Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I really think Gary has been given a raw deal to be honest. He's the top scorer out of all 4 leagues earlier this year - and since then he's played maybe 10 mins in all the championship. Not sure if there's something else going on there but he's a proven scorer and very cool under pressure and gives you something different. If not starting, I'd give him a good 30min+. In my opinion, we've no better free taker. In a match that could be close and tense like Monaghan could be, you need almost all your frees going over the bar to have a chance. That's why I was a little bit disappointed with Donie vs Dublin. He missed some very scorable frees and chances that could have made a game of it for longer vs Dublin. Free kicks are massive. Not having a go at Donie, he's a great player and still deserves his place. But maybe lets take some of the edge off it for him by starting Gary and have him main freetaker. I'd have faith in him keeping the scoreboard ticking over for us and contributing from play, too.

Chrimtain

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2018, 12:59:38 PM
I really think Gary has been given a raw deal to be honest. He's the top scorer out of all 4 leagues earlier this year - and since then he's played maybe 10 mins in all the championship. Not sure if there's something else going on there but he's a proven scorer and very cool under pressure and gives you something different. If not starting, I'd give him a good 30min+. In my opinion, we've no better free taker. In a match that could be close and tense like Monaghan could be, you need almost all your frees going over the bar to have a chance. That's why I was a little bit disappointed with Donie vs Dublin. He missed some very scorable frees and chances that could have made a game of it for longer vs Dublin. Free kicks are massive. Not having a go at Donie, he's a great player and still deserves his place. But maybe lets take some of the edge off it for him by starting Gary and have him main freetaker. I'd have faith in him keeping the scoreboard ticking over for us and contributing from play, too.

You have some neck to anonymously criticise players who have trained throughout the winter and have given of their best to the county.

Tony

Listen Snowflake, saying that I was "a little bit disappointed with Donie vs Dublin" is not offending anyone but you. I clearly stated that he's a great player and clearly deserves his place. Crawl back under your rock there and continue to listen to Fall Out Boy.

les Antiques

Chrimtain, that's a bit out there don't you think . Hardly Criticism in fairness . Is there something your not telling us .
Personally I think Gary Walsh starting would take some of the burden off Donie Sunday . Wylie and Monaghan will be targeting Donie and perhaps Walshs presence in beside would be advantageous. Evan playing further put where I think he's more effective at This level .

Tony

I'd go with something like this:

Brody

Strong Timmons Dillon

Damien O Connor

Crowley Begley Collins

JOL Lillis

Evan O'C  P Kingston Donoher

Donie    Gary Walsh

les Antiques

Going with that team Tony except I think Farrell will start , perhaps at Paul Kingstons expense .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Hard to disagree with that team Tony, I think it would be perfect..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Gmac

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 05, 2018, 06:40:56 PM
Hard to disagree with that team Tony, I think it would be perfect..
monaghan corner backs and Wylie would be up and down the field all day I think with those 2 inside , also Donie has a good height advantage on Wylie which could be exploited by the occasional high ball in . Laois have to score about 1-16 to win and allow no more than 1 goal .
think it could be a close one .

Don Draper

Chrimtain

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2018, 08:26:14 PM
What's your team don?

Very good interview with John Sugrue, pre Monaghan: https://m.soundcloud.com/midlandssport/john-sugrue-pre-monaghan

If they lose, you'll be the first to attack them on Monday morning. It seems you can criticise the players, but woe betide anyone who contradicts your view.   

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 05, 2018, 09:54:43 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2018, 08:26:14 PM
What's your team don?

Very good interview with John Sugrue, pre Monaghan: https://m.soundcloud.com/midlandssport/john-sugrue-pre-monaghan

If they lose, you'll be the first to attack them on Monday morning. It seems you can criticise the players, but woe betide anyone who contradicts your view.

I'd have Tony down as one of the least critical, many things you can accuse him of, but been critical is not one.  I would say guilty of blind loyalty more than anything else.

High Fielder

Yeah I'd second that Ballyroan. Tony and Junior are two of the good guys. There are a few crankies, and I'd rank myself amongst them, but Tony and Junior generally drink from a half full glass. I found the above intervention a little odd, but look, that's the internet for you. You won't get on with everyone all of the time. I think in the main, we are respectful towards our lads and the effort they give. I know I wanted to say something in the context of the above debate about the team for Sunday, but decided not to do so because it might have been too critical.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

So what if it's a bit critical High Fielder, no one minds a bit of constructive critisism especially from a respected poster like yourself. Sometimes lads pop in and out of this forum throwing in a few low blows with very little substance to them.
Very few pay any heed to their comments as they mean very little but then there are lads that post and even if it is a bit critical almost everyone knows that what's being said is for the right reasons, to improve our teams and get behind them. It's an open forum and I think the majority of people here respect all our players and mostly keep insults to the minimum.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Leixlad

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2018, 04:32:41 PM
I'd go with something like this:

Brody

Strong Timmons Dillon

Damien O Connor

Crowley Begley Collins

JOL Lillis

Evan O'C  P Kingston Donoher

Donie    Gary Walsh

No sweeper please just go for it  :D Its Monaghan, we have footballers to beat them! No seriously i hate the sweeper. I know it must be used at times but let the full back line mark their men man on man and trust them. Will they drop someone out the field themselves, probably, leaving a free man. Let the free man cover the other 2 and help out. Play another in the full forward the instead where we have a threat,  leave 3 up instead of 2 free defenders. What the hell.

Also i think you have some neck leaving players off your team as you sit anonymously on the internet!  8)