Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splash

[/quote]

Who's Down's manager now?
[/quote]

Ronan Sheehan from Shamrocks staying on.

Diarmuid 'The Rock' O'Sullivan from Cork, and Barry Mullane and Trevor Fletcher from Tipperary all involved with the management team.

Splash

Quote from: Ed Hardy on December 24, 2023, 08:44:25 AM
Quote from: Splash on December 24, 2023, 02:49:41 AMSee Paul Sheehan has stepped away from the county set up. Will be a big miss for Down.  Great hurler. Was great to see a South Down player be well capable of making a name for themselves amongst the Ardsmen. Hopefully South Down continues to regularly produce inter-county level hurlers.

Hear there's a good few lads away travelling, living abroad etc., but a good few lads who weren't available last year should be back this season. Donal Hughes being back and the Sands brothers being available in particular is a great boost.

Good article in the Irish News about the current lay of the land heading into the 2024 season. Glad to see a bit of optimism around the county scene.

Given the restructuring of the leagues for 2025, our goal this season realistically should be to get promoted to Division One, and retain Joe McDonagh status. There's no-one in Div 2A Down can't beat, and given two teams go up this year, it's a great opportunity. Playing the top counties regularly would be the next step to improving the standard of hurling in Down.

Glad to see Diarmuid O'Sullivan staying with Down. Trevor Fletcher should also be a good addition to the management team given his success at club level recently.

Down hurling seems to be in a good place for this year. Given last year was, on the whole, disappointing, despite the fact Down retained Div 2A and McDonagh Cup status, speaks volumes. A couple of years ago that would have been the dream.

Down Hurling is definitely going in the right direction. Let's hope we've another good year.

My own club has no real hurling background and it's not particularly strong in this area in general, however I have to say I love reading your posts and finding out bits of information about the county hurling team. Keep them coming in 2024! Thanks

Glad to hear, Ed  ;D

Johnnysboys

Quote from: downtothecore on December 24, 2023, 10:21:22 AMWho are the high profile departures from the football team?

Darren O'Hagan and Donal O'Hare gone
Liam Howlett gone too. Mullen in along with Tony Havern.

ck

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 22, 2023, 12:04:26 PM
Quote from: Splash on December 22, 2023, 12:58:27 AMClarke confirmed to stay with Glenn (to clear up any question marks above).

Mitchells and Ballykinlar both definitely not fielding this season then? 

If Darragh Cross do go down to Div 4, the leagues are looking decided already.

Imagine Darragh Cross should win Div 4 no bother.
Imagine Glenn should win Div 3 no bother.
Imagine Bryansford (if they get their house in order) should win Div 2.

Bryansford has significantly regressed in recent years, therefore I don't think they will stroll this division. Since they have been lingering in mid-table for several years, I anticipate that Saul will want to start to challenge and Liatroim and the RGU will also push for promotion. Rostrevor's new manager will likely see them bounce, although they are similar to Bryansford in that all of their finest players are beyond thirty. Division 2 will be the most keenly contested.

Who is Rostrevors new managaer?

skat man

Quote from: ck on December 27, 2023, 10:22:35 PMWho is Rostrevors new managaer?

DJ morgan , did well with carryduff getting them promoted to div 1 and so far as i know a senior final also

Ed Hardy

Any word of the McKenna cup panel?

Square Ball

Bredagh minor hurlers into the Ulster final where we will play Dunloy. Beat Lavey 1-19 to 1-3 this afternoon. Bredagh Abu.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

imtommygunn

That's a strong bredagh team - saw them earlier in the year. Final should be interesting.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Ed Hardy on December 29, 2023, 04:08:06 PMAny word of the McKenna cup panel?

Surely after watching what happened last year - you can't be expecting a panel to be named - and for it to actually be accurate. You do know who our county manager is don't you?? He named ONE accurate team in the whole of the 2023 season.

Splash

Quote from: Square Ball on December 29, 2023, 06:58:56 PMBredagh minor hurlers into the Ulster final where we will play Dunloy. Beat Lavey 1-19 to 1-3 this afternoon. Bredagh Abu.

Fair play to Bredagh. Some Scoreline. Also held Lavey scoreless in the second half?

Dunloy should be a big step up, but I doubt Bredagh fear anybody.

Great example of what a club can do when they put the work in.

johnnycool

Quote from: Splash on December 30, 2023, 02:17:51 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on December 29, 2023, 06:58:56 PMBredagh minor hurlers into the Ulster final where we will play Dunloy. Beat Lavey 1-19 to 1-3 this afternoon. Bredagh Abu.

Fair play to Bredagh. Some Scoreline. Also held Lavey scoreless in the second half?

Dunloy should be a big step up, but I doubt Bredagh fear anybody.

Great example of what a club can do when they put the work in.

Bredagh are a good all round team,  they beat us well in the Down final and that's a good win against a highly fancied Lavey team.

Haven't saw this group of Dunloy hurlers in a few years and they have evidently pushed on a good bit from u15, but Bredagh should fancy their chances.
Can't remember the last time a Down team won this,  so all the best

Sandstorm

Quote from: Johnnysboys on December 29, 2023, 09:42:22 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on December 29, 2023, 04:08:06 PMAny word of the McKenna cup panel?

Surely after watching what happened last year - you can't be expecting a panel to be named - and for it to actually be accurate. You do know who our county manager is don't you?? He named ONE accurate team in the whole of the 2023 season.
[/quote
I see Johnny's lad is getting started early this year. Name a manager that regularly names a correct starting team. I hate the practice but they are all doing it.

Johnnysboys

[/quote
I see Johnny's lad is getting started early this year. Name a manager that regularly names a correct starting team. I hate the practice but they are all doing it.
[/quote]

Just because they all do it doesn't make it right. Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cavan all have panels named. Pick any 15 starters from the 24/28 named - it's fairly straight forward. But yet our county PRO team gets an award... go figure..

ck

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 02, 2024, 10:57:50 PM[/quote

Just because they all do it doesn't make it right. Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cavan all have panels named. Pick any 15 starters from the 24/28 named - it's fairly straight forward. But yet our county PRO team gets an award... go figure..
[/quote]

What exactly is the point of naming incorrect teams? Does it really give the manager an advantage over the opposition? All it seems to do is p*ss everyone off.

marty34

Quote from: ck on January 03, 2024, 08:08:50 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 02, 2024, 10:57:50 PM[/quote

What exactly is the point of naming incorrect teams? Does it really give the manager an advantage over the opposition? All it seems to do is p*ss everyone off.
[/quote]

No benefit in it at all.  I think mamagement think there is but there isn't.  Happens a lot in championship as if a county is getting 'one over' on the opposition.

Is there not a fine in place for naming dummy teams?