Galway v Tyrone Pearse Stadium 20/5/23 at 5:15pm

Started by Blowitupref, May 17, 2023, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Based on that game I think Tyrone would have the beating of Galway should they meet later on in a neutral ground (though a few extra beards wouldn't go amiss).
I take it that Frank will miss the next game v Armagh,  his red card is beyond appealable even by GAA disciplinary standards. That will leave some big shoulders to fill.

rrhf

I think it needs done away with if 1 player has the ball, it changes the dynamic.

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on May 23, 2023, 05:56:05 AM
I think it needs done away with if 1 player has the ball, it changes the dynamic.
What does that mean? What is 'it'?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Whishtup on May 23, 2023, 12:28:04 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 22, 2023, 11:43:44 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 22, 2023, 11:12:18 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 22, 2023, 10:51:20 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on May 21, 2023, 12:55:54 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 21, 2023, 11:40:55 AM
Getting into whinge territory now, only reason Tyrone lost was the ref.
Cue the gaslight brigade.  Galway were just about worthy winners and even without the red card, I think they would have got over the line. But we have to call out poor decisions and lazy reporting.
I would have the red card as a major factor, the main reason Tyrone lost was that crazy "tackle". Galway were not going well Saturday and were distinctly unimpressive in general. Had Tyrone kept 15 on the pitch they could have easily got at least a draw if not better from the game.
You can take a running jump with your "gaslight brigade" drivel though, I don't appreciate any of the connotations, wherever you are trying to go with it.

I have been on this platform for over 20 years and whilst I respect differing views, reading some of the stuff over the last few pages the tenor of the posts was distantly veering into "Gough rode us sideways and gave the opposition everything" side of things. I've no issue with complaints about the referee (and certainly not Gough) but the tone of the posts was the Gough was brutal hard on Tyrone to the point where it decided the game or that past dealings with Gough meant that Tyrone were at some disadvantage that Galway didn't have to deal with. There is no debate on the red. The black for Morgan is one thing and was harsh undoubtedly in light of what goes on in every match, but trying to bring some form of a false equivalence with Ian Burke's tackle to the Burns red, or to the couple of first half incidents while Galway were on the attack that were hardly frees at all, not to mind allegedly black cards, is laughable. Some of the pointed Tyrone 2nd half frees, which as Manning18 has rightly pointed out, were frees that were soft as f**k. The Daly one in particular was a joke of the highest order. The clearest black card offence of the day happened to Tierney directly in front of Gough and he did nothing.

You can complain about Gough all ye want but when someone calls out what sounds like whinging as whinging, don't be coming with out with this "gaslight" bullshit.

If we are talking about protecting players is that tackle of Burke's not a borderline red too? The tv cameras were far away but at game it was a dangerous heavy tackle around the neck. I thought something was brought out a few years ago to try and cut these type of challenges out.
No I didn't think it was a red at the time, watched it back there would have thought a yellow card was sufficient. Would have been a really harsh red if given and I wonder would it have been shouted for so vociferously if both sides were still at 15 each? It's nowhere near equivalent to the Burns red in any case.

https://twitter.com/MatadorIrish/status/1660573514150100993?s=20
This nonsense on Twitter seems to be the vibe from Tyrone "die hards" by the looks of it, I thought Tyrone were better than the likes of this but clearly I was wrong. You'd swear this was a Cormac Reilly 2014-esque ref performance or something. Maybe better to blame the ref for all current ills rather than wonder why a result, even with numerical disadvantage, couldn't be got against opposition that really underperformed and played one of their worst games so far this year.
I'm referring to "only reason Tyrone lost was the ref." comment. Nobody said that or implied it.  I truly believe that Galway would have won this 15 on 15. But, rightfully or wrongfully to me Gough did us no favours there with a good few other decisions. You seem to be counterwhinging the perceived whinge.
Counterwhinging, gaslighting. Anymore word nonsense you want to bring to the party?

statto

listened to gaa social podcast this morning thought oisin mcconville made a valid point in relation to galway as in they have that much talent up front that only need a few of them to play well in order to get them over the line.  The returns of Cooke and Burke and the development of Tierney as a leader in the team has really helped them and if Walsh or Comer are not at it they still have a chance to win the game. 

