolly was given free reign to do as he pleased and the line (Pateen) ether didnt see it or didnt respond and i dont know which is worse.Its going to be another glorious failure

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on July 30, 2015, 09:38:17 PM
An All Ireland

Simply not going to happen if we keep conceding goals at our current rate.We have the players no doubt but tactical accumen will again be our downfall.Anyone that thinks there is a great defensive plan to be unleashed as and when we need it is going to be dissapointed.I hope to God im proven wrong but looking at Castlebar in the all ireland club final would suggest otherwise.Diarmuid Connolly was given free reign to do as he pleased and the line (Pateen) ether didnt see it or didnt respond and i dont know which is worse.Its going to be another glorious failure

I've tried to get some opinions going on this but not many takers. The thing is though while it is easy to see where the problem is, it is another matter to resolve it.
I ll give Pateen and Noel some slack on this. If we keep playing the way we do we will continue to leak goals. We don't have the personnel in last line of defence to survive in the way we are set up. We have gone a bit more covering back, but back 3 still brittle and flaky.
To protect that last line and not concede those goals would need to go ultra defensive. Complete sea change where you concede kick-outs and drop the high press and basically become another counter-attacking team.
Time is ticking. Horan went close with his vision of the game (and it is a very good one) but got done by more practical attritional approaches and a bit of dodgy referring to boot.
Look I dunno. But there are a lot of Mayo posters on here but apart from a bit of slagging with the Rossies, they have little to say recently. I might be wrong but I suspect they think that Mayo can do it with just good players. Maybe H&C are hoping that can happen too. That's not going to happen. But it looks like Mayo supporters in general are happy enough with 'the good players should be able to win approach'. TBH I like what I ve seen from H&C teams so far. A few issues during the league but they were important learning as well.

As far as the great defensive plan goes. Not rocket science. Do what Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan do. Kerry last year and Dublin this year have unveiled their own versions of defensive football. Ours is still a bit light-weight. Ironically we have the best squad to play that game better than anybody but remains to be seen if we are willing to buy into it.

From the Bunker

A good season is beating Kerry or Dublin!
A great season is hopefully beating them both with silverware attached!

macdanger2

Re defensive systems, I think H&C are playing slightly more defensive than we did last year. I'd like to see them play just a tad more defensive without going the whole hog as you suggest above Moy. I'd be talking about leaving one of McLoughlin / DOC / SOS / Parsons in front of the FB line at all times to prevent goals - in the two AIFs, we've lost them because we conceded two goals in each

I think that it is possible for Mayo to win an AI without going completely blanket defense although I wouldn't blame H&C if they decide to change tack next year and follow the pack.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on July 31, 2015, 12:43:26 AM
An All Ireland

I've tried to get some opinions going on this but not many takers. The thing is though while it is easy to see where the problem is, it is another matter to resolve it.
I ll give Pateen and Noel some slack on this. If we keep playing the way we do we will continue to leak goals. We don't have the personnel in last line of defence to survive in the way we are set up. We have gone a bit more covering back, but back 3 still brittle and flaky.
To protect that last line and not concede those goals would need to go ultra defensive. Complete sea change where you concede kick-outs and drop the high press and basically become another counter-attacking team.
Time is ticking. Horan went close with his vision of the game (and it is a very good one) but got done by more practical attritional approaches and a bit of dodgy referring to boot.
Look I dunno. But there are a lot of Mayo posters on here but apart from a bit of slagging with the Rossies, they have little to say recently. I might be wrong but I suspect they think that Mayo can do it with just good players. Maybe H&C are hoping that can happen too. That's not going to happen. But it looks like Mayo supporters in general are happy enough with 'the good players should be able to win approach'. TBH I like what I ve seen from H&C teams so far. A few issues during the league but they were important learning as well.

As far as the great defensive plan goes. Not rocket science. Do what Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan do. Kerry last year and Dublin this year have unveiled their own versions of defensive football. Ours is still a bit light-weight. Ironically we have the best squad to play that game better than anybody but remains to be seen if we are willing to buy into it.

I dont think we do Moy. Name Higgins in the forwards and use him as an extra defender.Seamus O Se and Mc Loughlin to play very deep almost between the full and half back lines.As much as i dont like doing it i would instruct Keegan and Boyle to hold their positions and not go rampaging forward at least not for the first 50 mins of the game anyway.I would still let Vaughan get up and down the field.Higgins simply has to be deployed as a sweeper or spare man at the back he is the only viable candidate.He is quick over the first few yards he reads the game very well and he is an excellent distributor of the ball.If the game is getting away from us round the 55 minute mark i would let the half backs and Mc Loughlin start getting further forward to force the issue

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on July 31, 2015, 05:26:47 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 31, 2015, 12:43:26 AM
An All Ireland

I dont think we do Moy. Name Higgins in the forwards and use him as an extra defender.Seamus O Se and Mc Loughlin to play very deep almost between the full and half back lines.As much as i dont like doing it i would instruct Keegan and Boyle to hold their positions and not go rampaging forward at least not for the first 50 mins of the game anyway.I would still let Vaughan get up and down the field.Higgins simply has to be deployed as a sweeper or spare man at the back he is the only viable candidate.He is quick over the first few yards he reads the game very well and he is an excellent distributor of the ball.If the game is getting away from us round the 55 minute mark i would let the half backs and Mc Loughlin start getting further forward to force the issue

That sounds pretty ultra dan :)

I would encourage Keegan and Boyle to counter-attack.

Nihilist

From here on in its about beating the blanket and whatever that blanket may be including a Mayo blanket. Don't forget that this team have been conditioned and primed to play in a specific attacking way for 4 years and should have won at least one of those finals in 2013. Anyway this attacking strategy is not going to be just dumped and a new system implemented in 1 single season. A partial blanket attempt may be introduced.

Check out the other top 5/6 teams.
Monaghan, Tyrone and Donegal already have been conditioned to play blanket for the past few years and have had the time to perfect it.

Kerry began it last year and played a somewhat defensive counter attacking game against Mayo in the semi final. And they certainly adopted that same approach with Donegal in the final . Look at Kerry again this year against Cork. They didn't really employ a blanket the first day and were fortunate to not get caught out. But they did employ a sweeper the second and used it again the 1/4 final against Kildare. They allied that with very fast ball into fast forwards who are able to physically take on and beat their man. And I would assume this is their plan going forward.

Everyone is also talking about Dublin being more defensive. But the bottom line here is that they too have not been tested yet. So it's hard to say how good their "new" one is.

So come back to discuss Mayo. Have they been able to adjust in one season to employ a defensive system? I doubt it.
But that is not this managements fault as again it come back to changing a complete team mindset.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Bod Mor

If somebody was to tell me this time last year that Mayo would still be playing football in September 2015 I would be absolutely over the moon.
There's no doubt about it that we need to stick with Holmes and Connelly. This is the most talented set of Mayo footballers I've seen in my lifetime anyway. Some of them aren't getting any younger but we have found some real gems in Durcan and Diarmuid O'Connor. Add to that the likes of Stephen Coen, Michael Hall, Evan Regan and David Drake. People have mentioned Conor Loftus too. These lads need to be given as much game time as possible in the league next year, especially Regan. I know it's been talked to death but what else can we do but look ahead to 2016.
I have no doubt that these lads have already forgotten about last Saturday and are already mad to get back playing football again.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

PW Nally

Quote from: Bod Mor on September 10, 2015, 11:59:25 PM
If somebody was to tell me this time last year that Mayo would still be playing football in September 2015 I would be absolutely over the moon.
There's no doubt about it that we need to stick with Holmes and Connelly. This is the most talented set of Mayo footballers I've seen in my lifetime anyway. Some of them aren't getting any younger but we have found some real gems in Durcan and Diarmuid O'Connor. Add to that the likes of Stephen Coen, Michael Hall, Evan Regan and David Drake. People have mentioned Conor Loftus too. These lads need to be given as much game time as possible in the league next year, especially Regan. I know it's been talked to death but what else can we do but look ahead to 2016.
I have no doubt that these lads have already forgotten about last Saturday and are already mad to get back playing football again.

An bhfuil tú off do rocker!!

Bod Mor

Quote from: PW Nally on September 11, 2015, 06:59:32 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on September 10, 2015, 11:59:25 PM

An bhfuil tú off do rocker!!

Bhí mè glan as mo mheabhair an seachtain seo chaite ach níl mè ro-dhona anois, buìochas le dia.
Tà a fhios agat fèin nach mbeidh bannisteoir nua again an bhliain seo chugainn. Is dóigh liom gur  mbeadh James Horan ar ais an bhliain ina dhiaidh sin. An t-aon rud atà eagla orm faoi ná gur mbeadh Donnie Buckley linn an bhliain seo chugainn. Caithfidh an mbord gach uile rud a dheanamh chun an fear sin a choinnèail.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.