Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 26, 2018, 03:47:46 PM
Yes they were Tony
Will you stop spouting crap? Monaghan led us by 4 points with one minute left in normal time and 5 minutes to be added on when Donie snatched at that half chance for a goal.
And your theory is they were taking it handy, in second gear, because they knew the game was in the bag?
That's some line of thinking to be fair...

Jd

Oh lord we've had a fairly good year given where we were coming from and yet some people on here want to belittle the efforts of boys that trained from last October and the only credit they get from some people is "ah Dublin were at half pace or Monaghan weren't trying or so and so isn't good enough to play county football " I'd love to see some of these experts try to last two weeks of what them players put in on a shitty wet night in January before commenting or putting a lad down. They have my thanks and gratitude !!

BallyroanAbu

Nobody is knocking what Laois have done this year,  and to the general public the narrative is fine.  However by implying that we were competitive with Dublin or Monaghan leads you to believe that we will be competitive with Div 1 teams next year.  When in reality that's far from the truth, what Laois need to do is consistently improve rather than talking about some magic overnight transformation.  We need to year on year improve, this year was a fine start we should improve on it.   I think I have always been fair in this regard.  There is no reason we can't achieve a level of consistency like Monaghan have done over the last 5 years by hard work over a period of time like everyone else.

Laoiseabu

There needs to be some middle ground here. I feel Sugrue got as much out of them this year as he possibly could . Div 4 Champs . Leinster final appearance . We can't delude ourselves either . A lot of the key players are over 30 now which Means that there will be a large rebuilding process ahead. Things may get bumpy again before they get better as there isn't many coming through to replace our older heads but John Sugrue seems to be a good candidate in the long term to try and Make us competitive again.

High Fielder

I don't subscribe to the "not much coming through" argument. I think there's plenty of good footballers out there. In my opinion, John Sugrue is a mile clear of any other coach in Laois. In my opinion, he is capable of getting the best out of individuals and teams, and I honesty don't believe anyone else in Laois can; be it club or county. Unfortunately, there is only one John Sugrue and not every player will get the benefit of his guidance. If I was an up and coming coach in Laois, I would seriously consider going outside the county to try and gain some proper experience. There is nothing to be learned doing things the way we have done them this last however many years. Our preparation is miles off. Our coaching is miles off. And consequently, our teams have been miles off too. There have always been good footballers in Laois and there will continue to be. It's what we do with them that matters.

Joeythelips

Quote from: High Fielder on July 28, 2018, 12:11:34 PM
I don't subscribe to the "not much coming through" argument. I think there's plenty of good footballers out there. In my opinion, John Sugrue is a mile clear of any other coach in Laois. In my opinion, he is capable of getting the best out of individuals and teams, and I honesty don't believe anyone else in Laois can; be it club or county. Unfortunately, there is only one John Sugrue and not every player will get the benefit of his guidance. If I was an up and coming coach in Laois, I would seriously consider going outside the county to try and gain some proper experience. There is nothing to be learned doing things the way we have done them this last however many years. Our preparation is miles off. Our coaching is miles off. And consequently, our teams have been miles off too. There have always been good footballers in Laois and there will continue to be. It's what we do with them that matters.

Another point to mention here is that Sugrue did have a bit of an unknown quality to him, and given the mess Laois have been in recent years it would be hard har for some to fully commit to inter county level. After seeing how Laois performed this year it is clear to all involved that we have a management team who can get the best out of our players so anyone else out there who wants to commit can no longer go in half hearted. Sugrue will have had a good opportunity to take a look at the club scene.

Chrimtain

Hope Kerry don't look to John Sugrue to replace Fitzmaurice.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Chrimtain on August 06, 2018, 01:46:53 PM

That would be a bit of a leap considering some of the candidates available!
Part of the backroom team perhaps?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 06, 2018, 02:08:16 PM
Quote from: Chrimtain on August 06, 2018, 01:46:53 PM

That would be a bit of a leap considering some of the candidates available!
Part of the backroom team perhaps?
Not a stretch at all truth be told.

redsetanta

They might go with the tried and tested in JAck O'Connor. He did manage a lot of those young lads to minor All Irelands. He would be the right man for a year or two. Surely Kerry are planning to stop Dublins 5 in a row.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Uisce

As much of a blow as it would be for Laois I would be happy for John if he did get an opportunity to go for the job. I would be surprised if it wasn't an ambition of his and I agree that it wouldn't be a big surprise if Kerry did approach him!

Keyser Söze

Jack O' Connor, Liam Kearns, Pat O' Shea and Peter Keane are all deservedly ahead of him in the pecking around.
Sugrue is a proven coach, and has done a good job as Laois manager.

But a Division 4 title at intercounty level is not going to be sufficient to
A) Match the guys mentioned above
B) Entice an already embattled Kerry County Board to take a chance on him. They have received serious flack from within for back Fitzmaurice for as long as they did. They are not going to take this unnecessary chance.

Add to all of the above that he has a young family and a business that is a 6 hour round trip from Killarney (up to 5 times per week).

This is not going to happen.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

John is well respected in Kerry circles. His achievement in winning a county title with an unfancied South Kerry side was a serious one, and treated accordingly down south.

I'd hope to God we don't lose him, but he's a much more desirable option than a Kearns.

As for the Kerry CB worried about taking flak, if they were that way inclined, they'd not have given EF another 3 years last Autumn. The Kerry CB will do their own thing in the best interest of Kerry GAA. If they believe Sugrue is the man, they won't give a f**k who says what.

The logisitics would be the issue, but do not underestimate the temptation if it comes up.  The savage loves his native shore.

Unlaoised

Its a job he would find hard to turn down should he get offered.

A massive loss to Laois if he went.

A good year would be nearly wasted.

With John in charge I feel we can get through div 3 next year in fact id be confident!
LAOIS ABÚ