What do the Tyrone posters think of their current half forward line?  Obviously Burns will miss out the next day, but to me it is very workmanline but no real x factor there. 

mouview

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 22, 2023, 03:58:25 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 22, 2023, 01:20:14 PM
Burns was definately a red.
Morgan black was a strange one, would love to know the reason for it. If it was for backchatting the ref, surely that's a yellow.

Galway were flat, perhaps the conditions didnt suit them.
If Tyrone had watched the discipline they could have turned Galway over.
Hard to see Galway play so badly again.
Credit to Tyrone, certainly did improve from the last time out. Tyrone v Armagh is mouth watering now because up until this game I fully expected Armagh to win comfortably.

Have watched 5 or 6 Galway games this year against Div 1 opposition each one of them a pure war of attrition, It's not so much playing badly but playing a way for them to win arm wrestles and character building wins if you like.

The swashbuckling style of last and previous years hasn't been seen much in 2023, maybe that will change come the business end of this championship but thus far the change of style seems to be a direct response to the big scores Galway was conceding last year against the likes of Cork,Offaly,Roscommon 3 times and Armagh.

Exactly. On more balanced reflection of the match, don't think Galway were that flat, some of their scores were very well-worked indeed. It's just that they laboured a bit more up front at times, moving laterally rather than going for a quicker 'kill' . Shane Walsh was better on the evening but still seems reluctant to take on opponents (plural) flat out and beat them with pace. It's these searing breaks that open up the room for other forwards to exploit also. I'd also like to see Rob Finnerty bring more of his club form to the table. Ian Burke is a craftier player but Finnerty will score more. Surely both could be accommodated? Galway's defence is still a model of miserliness, though they would be concerned that Tyrone's response scores in the second half were more easily yielded than normal. With both Glynn and McHugh being withdrawn through injury, they can't afford to start losing any more backs either.

Whishtup

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 23, 2023, 10:11:28 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on May 23, 2023, 12:28:04 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 22, 2023, 11:43:44 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 22, 2023, 11:12:18 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 22, 2023, 10:51:20 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on May 21, 2023, 12:55:54 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 21, 2023, 11:40:55 AM
Getting into whinge territory now, only reason Tyrone lost was the ref.
Cue the gaslight brigade.  Galway were just about worthy winners and even without the red card, I think they would have got over the line. But we have to call out poor decisions and lazy reporting.
I would have the red card as a major factor, the main reason Tyrone lost was that crazy "tackle". Galway were not going well Saturday and were distinctly unimpressive in general. Had Tyrone kept 15 on the pitch they could have easily got at least a draw if not better from the game.
You can take a running jump with your "gaslight brigade" drivel though, I don't appreciate any of the connotations, wherever you are trying to go with it.

I have been on this platform for over 20 years and whilst I respect differing views, reading some of the stuff over the last few pages the tenor of the posts was distantly veering into "Gough rode us sideways and gave the opposition everything" side of things. I've no issue with complaints about the referee (and certainly not Gough) but the tone of the posts was the Gough was brutal hard on Tyrone to the point where it decided the game or that past dealings with Gough meant that Tyrone were at some disadvantage that Galway didn't have to deal with. There is no debate on the red. The black for Morgan is one thing and was harsh undoubtedly in light of what goes on in every match, but trying to bring some form of a false equivalence with Ian Burke's tackle to the Burns red, or to the couple of first half incidents while Galway were on the attack that were hardly frees at all, not to mind allegedly black cards, is laughable. Some of the pointed Tyrone 2nd half frees, which as Manning18 has rightly pointed out, were frees that were soft as f**k. The Daly one in particular was a joke of the highest order. The clearest black card offence of the day happened to Tierney directly in front of Gough and he did nothing.

You can complain about Gough all ye want but when someone calls out what sounds like whinging as whinging, don't be coming with out with this "gaslight" bullshit.

