China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2020, 07:46:44 AM
Quote from: AFM on March 09, 2020, 07:30:46 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 11:43:09 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 08, 2020, 11:37:46 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-japan-bar-crawl-spread-gamagori-a9384541.html?amp

Some people...

Seen a video of people spitting on buttons in a lift and sneezing on purpose in a lift, purposely  spreading the virus. Some People are cnuts

Takes one to know one I suppose.

What was your last name in here? Possibly medical/mental  issues  I'd say.

It's just a forum don't get too wound up, none of it is serious, your views won't change anything. Very aggressive as well, are you like that in real life?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2013, 11:36:28 AM
Fair play to the lads that are brave enough to tell their stories. Must be like a rollercoaster at times. All different coping methods it seems and as long as they work for you then brilliant. Keep up the fight

But if you call me out on this forum I will use mental health as a way of belittling you, cause I am a lovely guy!   :o

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2020, 07:40:07 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 09, 2020, 12:00:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 11:36:53 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 08, 2020, 11:27:49 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 08, 2020, 11:20:25 PM
You can talk about measures all you want lads but the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link...

Some **** gets tested for the Coronavirus travels to an away game and plays for his team all the while in contact with other people then that evening comes out and tells everyone he has the virus !!!

Yes it's a huge problem and yes we should do what we can to mitigate it but I think at this stage it's far too early to shut everything down let's see how this develops and take appropriate actions when needed rushing to shut the place down could do massive long term damage to people's jobs and livelihoods who may not even be affected by the virus

Dint have to shut everything down but we should stop flights to Itsly, we should postpone paddys day. These are no brainers.

How many events has there been in Ireland since the first case in the north was diagnosed? And since we've known about the virus, how many flights/boats have been stopped going to Britain and beyond? None, postpone Paddy's day! f**k I've heard it now! Next you'll be stopping Mother's Day.

As for the sanitizer, unless it's 70% alcohol it's useless. And only useful if you use it correctly! We touch our face 30 times an hour! Try changing that routine

You are being incredibly contrary. Paddys day is bringing shit loads of visitors from god knows where, its the same logic as why soccer games and rugby games have been postponed already. Large gatherings are a huge risk for one infected person infecting 100s more. The hand washing etc is correct of course but you cannot force people to do that, you can only educate and appeal to their better nature. But sure people like you will probably say what the point washing my hands if someone sneezes in my face, so I wont bother. Mothers day, wise up ta f**k will ya.

People like me who work with the vulnerable in the health sector are constantly using proper procedures daily, long before this virus.

How many sports events have been postponed? Italy v Ireland and the NHL games went ahead yesterday all the PL and soccer divisions played to packed audiences, either they postpone all or none.

Let's see if they postpone the largest gathering of race goers on Tuesday. Mother's Day was a joke wally ;)

People like who work in the health are notorious for not washing their hands. In fact go into your average hospital and you will normally not even see a place to wash your hands in warm water and soap, its all sanitisers which are not the best practice. Part of the reason that horrible virus's and vomiting bugs run wild in hospital is the poor hygiene there of the staff. However, if you were to work in the Medical Device Industry like me you would be washing your hands with special soaps and warm water every time you enter the manufacturing area and you would be sacked if you were caught not doing it.

No, they probably wont cancel these events but that means they are more worried about their pockets and the economy rather than the old people you look after.

Milltown Row2

Trust me in my line of work it's being done, and being done properly for years. But sure you know I'm not  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Was in Germany at the weekend.

