Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2018, 07:50:42 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 18, 2018, 07:42:52 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 18, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
By the same token, if the players feel intimidated by the way he is delivering his criticism, they are fully entitled to tell him to shove it up his hole and opt out without the county board banning them from club football.

Your head is up your hole.

By the sounds of it, any team you were ever in was never competitive enough to give off to each other for not coming up to standard.
Please stop personally attacking me.
It seems to me that these players were not used to being spoken to in the way he spoke to them. Now, we can all say "I've heard worse" or "It's not that bad" or "They need to suck it up". The fact is they don't have to suck it up and as the saying goes "if they don't like it they know where the door is". Well, they decided to go out the door. It's their choice.

Away and dry yer eyes.

When these mouthpieces came out and said the manager had caused "issues of a personal and sensitive nature" and the environment was "not safe" for "young girls" - and you feel that is acceptable behaviour - then shove your concern over personal attacks on you up your arse.
i usse an speelchekor

JoG2

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 10:55:46 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 19, 2018, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: shark on September 19, 2018, 10:45:09 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 10:26:30 AM
Quote from: shark on September 19, 2018, 10:21:40 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 10:15:07 AM
Quote from: shark on September 19, 2018, 10:09:38 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 09:37:48 AM
Quote from: shark on September 19, 2018, 09:00:22 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 19, 2018, 08:52:50 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 18, 2018, 11:15:24 PM

It's actually incredible that this has to be answered.

Because half the panel won't play for him and because Mayo women's football will be hopelessly and bitterly divided going forward. How will that benefit women's football in Mayo?

A new manager would at least give the team the chance to move forward. As it is, Leahys' position is untenable.

Leahy is in the exactly same position as Mickey Moran, Gerald McCarthy, Teddy Holland, Justin McCarthy, Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes and Anthony Cunningham were.

Most of those at least saw sense and stepped down sooner or later. Mickey Moran and Justin McCarthy didn't and tried to brazen it out. In neither case did things work out well.

So Peter Leahy resigns and this problem magically evaporates?

More than two thirds of the squad who backed him and "believe that no player welfare issues exist or have ever existed under the current management and categorically disagree with the statement issued in July by the individuals that departed the Mayo senior ladies panel regarding the welfare issues raised". He should just abandon those 26 players who called out the "failed coup" and backed him instead? I'm sure they'd appreciate being left in the lurch like that.

So say Leahy does resign and the best manager in the country is brought in, does he sit there with the threat of a coup hanging over him if he dares to drop certain players? Would those players be happy being benched by a new manager with excellent communication skills?

Look at the history of pervious Mayo managers and how they got on with that group. They had to bring in a priest to train them at one stage as nobody else would touch it. Those select few players are unmanageable, unless they are allowed to exert control themselves.

The evidence of 2017, when they reached the All-Ireland final, would suggest that that's utter balderdash.

The evidence of 2017 would suggest that those players were allowed to exert control. Did you watch the final? It was a joke how their star player carried on.
You have no evidence for that.

In fact throughout this thread there has been unsubstantiated statements, drunken pub level stuff used to try and vilify the players involved. Hearsay and conjecture, in other words.

The evidence is there that the players who walked out know what it takes to compete at the highest level, because they have done - within the last year.

The players that walked out made up the minority of the team that got to the final in 2017. Those who didn't walk out also know how to compete at that same level.

Do you know any ladies footballers from Mayo? I do, as I was in college with a number of them. The culture there has been toxic for the best part of a decade, if not longer. Numerous quality players have walked away from it. Numerous managers have quit after short tenure's. This is not a new development.
Again, more hearsay and conjecture.

Short management tenures are the default all over the GAA.

Can you tell me how Leahy's performance in the job has been in any way competent and why he should remain in the job?

It's not hearsay. As far back as 2010 Pat Costello resigned as manager only weeks before the championship began.

The statement read: ""At a meeting with the executive committee of the Mayo Ladies County Board on April 19, Pat Costello tendered his resignation as manager of the Mayo Ladies senior football team, stating that his position was no longer tenable due to him being constantly undermined by certain players within the panel."

Take your head out of the sand.

Give up Sid, you're being schooled

If indeed the setup has been toxic and star player lead, maybe this is Mayo ladies football 'rock bottom' and IF all sides can work through this (in private), this could be a real watershed moment.

Do Carnacon manage themselves? (half joking btw)

Can you tell me how on earth Mayo reached the 2017 final if the team was so unmanageable?

Do you consider the Mayo men's football team unmanageable too, given that they went on strike over what seemed like pretty tenuous issues?

Or is it just women who get tarred as "unmanageable"?

Just women? Behave Sid

And who's to say if Mayo had had a strong manager at the helm they wouldn't have won the final?

