Galway v Tyrone Pearse Stadium 20/5/23 at 5:15pm

Started by Blowitupref, May 17, 2023, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfetones

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 21, 2023, 09:54:11 AM
Whatever about Gough in general, surely there is no sense of injustice about the red card yesterday?

None. Burns knew himself as soon as he did it.

Redhand Santa

On the game at 7-3 down and reduced to 13 it looked like a hammering on the cards. To be fair Tyrone dug in and out in a spirited performance after that. I never like to take too much from defeats but they got enough out of it to have something to build on. Thought mattie Donnelly put in a huge yet. Worries are the half forward line, Darragh canavan clearly carrying an injury and boys walking away from the panel on championship week leading to the comical situation of a county team having no sub keeper.

I don't think burns meant what happened but enough in it to justify the red, though a similar one was ignored in Killarney. If you are going down the route of protecting players were the rules not changed so that close lines such as Ian Burkes can now be a red card by the letter of the law too?

Sending off Morgan for shouting where's your f'ing card now ref as could be heard in the stand is setting a pretty low threshold for black cards. This also led to a hop ball. When the Galway boys did it after burns tackle the free stood and gough waved them away. Similarly when there was Galway descent for a Tyrone free in the second half he simply moved the ball up.

Nanderson

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 21, 2023, 10:24:47 AM
On the game at 7-3 down and reduced to 13 it looked like a hammering on the cards. To be fair Tyrone dug in and out in a spirited performance after that. I never like to take too much from defeats but they got enough out of it to have something to build on. Thought mattie Donnelly put in a huge yet. Worries are the half forward line, Darragh canavan clearly carrying an injury and boys walking away from the panel on championship week leading to the comical situation of a county team having no sub keeper.

I don't think burns meant what happened but enough in it to justify the red, though a similar one was ignored in Killarney. If you are going down the route of protecting players were the rules not changed so that close lines such as Ian Burkes can now be a red card by the letter of the law too?

Sending off Morgan for shouting where's your f'ing card now ref as could be heard in the stand is setting a pretty low threshold for black cards. This also led to a hop ball. When the Galway boys did it after burns tackle the free stood and gough waved them away. Similarly when there was Galway descent for a Tyrone free in the second half he simply moved the ball up.
You dont believe that those choice of words plus his antics running and jumping to the referee wouldnt count as 'To remonstrate in an aggressive manner to match officials'?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Nanderson on May 21, 2023, 10:31:40 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 21, 2023, 10:24:47 AM

You dont believe that those choice of words plus his antics running and jumping to the referee wouldnt count as 'To remonstrate in an aggressive manner to match officials'?

The way the rules are written by the letter of the law he could have given a black card. But if you are going to give them that easily then there'll be lot more handed out this year. He wasn't anywhere near the referee so it wasn't exactly intimidating. And as I say if you are going down the route of the letter of the law then Galway could have had a black for running at him shouting after burns hit  and burkes tackle given new found interpretation of rules to protect players from high tackles could have been a red.

omagh_gael

Agree that Burns' tackle was dangerous enough to warrant a red. The issue for me will be consistency going forward in other games during the summer.

square_ball

I would have no problem with Morgan's black card if we had seen the same applied in every other match since that rule has come in. I can't remember any other examples? Now Gough has set the standard I'll be expecting several black cards in the remaining matches this year.

Wildweasel74

Morgan a mouth, I seen men getting yellow carded and stimes send of yrs ago, before a black card existing for choice words to a ref. Tyrone in general seem to have a discipline issue. Not sure why there any discussion on Burns card, it was so obvious a red. Only thing I say is that there was a bad tackle in the Donegal, Clare game were McFadden should seen the line.

square_ball

So if players were getting yellow carded in the past there should be loads of examples of players getting a black card since it was a rule? As I said there should be plenty now in the remaining games of the championship.

Whishtup

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 21, 2023, 11:01:21 AM
Morgan a mouth, I seen men getting yellow carded and stimes send of yrs ago, before a black card existing for choice words to a ref. Tyrone in general seem to have a discipline issue. Not sure why there any discussion on Burns card, it was so obvious a red. Only thing I say is that there was a bad tackle in the Donegal, Clare game were McFadden should seen the line.
That's a lazy narrative and was also peddled by the commentators yesterday. Several late, high challenges, drag-backs,etc. by Galway yesterday that nearly lost them the game yet Tyrone are indisciplined. Tyrone did well not to react. 1st free to GalwY after the 2nd half throw in against Kilpatrick was an absolute joke. It's bad when you are trying to avoid teams in the knockout stages but Tyrone will also be keeping an eye on the man in black.

tyrone08

Quote from: Whishtup on May 21, 2023, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 21, 2023, 11:01:21 AM
That's a lazy narrative and was also peddled by the commentators yesterday. Several late, high challenges, drag-backs,etc. by Galway yesterday that nearly lost them the game yet Tyrone are indisciplined. Tyrone did well not to react. 1st free to GalwY after the 2nd half throw in against Kilpatrick was an absolute joke. It's bad when you are trying to avoid teams in the knockout stages but Tyrone will also be keeping an eye on the man in black.

