Kerry v Galway, All-Ireland Senior Football Final. 24 July, 2022

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 11, 2022, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: square_ball on July 14, 2022, 10:15:49 AM
There's not many ex Galway players in the media compared to Kerry so there'll not be much fuss kicked up. This was from when Gough was appointed in 2019 and he's not even a member of the St Jude's club: https://www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/defence-david-gough-415665 so you can only imagine if it was the opposite way about.

Half the country lives in Dublin ffs.
Kerry people are wild.

Rossfan

2022 Census
Pop 26 Cos 5.1m
Pop Dublin 1.45m
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gael85

Quote from: blanketattack on July 14, 2022, 10:52:47 AM
There's not many ex Galway players in the media compared to Kerry so there'll not be much fuss kicked up. This was from when Gough was appointed in 2019 and he's not even a member of the St Jude's club: https://www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/defence-david-gough-415665 so you can only imagine if it was the opposite way about.

That was more to do with Gough's brutal refereeing decisions in the Dublin-Kerry 2016 semi-final, including a stone wall red card that wasn't even given as a free, rather than specifically being St. Jude's related.

Hurson comes in with a clean slate and so deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Gough missed two black cards on Donaghy and O'Mahony in 2016 game. Fitzmaurice forgot to mention that. Some of the stuff coming out of kerry was embarrassing. If had issues with Gough why not flag before game. Dublin got very little off Gough in 2019 final.

An Fhairche Abu

This is by far the most pertinent point, as we saw with the Gough stuff in the run up to the 2019 final, if the roles were reversed and Tally was still a coach with Galway we'd be in full Kerry media mafia campaign mode right now.

seafoid

It's weird to think that the championship is almost over. Cad a dhéanfaimíd feasta?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2022, 11:17:30 AM
It's weird to think that the championship is almost over. Cad a dhéanfaimíd feasta?

Use to be a tradition of climbing the Reek in the morning and then heading off to the Connacht final in the afternoon. All done and dusted before Reek Sunday now.

bogball88

blanketattack

Quote from: bogball88 on July 19, 2022, 12:20:24 PM
Is there many tickets floating about for this?

Yeah, the most I've ever seen, have turned down 3 already which is incredible for a Monday and Tuesday before the final.
Must be a combination of foreign holidays, the Galway races, no minor game and cost of living.
Definitely everyone who wants to go will get s ticket.

Captain Scarlet

In terms of the game itself I would not have fancied Galway v Dublin, but I think they will give Kerry a fair rattle.
If they can get the Kerry forwards running back then they will really upset them. Sean Kelly went on some serious runs off the ball v Derry but it dragged a marker away up the field too.

In the air Moran is class and great on the ball too, but Galway have a lot of very big mobile men around the middle.

There was good insight here for match-ups in the Derry game, so who will mark who this time out? I do think Shane Walsh will get more freedom against Kerry...

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

Quote from: blanketattack on July 19, 2022, 03:34:18 PM
Quote from: bogball88 on July 19, 2022, 12:20:24 PM
Is there many tickets floating about for this?

Yeah, the most I've ever seen, have turned down 3 already which is incredible for a Monday and Tuesday before the final.
Must be a combination of foreign holidays, the Galway races, no minor game and cost of living.
Definitely everyone who wants to go will get s ticket.

And a much smaller number of season ticket holders in the 2 Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Derry averaged 22 points per game leading into the semi-final. Kerry so far are averaging 23 points per game. Galway held Derry to 9 points by setting up with 15 men behind the bar from the throw in. Would be daft if Galway deviated from their ultra blanket against superior forwards.

Galway by 4

God14

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 19, 2022, 04:09:27 PM
In terms of the game itself I would not have fancied Galway v Dublin, but I think they will give Kerry a fair rattle.
If they can get the Kerry forwards running back then they will really upset them. Sean Kelly went on some serious runs off the ball v Derry but it dragged a marker away up the field too.

In the air Moran is class and great on the ball too, but Galway have a lot of very big mobile men around the middle.

There was good insight here for match-ups in the Derry game, so who will mark who this time out? I do think Shane Walsh will get more freedom against Kerry...

Agree there was some good analysis on the match ups, mainly from the Derry wans to be fair. Complete absence of it on here for the final

I actually think Moran will struggle a bit on Sunday. McDaid and Conroy look a more balanced pairing. McDaid has the legs, and Conroy has the aerial prowess. Moran at 34 years old now, this is likely his last outing for Kerry

Galway need to repeat the defensive performance of the semi final, that will be difficult as Derry ran out of ideas fairly early in the contest. Derry spent the second half going through the emotions, defending a deficit. Kerry wont entertain that sort of madness on Sunday.

That said i still think Galway have an excellent chance. Kerry are certainly beatable, I agree with Oisin McConville when he says he doesnt trust their mentality. if the game is in the balance in the closing stages, its Galway for me.

Blowitupref

Quote from: JoG2 on July 19, 2022, 04:34:34 PM
Derry averaged 22 points per game leading into the semi-final. Kerry so far are averaging 23 points per game. Galway held Derry to 9 points by setting up with 15 men behind the bar from the throw in. Would be daft if Galway deviated from their ultra blanket against superior forwards.

Galway by 4

Derry average would have included 10 or 11 goals scored? And Galway had a clear tactic to not allow goals to be conceded after what happened to neighbours Clare.

Lack of a Plan B was as much to why Derry scored a mere 1-6 against Galway.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

onefineday

Quote from: JoG2 on July 19, 2022, 04:34:34 PM

Galway by 4
Would be absolute madness for Galway to try to play the same game versus Kerry, but I'm sure O'Neill knows that (he was with Kerry too for a while?).
The two big differences are firstly Kerry will take their shots from 35 yds and outwards - Derry had opportunity after opportunity to take a shot and repeatedly tried to work it closer for a better opportunity. Once a few of those go over, the defending team realise their tactic isn't working and have to come out.
The second big difference is Clifford - they can play the high ball in and he'll win it, geaney is a big guy too, so that's another option.
I don't think this game will he a contest unfortunately, setting myself up for a fall here, but it's kerry by 10.for me - at best Galway might get a few garbage time scores to leave just 7 in it.