All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Lads, I removed my response to hardstation's second post there. Obviously a bit of an overreaction, I just don't like when any players are insulted on here, and when it's someone I know and have seen develop since he was 16, I find it harder to bite my tongue. Anyway, I removed the post, but I still think hardstation's original post was OTT.

(As for me w**king off Declan O'Sullivan, nah, I'd say he's sorted out there at home.) :D

yellowcard

In a poor match the game was settled by a howler from Durcan who will have nightmares about that kick out. Aside from that I thought there was nothing between the teams but fair play to Fitzmaurice it was a fine managerial performance to lead that Kerry side to an All Ireland. Not a vintage side by any means but in the modern game the system will prevail every day over individual flair.

brokencrossbar1

Congratulations to Kerry.  People are saying it was a poor game but I think that it was a brilliant example of the 'modern' game where the tactical set up is key.  Tactically Fitzmaurice got it bang on.  Pressure on the kickouts in key areas and Murphy and McHugh swarmed out of it.  I agree that there is a serious blind-spot for Jimmy when it comes to McFadden as I thought that he has been very poor all year.

People are questioning Donaghy and the whole rant about Brolly but it is clear that there was something said in terms of motivation about this team being written off.  Marc O'Se made reference to it in his interview.  Donaghy is a very passionate and was full of adrenaline.  As far as he is concerned not one f**k will be given about what he said and there would jave been great craic about it after the event. 

The comments by O'Se in terms about the team in transition intrigued me.  It is something that you hear quite a lot and has been accepted by many.  I actually think that great teams (Kerrys,  Kilkennys etc) are never really in or out of transition as they are constantly rebuilding and bringing through great players. 

yellowcard

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 22, 2014, 09:47:21 AM
Congratulations to Kerry.  People are saying it was a poor game but I think that it was a brilliant example of the 'modern' game where the tactical set up is key.  Tactically Fitzmaurice got it bang on.  Pressure on the kickouts in key areas and Murphy and McHugh swarmed out of it.  I agree that there is a serious blind-spot for Jimmy when it comes to McFadden as I thought that he has been very poor all year.

People are questioning Donaghy and the whole rant about Brolly but it is clear that there was something said in terms of motivation about this team being written off.  Marc O'Se made reference to it in his interview.  Donaghy is a very passionate and was full of adrenaline.  As far as he is concerned not one f**k will be given about what he said and there would jave been great craic about it after the event. 

The comments by O'Se in terms about the team in transition intrigued me.  It is something that you hear quite a lot and has been accepted by many.  I actually think that great teams (Kerrys,  Kilkennys etc) are never really in or out of transition as they are constantly rebuilding and bringing through great players.

Far from a great team.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2014, 09:54:29 AM

Far from a great team.

I should clarify this by saying historically great teams.

yellowcard

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 22, 2014, 09:58:28 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2014, 09:54:29 AM

Far from a great team.

I should clarify this by saying historically great teams.

I agree with your general point, this Kerry team will probably get better in the next few years as they seem to have refocused at underage level but there are very few stand out performers in it at the minute. I'd imagine Declan O Sullivan with his dodgy knees will retire and Marc O Se and O Mahoney will be contemplating it as well but there seems to be a few fine players on that minor team.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2014, 09:42:35 AM
Lads, I removed my response to hardstation's second post there. Obviously a bit of an overreaction, I just don't like when any players are insulted on here, and when it's someone I know and have seen develop since he was 16, I find it harder to bite my tongue. Anyway, I removed the post, but I still think hardstation's original post was OTT.

(As for me w**king off Declan O'Sullivan, nah, I'd say he's sorted out there at home.) :D

Was it Pullhard that posted that ?.

AZOffaly

orangeman

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/family-court-of-king-james-287740.html

Kerry men can tell a great story and seem to have total recall of events way back in the day ( probably half truth and half lies, most of it ).

Paul Murphy didn't play minor and JOD in his first year on the minors didn't make the first 25.

Canalman

Well done Kerry.

Have to say I had a wry smile at the end when I saw the tee incident. Donegal minors did a similiar thing vs us in the semi final towards the end.

Ultimately personal errors and bad luck cost Donegal the win which they could easily have eked out.

Always and still  like Donaghy. Bit of the cockiness  about him and great viewing watching him play.

WT4E

Woeful final - Worst I've seen - PUKE Kerry football!

tonto1888

Congratulations to Kerry. Loads of people saying it was the worst game of football they have ever seen are clearly exaggerating. While it wasnt Dublin Kerry from last year it certainly was not the worst game ever.