Galway v Tyrone Pearse Stadium 20/5/23 at 5:15pm

Started by Blowitupref, May 17, 2023, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 20, 2023, 08:15:23 PM
One thing I notice, like the Ulster final last week, everybody giving out about refs, now taking bias out of the way, we can't all be wrong. I watched one of the minor games today and the lack of giving frees for obvious fouls and trying to keep a game tight was mysterious in trying to work what goes through a refs head.

Yeah his sole purpose is to keep the game tight!  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I don't know who wanted more matches but here they are. They will suit a team like Tyrone who can experiment with different ideas and no jeopardy.,
Tyrone used the qualifiers to do something similar in 05 and 08. Galway can use the time to fix problems as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lenny

Quote from: seafoid on May 20, 2023, 08:41:37 PM
I don't know who wanted more matches but here they are. They will suit a team like Tyrone who can experiment with different ideas and no jeopardy.,
Tyrone used the qualifiers to do something similar in 05 and 08. Galway can use the time to fix problems as well.

Poor enough game between 2 very defensive sides. The conditions made it a tough watch. Tyrone were very cynical and Galway weren't far behind.

Manning18

Quote from: lenny on May 20, 2023, 08:43:57 PM

Poor enough game between 2 very defensive sides. The conditions made it a tough watch. Tyrone were very cynical and Galway weren't far behind.

Neither team are defensive. Tyrone were admirable in pressing kickouts a man down in the second half but they were hamstung by being that man down an it limited what they could do. Galway had the lead so it would be madness to not conserve it a man up. Galway were involved in the two best games of last year's championship

Blowitupref

Quote from: Manning18 on May 20, 2023, 09:03:43 PM

Neither team are defensive. Tyrone were admirable in pressing kickouts a man down in the second half but they were hamstung by being that man down an it limited what they could do. Galway had the lead so it would be madness to not conserve it a man up. Galway were involved in the two best games of last year's championship

Those games were a bit more open last year to be fair.  Galway have focused more on their defensive system/structure this year and from it the highest score Galway have conceded in league and championship has been 14 points.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

trueblue1234

Quote from: Manning18 on May 20, 2023, 09:03:43 PM

Wouldn't worry Manning. Lenny is a c- level troll. Has a persecution complex about Derry being labelled defensive so unlike them, has decided to go on the all out attack by calling other counties defensive.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

ONeill

Hard to read much into that. Conditions seemed brutal. Tyrone had a good goal chance early on and at 15v15 both sides looked even enough, Galway slightly the better side.

Fair call on the red. Gough can be hard to read at times. When you think he has a vendetta against you, he can give you a series of easy ones.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

restorepride

Tír Eoghain are much better than recent results suggest and will improve when they reach the quarterfinals. Will still have a big say at the business end of things which is still far away.

Manning18

In very tough circumstances, especially down to 13 for a period, i thought Tyrone were impressive enough. Galway were disappointing nothwithstanding. Tyrones game management and running game, especially in the second half was impressive enough. They handled the Galway attacks well in the second half also and there were little to no goal chances. They'll be a handful for anyone going forward and I wouldn't look forward to meeting them in Croker

onefineday

I think more matches has been something the vast majority of gaa supporters have been wanting or years now. As for the moans on here around the new system, give it a chance. For all the talk about only losing 4 teams, this series of group games will throw up some nice fixtures and as today showed, there's enough of an incentive to win to make sure that nobody is taking these games lightly. We'll see how it pans out with the next two rounds, and the appetite will be truly whetted by the time the knockout games arrive, with no excuses anymore about teams progressing there via weak province's or no challenges.

Rossfan

I don't know who wanted more matches
90% + of Congress delegates.
Players too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Thought Sweeney was very good after he came on. Was one of the few Galway players who wanted to drive forward and break the line. Think it's fairly clear now that Galway don't want to gift the opposition turnovers and counter attacks so there is a lot of slow methodical build ups and attacks. While they work players into shooting positions. I think they can afford to be a bit less conservative to be honest and move ball more quickly to the forwards. They did it a couple times and got scores from it but their main focus is definitely on not conceding turnovers. Because they know from the stats that turnover scores killed them last year. Especially in the final. it doesn't lead to exciting football though.

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on May 20, 2023, 09:48:05 PM
Hard to read much into that. Conditions seemed brutal. Tyrone had a good goal chance early on and at 15v15 both sides looked even enough, Galway slightly the better side.

Fair call on the red. Gough can be hard to read at times. When you think he has a vendetta against you, he can give you a series of easy ones.

Exactly. Gough is a decent ref.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

His sending off percentage of Tyrone players is great.. no other man in history sends them off like gough.  Fair play to him..

An Fhairche Abu

Whatever about Gough in general, surely there is no sense of injustice about the red card yesterday?