If we are talking about protecting players is that tackle of Burke's not a borderline red too? The tv cameras were far away but at game it was a dangerous heavy tackle around the neck. I thought something was brought out a few years ago to try and cut these type of challenges out.
No I didn't think it was a red at the time, watched it back there would have thought a yellow card was sufficient. Would have been a really harsh red if given and I wonder would it have been shouted for so vociferously if both sides were still at 15 each? It's nowhere near equivalent to the Burns red in any case.

https://twitter.com/MatadorIrish/status/1660573514150100993?s=20
This nonsense on Twitter seems to be the vibe from Tyrone "die hards" by the looks of it, I thought Tyrone were better than the likes of this but clearly I was wrong. You'd swear this was a Cormac Reilly 2014-esque ref performance or something. Maybe better to blame the ref for all current ills rather than wonder why a result, even with numerical disadvantage, couldn't be got against opposition that really underperformed and played one of their worst games so far this year.
I'm referring to "only reason Tyrone lost was the ref." comment. Nobody said that or implied it.  I truly believe that Galway would have won this 15 on 15. But, rightfully or wrongfully to me Gough did us no favours there with a good few other decisions. You seem to be counterwhinging the perceived whinge.
Counterwhinging, gaslighting. Anymore word nonsense you want to bring to the party?
Word-nonsense ;D

Whishtup

Quote from: Manning18 on May 22, 2023, 03:47:21 PM
People do realize that Jack Glynn has a suspected broken jaw? Burns may with that one action have ended the lads full summer. How on earth can there not be a punishment for it?

Everyone loves the big fair shoulder to shoulder hit. But it's been fairly clear for years now that if you dont time and make the connection perfectly accurately, you're going to be off
I'm not a fan of the big 'hit' if it's dangerous and Burns has sailed close before, like the Kerry semi 2021. If that was mis-timed it would be dangerous but it wasn't and was deemed a good hit. Tom Cuniffe breaking Harte's collar bone 2013, also a good 'hit'. Should be consistent straight reds for these and ref should be assisted by tv replay.

trailer

Quote from: Manning18 on May 22, 2023, 03:47:21 PM
People do realize that Jack Glynn has a suspected broken jaw? Burns may with that one action have ended the lads full summer. How on earth can there not be a punishment for it?

Everyone loves the big fair shoulder to shoulder hit. But it's been fairly clear for years now that if you dont time and make the connection perfectly accurately, you're going to be off

It was a crazy "tackle". He was close to shoulder to shoulder challenge as I am to the moon. He got it wrong. It was dangerous and high. Straight red all day long. Ref got this call 100% right, even if I felt some marginal calls went against Tyrone.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 22, 2023, 02:53:55 PM
Morgan black was a strange one, would love to know the reason for it. If it was for backchatting the ref, surely that's a yellow.

Credit to Tyrone, certainly did improve from the last time out. Tyrone v Armagh is mouth watering now because up until this game I fully expected Armagh to win comfortably.

I thought this too. Tyrone could have got something in this game if burns had stayed on but he absolutely had to go.

They will still not be easy beat.
It's hard to see Armagh beating Tyrone

statto

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 12:08:31 PM

I thought this too. Tyrone could have got something in this game if burns had stayed on but he absolutely had to go.

Really?  Was the kick of the ball between them in the league and Armagh were missing Rian O'Neill and Murnin who has been in top 3 players this year went off injured after 15/20 minutes.  Tyrone capitulated in the second half against Monaghan who were subsequently hammered in the next game and Tyrone then put up a gallant showing against Galway with 14 men.  While their may be a kick in Tyrone to say it's hard to see Armagh beating them is a bit short sighted.  I think its very much a 50/50 game.  If Armagh beat Westmeath which they should do the pressure will be on Tyrone also given that they could potentially be 0 and 2 and going into a knock out game of sorts with Westmeath in last game. 

seafoid

Quote from: statto on May 23, 2023, 12:30:32 PM

Really?  Was the kick of the ball between them in the league and Armagh were missing Rian O'Neill and Murnin who has been in top 3 players this year went off injured after 15/20 minutes.  Tyrone capitulated in the second half against Monaghan who were subsequently hammered in the next game and Tyrone then put up a gallant showing against Galway with 14 men.  While their may be a kick in Tyrone to say it's hard to see Armagh beating them is a bit short sighted.  I think its very much a 50/50 game.  If Armagh beat Westmeath which they should do the pressure will be on Tyrone also given that they could potentially be 0 and 2 and going into a knock out game of sorts with Westmeath in last game.
I don't think Tyrone's Ulster championship form is relevant. Armagh are a work in progress. And Tyrone will beat Westmeath regardless of what happens in the second match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDlSF22NWo&t=7305s

Captain Obvious

Quote from: statto on May 23, 2023, 12:30:32 PM

Two advantages for Tyrone in the round 2 match.

1. Match in Healy Park
2. Tyrone have two weeks to prepare/rest for the match and it will be Armagh's 2nd match in two weeks.