Cryptocurrency

Started by gallsman, September 01, 2017, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 07, 2021, 03:50:29 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on April 07, 2021, 10:31:21 AM
Looking to start into the Crypto game. Would any of you fine people care to point me in the right direction, on where to even begin?

Bonus from work needs spending, since holidays to USA out of the picture!

1) App to use
2) What to lean towards
3) What to buy into 1st etc.

After you have done what Mikhael suggested and got started with Binance I would suggest (but not financial advice) you could probably go for something like:
Bitcoin 50%
Ethereum 30%
And then split your other 20% between the next tier (Polkadot, Cardano, Chainlink or the true alt-coins where you can go after big potential gains as they are much riskier).

That's probably a decent long term strategy with the potential for good growth, but you aren't heavy on the coins that could go 30x or 40x in a short time.

Alternatively go 100% Bitcoin cos everything else depends on it and will will go tits up before it does

RedHand88

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 07, 2021, 08:57:55 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 07, 2021, 06:45:00 PM
Fella I know was 130k up yesterday, 85k of that shaved off today. This man works the typical 9-5. I dont know how these boys sleep at night.

That is crazy considering it is down by less than 4% today!!

Leverage trading, and its not bitcoin, its some obscure altcoins that go up and down 50% a day!

Seamus

Quote from: StPatsAbu on April 08, 2021, 12:51:35 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 07, 2021, 03:50:29 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on April 07, 2021, 10:31:21 AM
Looking to start into the Crypto game. Would any of you fine people care to point me in the right direction, on where to even begin?

Bonus from work needs spending, since holidays to USA out of the picture!

1) App to use
2) What to lean towards
3) What to buy into 1st etc.

After you have done what Mikhael suggested and got started with Binance I would suggest (but not financial advice) you could probably go for something like:
Bitcoin 50%
Ethereum 30%
And then split your other 20% between the next tier (Polkadot, Cardano, Chainlink or the true alt-coins where you can go after big potential gains as they are much riskier).

That's probably a decent long term strategy with the potential for good growth, but you aren't heavy on the coins that could go 30x or 40x in a short time.

Alternatively go 100% Bitcoin cos everything else depends on it and will will go tits up before it does

51% of all BTC miners are in China. How many miners you may ask? Just 4, so 4 miners control 51%. This could make BTC vulnerable to an attack and take over. Doubtful, but one can never be sure, especially in a communist country. XRP is the main coin in the middle of the new Financial System, so when they get through with their court case in June it will be on its way to far higher gains. It is highly possible that the court case is a charade. They are repeatedly mentioned in IMF, BIS and UN documents. Three other coins of note will be there along with XRP when it is finally rolled out.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

yellowcard

Need to educate myself on the workings of this though I'm not sure I'll be investing as it sounds like a boom or bust phenomenon.

Plus from what I've been told anecdotally, it is a haven for money laundering and to expect a spate of tax interventions in the future. What are the tax implications of any gains made is it similar to the buying and selling of shares?

imtommygunn

I think you are ok unless you are into capital gains territory.

It is hugely volatile. Went in for a while, made a grand and pulled it out. Might do some smaller investments and keep them in long haul.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: yellowcard on April 08, 2021, 10:11:53 PM
Need to educate myself on the workings of this though I'm not sure I'll be investing as it sounds like a boom or bust phenomenon.

Plus from what I've been told anecdotally, it is a haven for money laundering and to expect a spate of tax interventions in the future. What are the tax implications of any gains made is it similar to the buying and selling of shares?

I firmly believe that while there will be drops again there is less volatility over time as it becomes more established.  It is some sign when Blue Chip companies are publicly parking cash in Bitcoin.

And yes, a gain on a Crypto asset in the UK is treated just the same as a gain on a share outside of an ISA, ie an annual limit of something like £12,300 per annum.

gallsman

One thing to be aware of given how easily it's done - exchanging one crypto for another is considered a taxable event.

5times5times

Pal has been doing the dollar cost averaging method on Coinbase.

Put £2000 in at the start, and puts £200 in per month.

Seems to be a good way of avoiding any major volatility / emotion of market movement?

Smokin Joe

I see Bitcoin just hit an All Time High of $63,287 this morning.

I guess this could be the start of a decent move upwards. 
But whatever it does for the rest of today / this week I don't think I can stress how it is important for everyone to hold some BTC as I can't see anything other than it significantly increasing in value over the next 5 years as it becomes a more mainstream and "acceptable" Store of Value.

I don't see the huge dips being repeated as there are more institutional investors and companies who would be willing to be any dips this time. Last cycle I don't think it was seen as a "respectable" asset.  In my view, I think that has now changed.

I could be wrong, but I'm happy to bet on it increasing in value by orders of magnitude from here.

clarshack

trailer

Quote from: clarshack on April 13, 2021, 01:18:59 PM
XRP flying atm too.

Someone told me here not to sell mine and I actually bought more.
EDIT - It was you clarshack so thanks for the tip.

thejuice

Yep. It seems to be different this time alright but I wasn't invested in the last bull run. XRP only took off as bitcoin slumped in 2017-2018. Seems like everything is making moves roughly at the same time. Bitcoin makes a move and consolidates then others rise and the cycle repeats. DOT and KSM have been moving sideways for a while though.

Coinbase going public tomorrow will be interesting to watch. Might buy some shares once the market settles on its price, I think it's starting about $250. Company worth an estimated $100 billion.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Mikhail Prokhorov

walmart are going to announce they've bought 1 billion worth of bitcoin next month, this will boost the price like it did when tesla did the same thing

if they allow customers to use it then that's big as their base is massive, way bigger than tesla

it's also a great hedge against fiat currency as hyper inflation is not that unlikely in the coming years

smelmoth

Tulips from Amsterdam

charlieTully

Any difference to this than gambling ?