You seem to want to throw PL under the bus. From what I've read on hear from Mayo folk, the setup has been player lead, toxic for the best part of a decade, a big majority of the players want to keep the current management team as well as the Mayo CB. Something needs to change, and it's not the management team imo

dublin7

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 10:51:47 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 19, 2018, 10:45:31 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 10:33:42 AM
Parkinson's hypocrisy is laughable.

That was before he interviewed the manager last week and he openly admitted he was in the wrong to question him previously.

For someone who the Carnacon players claim is basically a monster I thought he was more complimentary to Cora Staunton than she deserved. I was at the final last year and every time she got the ball it was shoot on site. Didn't even consider the option to pass to  a teammate. Crazy decisions at times to go her own rather than pass the ball.

Did you see the video of her telling the girls who the manager had delegated the free taking to go away as she was taking them. She did it twice to 2 different players.

These same players pressure their teammates to drop off the panel to force the manager's resignation but they chose to stay and support the manager. To me that only makes for a stronger panel. Not only should the manager not resign but the Carnacon players should apologise to him and their teammates for their actions if they want to play for the county again.
Because he agreed to be a guest on Parkinson's show.

Parkinson has zero integrity and is basically a troll.

12 of your best players dropping off a panel does not make for a stronger panel and only a fantasist could think otherwise. Again, reality is not doing some of the pro-Leahy posters any favours here.

How many players dropped off the Dublin hurling panel under Ger Cunningham? I'd say it was around 12.

Did that make for a stronger panel?

He did agree to be a guest on the show and it was an excellent interview and Parkinson admitted he made the comment you quoted without getting the background to the story. It's hypocritical of you to criticise him when you compare his interview to the so called press conference yesterday. The players did this with only 2 journalists present that they handpicked themselves.

Also they still haven't withdrawn the allegation of an unsafe environment and their claims of mental health issues is to me a cop out. I'm sure it is stressful for them and they are coming under pressure for their stance but to claim that's a mental health issue is over the top and unfair to people with serious mental health issues.

In relation to the dubs, the players who dropped themselves off the dublin panel were from different clubs and clearly there were numerous issues there. In this case the players/selector all came from Caranacon. Does that not strike you as an incredible coincidence? To claim it's jealousy on the part of other clubs/players is so feeble it's laughable. The issue seems to have bound the remaining panel members together and for once it seems a united camp.

Finally do you think it's right for the Carnacon players who walked to then pressure their teammates a few days before a game not to play to force out a manger??

Halfquarter

Quote from: Jinxy on September 19, 2018, 11:00:53 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 19, 2018, 10:50:33 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 19, 2018, 10:31:16 AM
https://www.the42.ie/mayo-ladies-football-statement-player-welfare-carnacon-4218033-Sep2018/

"We fully support our management team and as a team believe that all of their decisions and selections were made fairly after careful consideration. We had a fantastic league campaign culminating in a league final appearance in Parnell Park and while the last few months were difficult and disappointing; many new players were given an opportunity to perform at county level.

"Our manager Peter Leahy has shown integrity and honour under tremendous pressure and he has always treated us as elite athletes, has supported and stood strong for us allowing us to play football without fear or intimidation.

"The management set up has been top class with no stone left unturned to make sure we can avail of top level coaching and facilities. The management ethos is focused on teamwork and also on how we as individuals can perform to the highest standard.

I don't think that this statement carries any weight. One thing that can be seen clearly from everything that has happened is that Carnacon are not very well liked ,for whatever reason,within Mayo.

This episode has been jumped on by the other clubs in Mayo ,the county board ,other players on the panel,and even posters on here (one poster only has posts on this subject )  to put the boot in.

Carnacon made this about Carnacon.
The players who stayed in the squad didn't.
Not sure how you can dismiss their views out of hand when they significantly outnumber the players who left.

14 players left the squad, I don't know how many players were in the squad at that stage. It is not an insignificant proportion of the squad.
The players who were called into the squad clearly benefited by the 14 who left i.e they are now playing inter county football. Their opinion is not unbiased.
The clubs who voted to have Carnacon throw out of the Championship clearly benefit also ,they now have a chance of winning the Club Championship for the first time in years.

sid waddell

Quote from: JoG2 on September 19, 2018, 11:34:44 AM

Because half the panel won't play for him and because Mayo women's football will be hopelessly and bitterly divided going forward. How will that benefit women's football in Mayo?

A new manager would at least give the team the chance to move forward. As it is, Leahys' position is untenable.

Leahy is in the exactly same position as Mickey Moran, Gerald McCarthy, Teddy Holland, Justin McCarthy, Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes and Anthony Cunningham were.

Most of those at least saw sense and stepped down sooner or later. Mickey Moran and Justin McCarthy didn't and tried to brazen it out. In neither case did things work out well.