Agreed. It's amazing the amount of fouling teams do but it's always tyrone who have the problem. Before the sending off 2 Galway men should have been black carded for off the ball hits, strangely frees were given but no cards.

An Fhairche Abu

Getting into whinge territory now, only reason Tyrone lost was the ref.

J70

I've been on this board since the early 2000s, and the one constant in the universe through all that time is that referees have always had it in for Tyrone, almost each and every match, win, lose or draw! ;D

Must be great craic altogether in club matches within the county.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway manager Pádraic Joyce is hoping that defender Jack Glynn is not facing an extended period on the sidelines after suffering a suspected jaw injury in their three-point All-Ireland round-robin win over Tyrone on Saturday.

The Claregalway man had to leave the pitch in the 19th minute following a collision with Tyrone's Frank Burns, who was red-carded as a result, and the Tribe boss said that they were concerned about the possible prognosis.

"We lost Jack with the tackle and it looked like a poor challenge on Jack, Frank will admit that himself," Joyce told RTÉ Sport.

"He just mistimed it and hit him in the face. Hopefully he'll be OK but there's a bit of concern on him there.

"He's groggy and he's concussed a little bit. He's more concerned about his jaw now, his jaw could be in a bit of bother. We'll get him to hospital and get him assessed."

While happy with the result, Joyce was less enamoured with the passiveness of his side when Tyrone were reduced to 13 players in the first half after Red Hand goalkeeper Niall Morgan was black-carded soon after Burns' departure.

"It was a poor performance overall by us, at the same time we stuck at it. We probably were the better team on the day but I wouldn't be overly excited about the performance that we put in there.

"[It was] a bit lateral, lacking a bit of energy in the first half, especially when they went down to 13 players with their goalkeeper off the pitch, one of their main players. We just didn't really capitalise on that.

"A couple of pot-shots in the first half as well, we struggled to get scores and we found it hard to work a score. We kind of played into Tyrone's hands a bit as well.

"We knew how they'd set up defensively, we just took the ball into the tackle a few times, we didn't stretch them up the pitch enough and didn't make them chase around a bit more.

"Look, happy to get out of it, they're a top-class side and if you beat Tyrone by three points, any day you'd be happy."

If there was one exception to the rule for the Galway boss, it was for Glynn's replacement Cathal Sweeney.

"I thought Cathal Sweeney came in and had an unmerciful impact on the game. He did his man-marking duties really well in the full-back line, he probably never played there before.

"He attacked the ball, he just carried the fight to them all day and we were just lacking that from the other players on the pitch in the first half, but delighted to get over the line, delighted to win the game."

Tyrone joint-manager Brian Dooher said that they had full designs on leaving with both points, but he was proud of how his team played despite their numerical disadvantage.

"There's no getting away from it, we came down here and intended to take two points from it and it didn't happen," said Dooher, who didn't want to comment on the red card incident having not watched a replay at the time.

"I suppose we had an uphill battle from the start losing a man and then the black card on top of it, it left things very difficult ion the first half.

"We expended a lot of energy to get there and keep the game relatively tight, but I thought the boys worked hard, I couldn't fault them for their application and their attitude.

"Maybe we didn't make the right decision a few times but you're always going to have that. They definitely put in a good shift I thought."

It's now four championship losses in a row for the 2021 All-Ireland champions and it ramps up the pressure ahead of their meeting with Armagh in Omagh in two weeks' time, Kieran McGeeney's side welcoming Westmeath to the BOX-IT Athletic Grounds before that.

"It's going to be a huge game for us and Armagh both," said Dooher, who takes the side with Feargal Logan.

"There's very little between both teams. We saw Armagh last week, they're unlucky not to be Ulster champions.

"We played them a few weeks before that [Allianz league] and there was nothing in it, so it'll be nip and tuck I'm sure.

seafoid

I think there is a good lot for Tyrone to take away from this. The recovery after the Morgan black card was good. The sending off is a controllable factor going forward. And losing to Galway is no shame. Tyrone will be a handful in the quarter final and with Kerry misfiring yesterday the championship is wide open.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

No guarantee Tyrone will reach the Qtr Finals ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM