Best dead-ball kicker - ever?

Started by befair, April 02, 2023, 06:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Is Galligan, the Cavan keeper, the best dead-ball kicker ever? Better than Cluxton, Beggan, Morgan? I think so

From the Bunker

Larry Tompkins
Brian Stafford
Maurice Sheridan
Maurice Fitzgerald

Shamrock Shore

Hound

Dean Rock the best Dub ever. Better than Clucko, better than his dad, even better than Jimmy.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 02, 2023, 06:28:43 PM
Larry Tompkins
Brian Stafford
Maurice Sheridan
Maurice Fitzgerald
Has been loads in the past. Apart from goalkeepers kicking them it seems to be a dying art in game.

befair

Agreed there have been many great kickers in the past, with a heavier ball, but I don't recall any putting 45s (and further) over with such metronomic efficiency.

screenexile

Quote from: befair on April 02, 2023, 06:49:00 PM
Agreed there have been many great kickers in the past, with a heavier ball, but I don't recall any putting 45s (and further) over with such metronomic efficiency.

Anthony Tohill

Rossfan

Galligan was the 2nd best dead ball kicker in Croke Park this weekend.
Meanwhile .....
Peter Donoghue
Tony McTague
Cyril Dunne
Brian Stafford
And probably 100 more over the years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

Brian Stafford is a good shout, probably my N1 choice.  Ross Carr didn't miss many either for Down.

lenny

Beggan and niall morgan probably the 2 best at the moment with beggan out in front by a distance. He just makes it look so effortless even long distance ones.

Brick Tamlin

Former kerry player Bryan sheehan needs to be included in this discussion

JimStynes

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 02, 2023, 08:43:21 PM
Former kerry player Bryan sheehan needs to be included in this discussion

Ridiculous length in his kicks as well!

mrdeeds

Rawhide

The best free kicked in croke park was Naill Morgans free V Kerry in the semifinal two seasons ago. Munsterous distance which carried another 10m over the bar
cccc is a true supporter lol

thewobbler

I'd suggest no goalkeeper can be considered in this equation unless you're talking about a long kicking contest. They don't hit the angled 30m and 40m kicks, so can can concentrate on power when practicing.

I'd also suggest that anyone promoting some standout player from the halcyon days just didn't watch Dean Rock closely enough during the noughties. There's never been a free taker as relentlessly reliable, ever.