More than two thirds of the squad who backed him and "believe that no player welfare issues exist or have ever existed under the current management and categorically disagree with the statement issued in July by the individuals that departed the Mayo senior ladies panel regarding the welfare issues raised". He should just abandon those 26 players who called out the "failed coup" and backed him instead? I'm sure they'd appreciate being left in the lurch like that.

So say Leahy does resign and the best manager in the country is brought in, does he sit there with the threat of a coup hanging over him if he dares to drop certain players? Would those players be happy being benched by a new manager with excellent communication skills?

Look at the history of pervious Mayo managers and how they got on with that group. They had to bring in a priest to train them at one stage as nobody else would touch it. Those select few players are unmanageable, unless they are allowed to exert control themselves.

The evidence of 2017, when they reached the All-Ireland final, would suggest that that's utter balderdash.

The evidence of 2017 would suggest that those players were allowed to exert control. Did you watch the final? It was a joke how their star player carried on.

In fact throughout this thread there has been unsubstantiated statements, drunken pub level stuff used to try and vilify the players involved. Hearsay and conjecture, in other words.

The evidence is there that the players who walked out know what it takes to compete at the highest level, because they have done - within the last year.

The players that walked out made up the minority of the team that got to the final in 2017. Those who didn't walk out also know how to compete at that same level.

Do you know any ladies footballers from Mayo? I do, as I was in college with a number of them. The culture there has been toxic for the best part of a decade, if not longer. Numerous quality players have walked away from it. Numerous managers have quit after short tenure's. This is not a new development.

Can you tell me how Leahy's performance in the job has been in any way competent and why he should remain in the job?

It's not hearsay. As far back as 2010 Pat Costello resigned as manager only weeks before the championship began.

The statement read: ""At a meeting with the executive committee of the Mayo Ladies County Board on April 19, Pat Costello tendered his resignation as manager of the Mayo Ladies senior football team, stating that his position was no longer tenable due to him being constantly undermined by certain players within the panel."

If indeed the setup has been toxic and star player lead, maybe this is Mayo ladies football 'rock bottom' and IF all sides can work through this (in private), this could be a real watershed moment.

Can you tell me how on earth Mayo reached the 2017 final if the team was so unmanageable?

Do you consider the Mayo men's football team unmanageable too, given that they went on strike over what seemed like pretty tenuous issues?

Just women? Behave Sid

And who's to say if Mayo had had a strong manager at the helm they wouldn't have won the final?

You seem to want to throw PL under the bus. From what I've read on hear from Mayo folk, the setup has been player lead, toxic for the best part of a decade, a big majority of the players want to keep the current management team as well as the Mayo CB. Something needs to change, and it's not the management team imo

Mayo performed to the limit of their ability last year. Dublin are a better team, they're the best team in the country by a distance.

The point as regards women is a serious one. There's a distinct tone of misogynism to a lot of the criticism, like a lot of men commenting here seem to be desperate to put a bunch of "uppity women" put back in their box.

There are clear double standards when it comes to women who won't accept being treated like shit by a dinosaur, compared to men.

And forgive me if I'm more inclined to believe players who have reached an All-Ireland final than a convicted fraudster.

JoG2

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 11:48:52 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 19, 2018, 11:34:44 AM

Just women? Behave Sid

Mayo performed to the limit of their ability last year. Dublin are a better team, they're the best team in the country by a distance.

The point as regards women is a serious one. There's a distinct tone of misogynism to a lot of the criticism, like a lot of men commenting here seem to be desperate to put a bunch of "uppity women" put back in their box.

There are clear double standards when it comes to women who won't accept being treated like shit by a dinosaur, compared to men.

And forgive me if I'm more inclined to believe players who have reached an All-Ireland final than a convicted fraudster.

eh?! how do you know this?? Sid, having read this reply I'm out, again with the women / feminist angle, and that final sentence. You're a wum / spoofer, I should have known better tbh

trueblue1234

Sid just out of interest, what are you assessing PL's management on. Is it the statement from the girls that left the panel?
The only reason I ask is that you see 100% that the problems were because of PL's management and not with the girls.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RadioGAAGAA

But your only inclined to believe a minority of those players and not the majority?

Hard to see you as anything but the village contrary clown.
i usse an speelchekor

sid waddell

Quote from: dublin7 on September 19, 2018, 11:39:13 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 10:51:47 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 19, 2018, 10:45:31 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 10:33:42 AM
Parkinson's hypocrisy is laughable.

That was before he interviewed the manager last week and he openly admitted he was in the wrong to question him previously.

For someone who the Carnacon players claim is basically a monster I thought he was more complimentary to Cora Staunton than she deserved. I was at the final last year and every time she got the ball it was shoot on site. Didn't even consider the option to pass to  a teammate. Crazy decisions at times to go her own rather than pass the ball.