They are paying little to no heed to this. No screening. You declare yourself if you've been to wherever. No flights stopped from Italy (from looking at Arrivals etc)

HiMucker

Good website here with plenty of breakdowns on the details:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old   
no fatalities

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2020, 08:55:28 AM
Trust me in my line of work it's being done, and being done properly for years. But sure you know I'm not  ::)

I've a lot of respect for the nurses and doctors that work under great pressure to help people. All I am saying is that the general level of hygiene in hospitals I have been too is poor. I have a relative in a general ward, you walk in and there is only a hand sanitisers, more often than not it is empty. There is no sink to wash your hands other than in the toilets. I see staff move from one patient to another without changing gloves. This is how disease spreads as you well know yourself. So my point is, I would not be holding up your average hospital as being a shining light on hygiene although I am sure there are departments like ICU that are much better than others.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on March 09, 2020, 11:12:24 AM

I've a lot of respect for the nurses and doctors that work under great pressure to help people. All I am saying is that the general level of hygiene in hospitals I have been too is poor. I have a relative in a general ward, you walk in and there is only a hand sanitisers, more often than not it is empty. There is no sink to wash your hands other than in the toilets. I see staff move from one patient to another without changing gloves. This is how disease spreads as you well know yourself. So my point is, I would not be holding up your average hospital as being a shining light on hygiene although I am sure there are departments like ICU that are much better than others.

I suspect that like many aspects of Irish healthcare there is considerable variation in the system, some hospitals or departments are scrupulous about hygiene, some less so. One good thing now is that there are inspections and this has helped.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on March 09, 2020, 11:12:24 AM

Yes and that's the case where it's not possible to have all those measures, for myself I've my own consultation room with wash sink, and for past 6 years since being here followed the procedure or you could lose your job!

It's routine, people are not in a routine unfortunately.

Control your own environment, if that's me being 'I'm alright jack' then fine but if we all did our own things we'd lessen the spread.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on March 08, 2020, 08:03:24 PM
Ah now we are at the nub of it, basically, it's always someone else's fault.

No.

Its blindingly obvious that in this case, the actions of any individual can only do so much.

Ireland (and the rest of UK) is in the fortunate position of being island large enough to be largely self-sufficient, yet small enough that closing borders was a realistic option. Then, after a few weeks to understand the situation and establish infrastructure & procedures, a small and very controlled amount of people could have been let through, with strict quarantine measures in place.

By keeping the existence of the virus to the border entry points only, the burden on health could be managed. NHS/HSE under too much strain? Reduce the flux through the borders.

That would have had a lower impact on the economy than the massive disruption this will cause on a large scale... unless you think the Italian economy is working full steam this week?

Unfortunately, that option was not considered in time. In another 6-8 weeks, I'll reckon they wish they could turn back time and make a different decision.
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

There's a real doomsday outlook with some people. There's 110k cases worldwide out of 6 billion people. Yes take precautions, wash your hands, self isolate etc but just a small bit of perspective would help as well.

Square Ball

Anyone hear anything about that footballer who tested positive? A few different stories doing the rounds.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Milltown Row2

Kids heading off to Amsterdam next weekend, schools sports trip, as of yet no indication that the trip will be cancelled, they are taking information from  government advice on travelling and they are happy enough to go ahead.

I mentioned about the experts we have on this site but they have just waved it off (I jest of course)

The money isn't an issue, their health and that of the others that they would be contact with family wise would be my concern, the only thing i got from a website that i googled on travelling to Holland was don't be buying cocaine!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2020, 12:45:49 PM
Kids heading off to Amsterdam next weekend, schools sports trip, as of yet no indication that the trip will be cancelled, they are taking information from  government advice on travelling and they are happy enough to go ahead.

Danger is probably more passing through the airports than in Holland.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 09, 2020, 12:48:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2020, 12:45:49 PM

Danger is probably more passing through the airports than in Holland.

My thoughts exactly, they are heading off with 72% alcohol based Purell hand rub, no masks!

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on March 09, 2020, 12:44:47 PM
There's a real doomsday outlook with some people. There's 110k cases worldwide out of 6 billion people. Yes take precautions, wash your hands, self isolate etc but just a small bit of perspective would help as well.

I hope you are right but my fear is that the infection is exponential, you can carry it for 14 days I believe without symptoms. I would be very surprised if the 110k is not at 1 million cases in 2 weeks time.