Did you see the video of her telling the girls who the manager had delegated the free taking to go away as she was taking them. She did it twice to 2 different players.

These same players pressure their teammates to drop off the panel to force the manager's resignation but they chose to stay and support the manager. To me that only makes for a stronger panel. Not only should the manager not resign but the Carnacon players should apologise to him and their teammates for their actions if they want to play for the county again.
Because he agreed to be a guest on Parkinson's show.

Parkinson has zero integrity and is basically a troll.

12 of your best players dropping off a panel does not make for a stronger panel and only a fantasist could think otherwise. Again, reality is not doing some of the pro-Leahy posters any favours here.

How many players dropped off the Dublin hurling panel under Ger Cunningham? I'd say it was around 12.

Did that make for a stronger panel?

He did agree to be a guest on the show and it was an excellent interview and Parkinson admitted he made the comment you quoted without getting the background to the story. It's hypocritical of you to criticise him when you compare his interview to the so called press conference yesterday. The players did this with only 2 journalists present that they handpicked themselves.

Also they still haven't withdrawn the allegation of an unsafe environment and their claims of mental health issues is to me a cop out. I'm sure it is stressful for them and they are coming under pressure for their stance but to claim that's a mental health issue is over the top and unfair to people with serious mental health issues.

In relation to the dubs, the players who dropped themselves off the dublin panel were from different clubs and clearly there were numerous issues there. In this case the players/selector all came from Caranacon. Does that not strike you as an incredible coincidence? To claim it's jealousy on the part of other clubs/players is so feeble it's laughable. The issue seems to have bound the remaining panel members together and for once it seems a united camp.

Finally do you think it's right for the Carnacon players who walked to then pressure their teammates a few days before a game not to play to force out a manger??

Again you're repeating a lie that you have made before. The players did not all come from Carnacon.

Leahy, like Cunningham, wasn't up to the job.

Cunningham set Dublin hurling back years by remaining when he wasn't wanted.

Leahy will do the same to Mayo if he sticks around. By any standards he has failed to do what a manager is appointed to do - create a happy camp, get the best team on the pitch and get them playing to their ability.

There is no debate about this. It's a massive management failure whatever way you look at it.

The way the Carnacon club and players have been victimised by the Mayo board is shameful.

There are clearly bigger agendas at play here and it absolutely comes down to jealousy over their success.

sid waddell

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2018, 11:59:07 AM

But your only inclined to believe a minority of those players and not the majority?

Some players didn't have issues. Good for them.

How they can speak on behalf of those who so obviously did have issues?

Because that's what they are doing.

sid waddell

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 19, 2018, 11:56:40 AM

Sid just out of interest, what are you assessing PL's management on. Is it the statement from the girls that left the panel?
The only reason I ask is that you see 100% that the problems were because of PL's management and not with the girls.
i) Failing to respect players = failure of management
ii) Failure to create a happy atmosphere within the squad = failure of management
iii) Failure to put the best team on the pitch = failure of management
iv) Having 12 players quit the squad = failure of management
v) Results - the team failed badly in the championship = failure of management
vi) Completely dividing Mayo women's football to the point where Mayo cannot field their best team as long he continues = failure of management

A total failure whatever way you look at it.

JoG2

The picture from the 'press conference' in the link below, are any of these people not Carnacon members?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0918/994464-mayo-ladies-walkout/

dublin7

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 12:07:36 PM

ii) Failure to create a happy atmosphere within the squad = failure of management
vi) Completely dividing Mayo women's football to the point where Mayo cannot field their best team as long he continues = failure of management

He hasn't divided mayo fooball. It's Carnacon players/selector who are against him. All the other players/clubs/co. board support and/or have no issue him and before you say it, I don't believe that's because they're all bitter and jealous in relation to Carnacon's success. It's not some big conspiracy like you claim.

Players also have to resepct the manager. Go to your boss and tell him/her you want to get a consulant in as you don't think he/she is good enough to do their job. See how that works out for you. If I was the manager I'd have dropped her from the panel that night and she wouldn't have the chance to walk out.

trueblue1234

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 12:07:36 PM

But why are you so sure that it was a failure of management that caused 2-6? It's being disputed that it was a failure of some of the players to accept his decisions that caused the problems. So I was just wondering if there's something I'm missing that points the blame at PL rather than the girls. There's hearsay and conjecture from both sides.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2018, 12:01:26 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2018, 11:59:07 AM

Some players didn't have issues. Good for them.

How they can speak on behalf of those who so obviously did have issues?

Because that's what they are doing.

The environment is by its nature a shared one - team sport = shared environment.

Thus, the players who stayed are in every bit as good a position to comment on the team environment as those who attempted mutiny.
i usse an speelchekor